Author Topic: Turn #69 - Tribunal in Ilien  (Read 42978 times)

Offline X-Diemed/Carvaloen Diem (Sheldon)

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Regency: 11
  • Carvaloen, Archduke Diemed
    • Urvaius: Chronicles of the Gold Knight
Re: Turn #69 - Tribunal in Ilien
« Reply #105 on: January 11, 2011, 06:32:51 PM »
As the templars pour into the room, Diem scoots his seat back and smirks stoically, left hand on the arm-wrest of his chair, right on his belt.  as the prisoner is brought forth he now leans forward, brow furrowed with one raised.  looking intently at this scene in front of him.  who is this man?  has he crossed his path before?  What do his eyes say about his character?  Why is the Pontiff being so dramatic?  Why did the Pontiff need the presence of the Diem brothers before this prisoner could be paraded around the courtroom...  And why does this have to be happening here and now when there are perfectly better suited venues...

as the thing held by the templars burst into gangrenous flame, Diem's warrior visage remained calm... He thought only of the blasphemous monstrosity which confronted him, of the most detestably sticky noise as of some fiendish and unclean species of suction as the object burned...The monstrous constellation of unnatural light, like a glutted swarm of corpse-fed fireflies dancing hellish sarabands over an accursed marsh.... and it was still alive after a fashion, but the death had been at it... Diem looked horrifiedly into the distorted parody that had been a face... Wondering do his eyes deceive him.
--Archduke Diemed

Offline X-Avanil/Aubrae Avan (Thorsten)

• Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Regency: 35
  • Princess Aubrae Avan
« Reply #106 on: January 11, 2011, 06:46:11 PM »
Sir Ryence stares with disbelief at the scenario taking place before him, his nose wrinkling in disgust as the stench of burning flesh fills the room. As the man that is Father Oeren yet isn't Father Oeren sags between the guards holding him, and small whisps of smoke rise up from his charred and smoldering form, the Avanese knight produces a scented handkerchief and presses it to his face in an effort to spare his delicate senses from the offending smell.

Looking at the debacle as it continues, his brows furrow behind the improvised mask, and he leans down once more to whisper into the Archprelate's ear.
Aubrae Avan,
Princess of Avanil, Duchess of Taeghas

Diplomacy is the art of letting someone else have your way.

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
  • Regency: 51
    • Twilightpeaks.net - Hone of Ruins of Empire
« Reply #107 on: January 11, 2011, 07:14:18 PM »
Wallac: "A fair question - how can we tell? It is not easy, but it can be done. A good friend helped devise a method...a method later perfected Lannelah (the Pontiff's pet elf) here. And how did we first find these devils? We found them as we sought to find out the truth behind the death of Pontiff Royce! Indeed, these things were able to affect the murder of the finest among us, and almost brought the IHH and Osoerde to blows. For that is their purpose, to hide among us, and so sow their lies and cause discord.

Which brings me to the next point on the agenda; Lannelah will examine each and every one of your here present. I already know there is one of them among this crowd you insited on bringing along, but there may be more. And you will submit to the examination, willingly or otherwise."
DM Bjørn

Offline X-Mieres & SAS/AV (Mark)

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Regency: 15
« Reply #108 on: January 11, 2011, 07:16:19 PM »
The Governor raises an eyebrow, looking to the Pontiff and the others, "I believe I have already passed your test, have I not?"
Every man has a price he will willingly accept, even for what he hoped never to sell. 

Offline X-CJS/Ruormad Coumain (Tristan)

• Former players
  • Scion
  • Regency: 10
« Reply #109 on: January 11, 2011, 07:43:39 PM »
Cardinal Delvine speaks, the first time she has since entering the council chamber. Her voice ringing clearly in the quiet after the Pontiff's pronouncements.

"Perhaps your Holiness it may be best to first have those who are most faithful amongst us shown fully the method by which these devils may be found, then as a sign of good faith you yourself would submit to the examination? For if these creatures have struck at one Pontiff it brings great concern that they may have done it for reasons to affect his successor.

Your willingness to be examined first would also I suspect put to rest any potential complaints that this is some sort of labyrinthine political stunt of the Impregnable Heart."
Most Sacred Broker Ruormad Coumain, Patriach of the Celestial Jewel of Sarimie.
The wise man invests in times of plenty to ensure plenty in times of hardship.

Offline X-Diemed/Carvaloen Diem (Sheldon)

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Regency: 11
  • Carvaloen, Archduke Diemed
    • Urvaius: Chronicles of the Gold Knight
« Reply #110 on: January 11, 2011, 08:25:47 PM »
"Yes speak now for I am unsure what my eyes see before me and furthermore This path you are leading us down seems eerily familiar to the Orthodox Inquisition's early suppositions of centuries past that All Azrai spawn and only Azrai spawn float in water."  That a priest of any means can set only whom he chooses in a room ablaze is a capability I do not hesitate to consider... please dispel our skepticism." 
--Archduke Diemed

Offline X-Ilien & PCE/GeM (Linde)

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Regency: 12
  • Countess Geraldine el-Mesir.
« Reply #111 on: January 11, 2011, 08:56:56 PM »
"I for one have faith in Your Holiness methods. And since I have nothing to fear I will submit to your examination. But I implore you, allow something to be done about that dreadfull stench."
Her Excellency Geraldine el-Mesir,
Countess of the Free City of Illien
Guildmistress of Port of Call Exchange,
Mage of Ilien & Protector of her people.

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #112 on: January 11, 2011, 09:13:26 PM »
Wallac: "Cardinal Delvine, how good of you to volunteer to go first." Two IHH templars make it very clear that either she step forward, or they drag her out. In the event she walks, a bit weak in the knees perhaps. "The original technique for spotting them required quite some insight, quite some insight indeed. But yes, you may all appoint members of your clergy to learn it as best they can. The genial part, however, is that, like so many things of the Shadow, they cannot stand the righteous power of the gods. Channel onto then the divine power, to drive them out, like you would a demon or the unliving. Unfortunately they are hardened against it to a certain degree - you will find that only the strongest and purest of priests can reveal their true nature and burn them. Yet it is enough - you will spot them and you will confirm their nature."

Delvine turns out to be normal enough.

"Just be careful when you are about it. They are much stronger and more dangerous then they appear."

"Next!"
DM Bjørn

• Former players
  • Noble
« Reply #113 on: January 11, 2011, 09:20:34 PM »
Geraldine stands from her chair and indicates that she is ready to be examined at the Pontiffs leasure. But she doesn't move closer before called.

Offline X-WIT/Toreas Kharnmoin (Rune)

• the Nerdrager
  • Former players
  • Noble
  • Regency: 24
  • Archprelate Toreas Kharnmoin
« Reply #114 on: January 11, 2011, 09:37:36 PM »
Ignoring the movement of the accused, the Archprelate steps forward.

"Very well Wallac, I will let you have your fun. I expect you to teach me this technique of yours afterwards, we will have plenty of time while we discuss some....other issues. Now get this over with so we can continue with what we came here for".

Toreas Kharnmoin
Pontiff of All Anuire
Archprelate of the Western Imperial Temple of Haelyn

Offline X-Mieres & SAS/AV (Mark)

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Regency: 15
« Reply #115 on: January 11, 2011, 09:52:08 PM »
The Governor has ceased to watch the spectacle and instead scans the crowd and the expressions of those in it as the testing continues.
Every man has a price he will willingly accept, even for what he hoped never to sell. 

Offline X-Sea Witch/Aneira (John)

• Former players
  • Hero
  • Regency: 3
« Reply #116 on: January 11, 2011, 11:08:37 PM »
Aneira covers her mouth and nose with her sleeve as the figure burns, her eyes wide as she takes in what is happening.

Rising a little unsteadily to her feet, she moves a short distance away from those attending in case the Pontiff is right and another of the creatures is present in the chamber.  Scanning those present she notices the Governor doing the same and readies herself in case her skill in the Art might be needed.
Aneira Taren, Sea Witch of the South Coast.

Offline X-ETN/Maire Cwyllmie (Libor)

• Former players
  • Noble
« Reply #117 on: January 12, 2011, 11:20:15 AM »
Maire, her face pale and moves tense, parts from her retinue and quietly places herself into the queue just behind archprelate Kharnmoin. Then after some hesitation she speaks: "Maybe it is a good idea to test the priests here first, so that they can help with further testing then to get the thing done faster."

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #118 on: January 12, 2011, 12:11:40 PM »
As the Pontiff has already described - spotting them requires special skills. Which can't be taught on the spot, regardless of how many of those assembled that wish for it to be possible. So it is a rather lengthy process, where the elf inspects each and every person (there are quite a few). After a while people become a bit restless, for surely, were there any more of the creatures, would they not have tried to flee or something? But as the turn comes for Patriarch Narvelon's entourage, one of his sworn guards make a sudden move, trying, not to get away, but to plunge a hidden dagger into the back of his master!
DM Bjørn

• Former players
  • Noble
« Reply #119 on: January 12, 2011, 12:53:05 PM »
Geraldine is too far away to see what the commotion is about. She keep clear and try to assess the situation.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 12:58:28 PM by Ilien & PCE/GeM (Linde) »