Author Topic: Turn #67 - Siege of Ilien  (Read 15103 times)

Offline X-Medoere & RCS/KE (Thorsten)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 22
Re: Turn #67 - Siege of Ilien
« Reply #60 on: June 16, 2010, 04:08:26 PM »

“Thank you, Your Grace. I will debate it with General Ghant and draw up something to send to the Ilienese… what?”
Noticing the grim looks on many of the present, Kaven hangs his head somewhat and gives a small sigh.
“Right.”

He rises, wobbling slightly.
“If you will excuse me, I think I need to lie down somewhere.”

Offline X-Medoere & RCS/KE (Thorsten)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 22
« Reply #61 on: June 16, 2010, 05:22:26 PM »
----

The banner of Diemed flies proudly from the towers overlooking the conquered ward, as thousands of soldiers purposefully walk about the streets, and more join them all the time bunking down wherever they find space in the war-torn ward.

Houses have been appropriated to make room for the wounded and priests of the RCS find themselves working on overtime alongside a few OIT priests to tend to the wounded and still reach out to those faithful in Ilien that haven’t been able to congregate in months.

At noon the following day a small group of soldiers  ride towards the enemy held walls leading to the citadel. When within ear-range of the defenders they stop up. With his sword still in the scabbard, the front rider hefts his shield closer to his body as he looks to the towers, then he raises his voice to be heard:

”People of Ilien. The city will fall. It is inevitable now. But we do not wish to fight our kinsmen. We take no pleasure in watching Ilienese artillery or archers kill their countrymen at the orders of a desperate leader.  As such I have come on behalf of Lord Baron Kaven Enlien to bring you the offer of an honourable surrender. All you have to do, is agree to abide by the following terms:

Firstly, that you open the gates of Ilien and that each and every soldier march out without their arms and surrender themselves to the Diemean and Ghiestean forces.

Secondly, that every citizen and inhabitant of Ilien accept that they will be granted the right to leave the city unharmed and with whatever belongings they call their own, should they wish it, as long as they do not congregate in groups to plot against their rightful Lord, Archduke Carvaloen Diem. Any noble will, upon their oath not to abuse our trust, be treated according to their station, will be allowed to retain their arms, and will receive quarters, food and ministration according to their ranks as well.

Thirdly, that Geraldine el-Mesir and her advisors surrender themselves unconditionally to Archduke Carvaloen Diem or one of his commanders, or to Baron Kaven Enlien or one of his commanders who will vouch for their personal safety in his care until such a time as they can be put before a fair trial and the extent of their actions can be divulged.

This is the Lord Baron’s offer to the city of Ilien. You have twentyfour hours from now to consider this. If you do not open the gates by then, and refuse to surrender, no such promises will be given for the future. The offer will be considered null and void, and the blood, battles and hunger will continue."

With that, the group turns once more to leave the way they came.

Offline X-Ilien & PCE/GeM (Linde)

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Regency: 12
  • Countess Geraldine el-Mesir.
« Reply #62 on: June 16, 2010, 10:01:41 PM »
"They said what?" The displeasure in her voice quickly made the courtier look at the ground and with a feeble voice he replied: "That Baron Enlien wants us to surrender to him or Archduke Diem and stand trial for our actions."

Geraldine shook her head and sniggered: "Have Diem forgotten his betrayel of our city? Have we not learned that he had his guild undermined our rule of Ilien even as he acknowledged us as his vassal and were suposed to be our protector? Did he not betray a written treaty with us regarding the war against Boer?
Did he not promise to come and talk with us, only to cancel his visit. And his excuse?" Now her voice is clearly mocking" He was too busy with his allies to come and talk with his vassal. Not even an envoy did he send. Yet now he has the time to personally stand guard outside our walls for months without end?"

Geraldine paused and studied the courtier and with a softer voice she spoke: "Look at me my friend. Do you think that any justice will be delt by a man like Diem?
Surely it is not his intention to be lacking such in his way to rule. But his rule will be the downfall of any who follows him. Just look at Baron Enlien...
He promised that his temple would stay neutral in this conflict. But then, and I am sure he was pressured by Diem, he has his temple try to recruit a militia. And despite what lies might be told of the reason for that action, I know it was to use is against my rule.
So we have Diem, who breaks both his words, his treaties and ignores the sacred bonds of vasalage. And we have Enlien, treading down the same path breaking his word at the order of his corrupted liege."

She looked the courtier straight in his eyes: "Now, after they have proven themself willing to kill to protect their lie, do you think they will find justice for us, or kill us to protect thier lie further?"

She looked out the window at the dieman flag in the distance. "Leave me now. I will think of it and send our reply."
Her Excellency Geraldine el-Mesir,
Countess of the Free City of Illien
Guildmistress of Port of Call Exchange,
Mage of Ilien & Protector of her people.

Offline X-Ilien & PCE/GeM (Linde)

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Countess Geraldine el-Mesir.
« Reply #63 on: June 16, 2010, 10:42:08 PM »
The following day about an hour before noon a small band of soldiers and a nervous looking courtier walk into voice range of the dieman held ward. The courtier clears his voice and speaks:

"Diemans, Medorans, vassals and allies of Archduke Diem. A fair trial regarding the actions of Geraldine el-Mesir and Archduke Carvelon Diem has taken place, and Carvelon Diem was found guilty of neglegting his duties as liege of Ilien.
The evidence precented at that trial was so compelling that the Impregnable Heart of Haelyn immidiatly conducted a ceremony of divestiture to remove Archduke Diems claim of overlordship of Ilien.

The people and court of Ilien does not wish to surrender to Archduke Diem, his vassals or his allies.

If Archduke Diem wish to continue his unlawfull murder of the citizens and soldiers of Ilien he will be stopped and judgement for his continued crimes will be passed by the gods.

Thus said her Excellency, Geraldine el-Mesir, Countess of Ilien"

The small band turned around and walked back towards the citadel.
Her Excellency Geraldine el-Mesir,
Countess of the Free City of Illien
Guildmistress of Port of Call Exchange,
Mage of Ilien & Protector of her people.

Offline X-Ghieste & HOT/GH (Matt)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 38
  • Duke Ghorien Hiriele of Ghieste, Guilder of H/OT
« Reply #64 on: June 17, 2010, 02:39:40 AM »
The news of the refusal of terms is greeted with little surprise and some expectation. There is a hum of busy preperation once it has been relayed through all present, an acknowledgment of the task ahead and of the ridiculousness of the claims. A trial that IHH had denied happened? A breaking of the oath of fealty without a discussion with the Liege, without a raising of petition in his court? This is no way for a noble to continue, if she can claim to be a noble at all. Such are the whispers around the camps inside the Diemed held ward and the camps that surround the city.

Terms were offered and refused. Such are the rules of war. Terms must be offered once breach has been achieved, once a foothold has been gained. If they are refused, when the end is coming, then there is no restraint any more. There is no mercy. Outside of the ranks of Ilien there are some who look forward to it; there are always those warriors, those soldiers, who delight in the moment of the rage, of the letting of blood on a scale unseen outside of the greatest of battles, of the most terrible of sieges. There are others who dread it too, it is true, but it is too late now for any other path and even those who squeal and squeam at the excesses of war swallow their worries now, as the time comes. As sad as one may be about them choices have been made.

As promised, at noon, one hour after the reply was delivered, the barrage begins again, stones raining down on the next ward and the weakened areas of the defences of the city. Soldiers start to gather, to form up again. The siege continues.
His Grace Ghorien Hiriele,
Duke of Ghieste,
Grand-Maester of the Highland/Overland Traders,
Viscount of Whyrthe.
Down Right Evil Bastard!

Offline X-SASI/Orthien Tane (Rune)

• Former players
  • Scion
  • Maester Orthien Tane
« Reply #65 on: June 17, 2010, 07:17:29 PM »
It is just after sundown inside the Ward. Private Mogr is quietly thanking Haelyn for his assignment to guard duty; he's never been very fond of the army life, least of all when ordered on active duty. Guarding something just feels... safer. Even inside a beehive such as Ilien. He continues his patrol. It's been a quiet evening, all things considered. Quiet before the storm. As if waiting for such a thought, something large suddenly drops to the ground in front of him. A human body, lifeless and battered. Mogr mutters a startled curse and reaches for his blade as he hears the soft sound of someone moving behind him. "At ease, my friend", a coarse, evil voice whispers, just as a hand grasps his arm, preventing him from drawing his blade further; "I am not the enemy". Mogr can see him now, a hooded apparition towering above him. But Mogr was never a coward, and he yells out as he continues to try to wrestle his blade free. "ALARM!". His adversary sighs and Mogr feels the jolt of pain as a fist connects with his jawline. Then the world is blissfully dark...

Stepping over Mogr to pick up the other lifeless body, the figure seems not to be alarmed by the mass of soldiers suddenly surrounding him. "Friends, do not fear for your lives" he says, his coarse voice loud and dangerous. "I do not wish to harm you. I am Trader Maerel. If you would be so kind to help me carry my cargo, I request an audience with Baron Enlien and his associates."  When nobody moves, he sighs once again and lifts his cloak, showing two large gruesome daggers hanging from his belt. "See, gentlemen. I am nearly unarmed, and do not wish any more fighting today. The Baron is that way, I'll just get there myself if you don't mind. Keep me at a pikes lenght, if I seem like such a threat to you". He starts walking, clearly knowing the way. "Oh, and please do remember to pick up my cargo. He's a sympathizer of el-Mesir. I found him trying to pass on information to the enemy, I'm sure you can blame him for several of your buddies deaths". Angry mutters are heard, both directed at the cloaked figure and the lifeless body lying on the ground. "Not that it matters, one captured just means there are ten more sneaking around".

As Mogr comes to himself again, he hazily sees the towering figure walking down the street, several soldiers trailing him with spears out. The coarse voice can be heard, going softer as they move away. "Now remember to inform the Baron of my visit, I've heard he's not much for surprises these days".
Orthien Tane, Maester of Southern Anuire Shipping and Imports

Offline X-Diemed/Carvaloen Diem (Sheldon)

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Regency: 11
  • Carvaloen, Archduke Diemed
    • Urvaius: Chronicles of the Gold Knight
« Reply #66 on: June 17, 2010, 11:05:24 PM »
Diem sits, patiently waiting his surgeon to finish stitching the gash on the side of his head.  His chef enters with a dish but he waives it off.  "My appetite does not go with me today Fraedric, please, find a hungry Ilienese, resident of this ward, the dirtier, the poorer, the hungrier the better and give it to them."  Fraedric shrugs and leaves.  Carvaloen then speaks to Kaven, being careful not to move his head while the surgeon works.  "Baron Enlien, my memory is very foggy, I remember naught but being lifted from my feet.  can you fill in any gaps for me?"
--Archduke Diemed

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
  • Regency: 51
    • Twilightpeaks.net - Hone of Ruins of Empire
« Reply #67 on: June 18, 2010, 09:10:18 AM »
...an more importantly; will there be more assaults this turn???
DM Bjørn

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #68 on: June 18, 2010, 10:30:22 AM »
As saps and mines, and no doubt countermines, continue to be dug the pounding of heavy chisselled stone upon stone fortifications repeats and repeats, a constant series of dull thuds through day and night. Behind the lines of siege works and within the taken ward troops are assembled again, straps of the harness of war tightened, weapons checked for the ease of access and the fluidity of movement from sheaths and scabbards. Two strikes again, with the fresh troops who had stayed in the lines or the reserve before, or had just added to the momentum of the press for the last assault and had hardly seen any action - all know without the defenders lines that Ilien is sore pressed now and that starvation, attrition and morale must now be taking a heavy toll upon those within the supposed safety of those walls.

When all are ready, when the positions and plans are in place then one banner dips, almost a dive and a rise again. It does this strange movement three times and the other standards, held forth from their lines, do likewise in response. It is now that the horns and trumpets and drums sound, all clamour and rage and the feet start to move forwards. The assault, the unending assault, begins again.
Duke of Ghieste,
Viscount of Whyrthe.
Down Right Evil Bastard!

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #69 on: June 18, 2010, 10:54:36 AM »
The assault is repulsed, with heavy losses among the Dieman regular infantry that lead the assault. The reason for this setback: Large numbers of Ilienese militia has joined the defense of the walls. The militia seems to have very good morale.

If a final assault is to be made this season alternate arrangements must be found - Ghiestans, mercenaries, militia, Diem's vassals, dismounted cavalry etc.

WM 12 begins
DM Bjørn

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #70 on: June 18, 2010, 11:36:45 AM »
Following the bloodied repulse of the allied troops efforts then the camps settle into routine and process. The defences of the city continue to be battered while engineers progress their more subtle attacks and forms and the siege goes on.

Around the walls the lines of siege are hardened further, the ramparts built higher, fresh stakes added, gates and earthen banks reinforced, while the ward already taken is secured further. Troops are divided between camps and guard positions, rotated through rest and drill. Supplies are brought in for the Winter and a heavy picket placed on them to restrict looting or raiding. Layouts are also prepared for the arrival of new troops, some twenty or more regiments it seems.

It does not appear that the attackers expect to abandon their task.
Duke of Ghieste,
Viscount of Whyrthe.
Down Right Evil Bastard!

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #71 on: June 18, 2010, 11:50:21 AM »
Conditions in camp are horrendous. It's cold, its wet, its dirty. Food supplies are only barely adequate. Many men suffer from sickness. There are desertions.

Inside there walls they have their own issues.
DM Bjørn

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #72 on: June 18, 2010, 04:28:00 PM »
Turn ends
DM Bjørn

Offline X-ETN/Maire Cwyllmie (Libor)

• Former players
  • Noble
« Reply #73 on: June 18, 2010, 10:58:44 PM »
By the end of Autumn, ETN temple in Ilien looks more like hospital than proper temple. Wounded and sick are everywhere, caring priestesses with tired faces and local volunteers among them. Yet semblance of order and efficiency is maintained. Basic sanitation works, temple guards manage to keep arms and troublesome and useless people outside and everyone able to eat gets a fair share of food.

During the assault, some of the priestesess wanted to go and help just behind the places of fight, but High Priestess (incidentally present in Ilien in this time) exppressly forbade it. "You are more useful here. They could kill you there and what would be dead priestess good for? Just do your work where are you and have faith. I know it is hard for you." her face radiated comprehension and sympathy "Many of you have relatives and friends there in danger. But believe me, it si better this way."

Of course, many of those people inside are dying. Mundane medicine can do just so and magic is short supply. They are just too many. Sometimes more than even dedicated servant of Nesirie can bear. Breakdowns are not uncommon. How much can people endure? Winter will come and more assaults probably too. That little storage of food will eventually run out as well as storage of willpower and optimism and what then? Hopefully, Goddess will grant strength to her followers, but will it suffice? Hardly.