Poll

Which should Bjorn write more of?

Status Reports
4 (36.4%)
Provinces and Holdings sheets
1 (9.1%)
Horrifying hints that we're all going to be devoured by an ancient unstoppable evil.
6 (54.5%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Author Topic: OOC Mirror: Arrival  (Read 13556 times)

Offline X-Osoerde (Alan)

• The Dragon
  • Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Regency: 21
Re: OOC Mirror: Arrival
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2009, 04:00:50 PM »
Come now guys... why so serious?

If the walls where built in the age *against* the Anuirean Empire, then you know it's not our backyard. That I like.

But the training actions sounds a tad excessive, don't you think. What I really need is one of three things:

A) a rock with a permanent anti-magic field and a bunch of tougher than nails fighters, or

B) a group of Frenzied berserkers, each approaching from a different angle, or

C) Estevan Daulton

A) Maire tried antimagic field with the RW as I remember and it didn't work.  Additionally, his magic WORKS in antimagic fields.

B) Wouldn't there just be a few less berserkers in the world?

C)  We needs Estevan to finish off JR, I think.  I have a sinking suspicion that he may be the 'Cold Rider'.
Yes, wyrmling, the meat is made all the more tender by armor...

Offline X-Osoerde (Alan)

• The Dragon
  • Former players
  • Sovereign
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2009, 04:06:02 PM »
Im not overly concerned that we are going to be devoured by an ancient unstoppable evil. I can always switch sides. I think the event with undead in Thenial will do well in my CV for Red Wind  8)

As I recall, the Red Wind had the opportunity to assist the Eyeless One when he was captured in the scary transdimensional prison-sphere-thingy, but instead just laughed his arse of.
I think he's one of those guys who just doesn't share power...  ::)

My guess is the RW just hated the EO.  Most people did.  The guy had a talent for it, frankly. 

Man, he was a dick.

Conceptually, I think the EO and RW are fundementally different and largely in opposition to one another.  The EO was absolutely vile, evil incarnate or evil for the sake of being evil.  The RW is evil,  and surely Shadowspawn, but he is evil with certain purpose.  I have a feeling that he is LE and probably 'honorable' in his own way.

Nonetheless, he is still VERY evil and VERY dangerous.
Yes, wyrmling, the meat is made all the more tender by armor...

Offline X-Bellam & BC/TB (Bobby)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 33
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2009, 05:20:29 PM »
A) Maire tried antimagic field with the RW as I remember and it didn't work.  Additionally, his magic WORKS in antimagic fields.

Does it?  I thought I recalled him having to drop the field in order to turn into the Wind and do spells and such.  He kind of had a very flexible tactical situation.  He could zip around as the wind to get close to casters, then appear, activate his field, and beat the crap out of them with monk-ery, and when the casters had been hammered out, he could drop the field again and unleash magics on the fighters without opposition. 

Hells, yes.  I consider him MORE dangerous than the Eyeless One.  Let's think back - of the two of them, which one got an axe buried in his head and wound up trapped in an unbreakable godly prison, and which one beat the snot out of every regent that came up against him, completed his plans to perfection, and laughed himself sick at the other's predicament? 

The Eyeless One assumed his plans would work.  The Red Wind brought multiple redundant ritual aides/components and had detailed plans for how to deal with every setback we managed to deal him.  He's a powerful, intelligent, ancient villain who's read the Evil Overlord's Guide.  I FEAR people like that.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 05:25:41 PM by Bellam & BC/TB (Bobby) »

Offline X-DM Jon

• Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Slide
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2009, 05:42:22 PM »

Does it?  I thought I recalled him having to drop the field in order to turn into the Wind and do spells and such.  He kind of had a very flexible tactical situation.  He could zip around as the wind to get close to casters, then appear, activate his field, and beat the crap out of them with monk-ery, and when the casters had been hammered out, he could drop the field again and unleash magics on the fighters without opposition. 

Hells, yes.  I consider him MORE dangerous than the Eyeless One.  Let's think back - of the two of them, which one got an axe buried in his head and wound up trapped in an unbreakable godly prison, and which one beat the snot out of every regent that came up against him, completed his plans to perfection, and laughed himself sick at the other's predicament? 

The Eyeless One assumed his plans would work.  The Red Wind brought multiple redundant ritual aides/components and had detailed plans for how to deal with every setback we managed to deal him.  He's a powerful, intelligent, ancient villain who's read the Evil Overlord's Guide.  I FEAR people like that.

You're leaving out the fact in your equation that we had several more regents and major NPC's working against the EO than were fighting the Red Wind. And even if the RW managed to reach his goal, he was still as misguided in it as the EO, because both thought they were going to free their master. He lost an army of gnolls on that account and shot straight to the top of the most wanted list. So he had to turn his attention elsewhere, because Anuire had simply become too dangerous for him.
 Had we brought the same kind of power to bear against the RW as we did against the EO, my bet is he'd have lost as soundly as the EO.

Offline X-Mieres & SAS/AV (Mark)

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Regency: 15
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2009, 06:04:41 PM »
Once again people - NOBODY beats the Governor - I've got this all under control. 
Every man has a price he will willingly accept, even for what he hoped never to sell. 

Offline X-DM Jon

• Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Slide
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2009, 06:18:55 PM »
Once again people - NOBODY beats the Governor - I've got this all under control.

That's the spirit  ;D

Offline X-Ghieste & HOT/GH (Matt)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 38
  • Duke Ghorien Hiriele of Ghieste, Guilder of H/OT
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2009, 07:06:25 PM »

In my experience it is amazing how far a huge amount of bravado will get you!
His Grace Ghorien Hiriele,
Duke of Ghieste,
Grand-Maester of the Highland/Overland Traders,
Viscount of Whyrthe.
Down Right Evil Bastard!

• Former players
  • Noble
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2009, 07:43:36 PM »
Well there is always something to be said for doing something entirely unexpected  ::)
Every man has a price he will willingly accept, even for what he hoped never to sell. 

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2009, 07:56:57 PM »
There is. I have found, repeatedly, that smiling while being VERY honest and frank about the realities of the world can be frighteningly effective.
Duke of Ghieste,
Viscount of Whyrthe.
Down Right Evil Bastard!

Offline X-Bellam & BC/TB (Bobby)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 33
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2009, 08:17:20 PM »
There is. I have found, repeatedly, that smiling while being VERY honest and frank about the realities of the world can be frighteningly effective.

Or just frightening.   ;)

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2009, 08:20:30 PM »

Or just frightening.   ;)

You have no idea how much. Yet  ;D
Duke of Ghieste,
Viscount of Whyrthe.
Down Right Evil Bastard!

Offline X-Haelyn's Aegis/RK (Andy)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 42
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2009, 10:15:22 PM »
Im not overly concerned that we are going to be devoured by an ancient unstoppable evil. I can always switch sides. I think the event with undead in Thenial will do well in my CV for Red Wind  8)

Probably won't go down to well with most other people when the dead start raiding the coast and you 'fess up but you never know, RW might thank you for the new aquatic troops..

Personally I'm assuming that Euston is in Aduria, although its where the main UK tax office is in real-life so you never know, I'll have a look for scions of evil next time I'm round there...

I've never been much of a believer in unstoppable enemies, they generally ruin games. Basically if the RW could walk in to Anuire and slaughter everyone on a whim he'd already be in charge, point of gameworld fact, he isn't - there must be a reason for that (possibly el-stony only just having gone quiet but a handful of years are an eye-blink to an immortal like RW so unlikely to be high on the agenda).

So I'm working on the basis that smart sensible players who undertake well thought out co-operative strategies can defeat him, admittedly that means that we're all doomed but ce la vie, it will be our own fault.
Robhan Khaiarén
High Marshal of Haelyn's Aegis
Work hard, walk with honour, be justly rewarded

• Former players
  • Noble
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2009, 10:22:49 PM »
See I've always liked the poorly thought out and totally erratic plan - since there is no way to counter it and it is what the enemy least suspects causing him to fall easily - unless of course he has Gelatinous Cubes... if he has Gelatinous Cubes we are all going to die  :'(

Offline X-DM Jon

• Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Slide
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2009, 10:31:53 PM »

Probably won't go down to well with most other people when the dead start raiding the coast and you 'fess up but you never know, RW might thank you for the new aquatic troops..

Personally I'm assuming that Euston is in Aduria, although its where the main UK tax office is in real-life so you never know, I'll have a look for scions of evil next time I'm round there...

I've never been much of a believer in unstoppable enemies, they generally ruin games. Basically if the RW could walk in to Anuire and slaughter everyone on a whim he'd already be in charge, point of gameworld fact, he isn't - there must be a reason for that (possibly el-stony only just having gone quiet but a handful of years are an eye-blink to an immortal like RW so unlikely to be high on the agenda).

So I'm working on the basis that smart sensible players who undertake well thought out co-operative strategies can defeat him, admittedly that means that we're all doomed but ce la vie, it will be our own fault.

My money is definitely on Britain!

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
  • Regency: 51
    • Twilightpeaks.net - Hone of Ruins of Empire
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2009, 10:43:14 PM »
Eustan is in Aduria; far to the south, along the eastern coast.
DM Bjørn