Author Topic: Adventure 67: The Bonds Would Break...  (Read 31812 times)

Offline X-Elinie/RiD (Niels)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 19
  • Formerly Star of the East
Re: Adventure 67: The Bonds Would Break...
« Reply #90 on: June 08, 2010, 06:28:35 PM »
"Don't touch the water!" Rashid calls out. The order is carried to the others down the line.

He then address the command group. And tell them of the stream's properties.

"The veil must be weak here. What says the text the Pontiff received from the halfling Shadow expert?"

"I need to collect my thoughts."
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 07:42:12 PM by Elinie/RiD (Niels) »
Formerly: His Grace, Patriarch Rashid ibn Daouta, Last Imperial Duke of the Eastern Marches, Duke of Elinie, Master of Sutren Hills, Holy Paladin of Avanalae, Light of Reason.

Offline X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper)

• Sovereign
  • Regency: 18
  • Pontiff Wallac Isilviere, High Prefect of the IHH
« Reply #91 on: June 08, 2010, 06:41:39 PM »
"Hmm let me see. Silversleeps compilation. Yes here we have it. Let me see.."
His Holiness Wallac Isilviere, Pontiff of All Anuire, High Prefect of the Impregnable Heart of Haelyn

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
  • Regency: 51
    • Twilightpeaks.net - Hone of Ruins of Empire
« Reply #92 on: June 08, 2010, 07:18:29 PM »
You suddenly realize the compilation is worthless - it deals with generalizations, not specifics.
DM Bjørn

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #93 on: June 08, 2010, 07:26:21 PM »
The Patriarch advise that the group make camp, secure their surroundings and wait for dawn before moving further.

He then tries, un-successfully to isolate himself. (Edited)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 07:49:08 PM by Elinie/RiD (Niels) »
Formerly: His Grace, Patriarch Rashid ibn Daouta, Last Imperial Duke of the Eastern Marches, Duke of Elinie, Master of Sutren Hills, Holy Paladin of Avanalae, Light of Reason.

• Sovereign
« Reply #94 on: June 08, 2010, 07:37:30 PM »
Your Grace said "cold and strong enough to carry a man to the other side.." that mean to the other side of the veil yes? So we need to find a mean to travel the river without getting immensed in it or we will loose or memories. Strangely this is nothing like the other times I crossed over.. Baron Bellamie you remember in Ilien? We could even manipulate the Shadow World on the other side. But crossing how to do it? Any ideas?"
His Holiness Wallac Isilviere, Pontiff of All Anuire, High Prefect of the Impregnable Heart of Haelyn

Offline X-LPA/Gaerred Khaiarén (Gray)

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Regency: 10
  • High Hierophant Gaerred Khaiarén
« Reply #95 on: June 08, 2010, 07:47:34 PM »
"Perhaps,"  Gaerred speaks softly with Kalieman.

"In theory, I believe, through the divine blessing of the Great Mother, of whom Avanlae is both friend and confidant, to lower the waters of this river - at least for a time," he says.

"If this is done, is the way into the Shadow World still preserved?"

Offline X-Bellam & BC/TB (Bobby)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 33
« Reply #96 on: June 08, 2010, 08:08:16 PM »
"Many," replies Baron Bellamie.  He has trailed behind the rest of the regents, sniffing at the wind and gazing around them quietly.  He stands now watching the stream flow past, rubbing the fingers of his right hand together.  "But few of them palatable.  Unfortunately, most of those who have sought to open ways to the Shadow World in the past have been those with dark intentions and few moral restrictions.  The necessary means and rituals devised for it have, as such, been of a similarly dark nature."  His face twists as if to spit.  "The Ruornites did their work well in painting it as a place only those of evil would even study, and as their god gives them passage when needed, they have created no rites of use to us either.  And thus we find ourselves sharply limited when we must reach the other side.  Would they had foreseen such a consequence in their infinite wisdom!"

He sighs, stepping to the river's side and looking down into it for a long moment before continuing.  "Blood," he says shortly.  "When blood is spilled, even without killing, it carries with it a part of a man's life and strength.  That force passes through the Shadow World to whatever lies beyond it, weakening the Veil in its wake.  Thus it is that the undead find the Shadow World such a natural home, for it stands between our world and that which comes after - a halfway sort of place, for the halfway fallen.  If the Veil is weak enough here, a spilling of blood could tear it open... but I hate to inflict such on this place." 

He gazes around himself.  "It is not an evil place, whatever the Ruornites might judge from the thinness of its Veil... only a quiet one.  One that remembers death, that stands close to that silent peace.  A place of repose and stillness.  Hence the nature of the stream, carrying away your memories of the living world and all that passed within it, that you might rest undisturbed by its needs and call.  To spill blood here could taint it, could turn a place of peaceful waiting into one of murder and painful endings - and hunger for more spilled strength.  I cannot suggest that."

"There are other alternatives, though still dangerous ones.  If Master Kaleiman has no arts to allow us passage, he or our priests must still have those that would call up the creatures of the Shadow World here - spells of illusion, of summoning, of calling on the deceased.  Their passage to join us would, in a place of sufficient weakness, create places of entry that would linger before closing, allowing us to use them as well.  And I have read of some few rites that might grant passage safely... my concern for them is that I have only read of them, never been properly taught or practiced them."  He grimaces.  "What they might do if misperformed, I can only imagine.  And dread."

Edit: Clarifying that he's talking about the place we're in in the third paragraph, not the Shadow World.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 08:32:50 PM by Bellam & BC/TB (Bobby) »

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #97 on: June 08, 2010, 08:39:39 PM »
"If this place is not already tainted, then I will not allow it to become so."

"Not as long as there remain other options. Tomorrow we will explore the valley. Manethander must have a way to move back and forth, one that does not entail dipping his entire entourage in a mind-numbing river each time."

• Sovereign
« Reply #98 on: June 08, 2010, 08:40:53 PM »
"Patriarch when you lost part of your memory was it erased in any particular order like the newest memories to go first? We could write a message to ourself to read on the other side"

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #99 on: June 08, 2010, 08:47:08 PM »
"Yes. I have considered that idea too."

"However, the stream erased all memory of when and why I was here. At least these memories are hidden from me now."

"If we go through the stream, unprotected, then our men will surely loose much of who they are. Even if we blooded are relatively untouched."

"A note will hardly be enough... And more, if our enemy know we are here, which we must assume he does, then he may be prepared for our crossing."

"I would prefer to explore the area more, and maybe even learn something during the night, than to gamble all, just yet."

• Sovereign
« Reply #100 on: June 08, 2010, 08:57:42 PM »
"I concur we should explore more but I will write down how we found our way here in case we ever need to find it again and I suggest you do so too while your memory is fresh"

Offline X-Points East

• Grand-Maester of the P&H
  • Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 15
« Reply #101 on: June 08, 2010, 09:06:49 PM »

IC:

"Rashid", says Elamien, who has quietly accompanied the group to the base of the valley, "I have just overheard some thing, from the lips of Gaerred Khaiarén, about altering the flow of the river around the point of crossing.  If the water should be the source of danger, then might there not be reason in such a strategy? . . . Well, at the very least, I believe that it ought to be attempted, before the night,—or some thing worse,—falls upon us, in this mysterious vale.  And I am willing to lead the way."

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #102 on: June 08, 2010, 09:20:41 PM »
"If you by, 'lead the way' mean exposing yourself to risk, simply to test a theory, then I forbid it."

"The theory should be tested, but we have many men here, whom are bound by honor to put their life at risk before our own. Indeed, our strengths will be needed in due time, when we must do our duty to them and face that which they cannot and we alone can."

"High Hierophant, Maester Kaleiman, do you have a plan to diverge the waters, one that can be exacted now, before dark?"

Offline X-Points East

• Grand-Maester of the P&H
  • Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 15
« Reply #103 on: June 08, 2010, 09:33:54 PM »

IC:

After Rashid states, "then I forbid it", Elamien bows her head, in a deferential manner.

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
  • Regency: 51
    • Twilightpeaks.net - Hone of Ruins of Empire
« Reply #104 on: June 08, 2010, 10:45:18 PM »
Kaleiman: "I could halt the flow of the river for a time. Or freeze it. Or some other thing. But I am not sure it would do us any good. If the Patriarch remembers immersing himself in the river, then that is what we must to to pass across to the other side. Movement and symbolism both. Yes, it should be sufficient, for I think this way has been used many times before. If not, then we shall be forced to employ rites such as those described by Baron Tristan...

Moreover I think I could ward a few men against a loss of memory...but not an entire army."
DM Bjørn