Author Topic: Adventure #67 - To reach the other side (the Bonds...continuation)  (Read 43123 times)

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
  • Regency: 51
    • Twilightpeaks.net - Hone of Ruins of Empire
Re: Adventure #67 - To reach the other side (the Bonds...continuation)
« Reply #90 on: June 11, 2010, 10:32:49 PM »
"You are not. Though you carry a divine spark you are not immortal. You may not pass."
DM Bjørn

Offline X-Elinie/RiD (Niels)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 19
  • Formerly Star of the East
« Reply #91 on: June 11, 2010, 10:39:20 PM »
"Guardian, why does it cost a life to pass?"

"And when you say we may not pass, do you refer to not passing You, or not passing the Portal?"
Formerly: His Grace, Patriarch Rashid ibn Daouta, Last Imperial Duke of the Eastern Marches, Duke of Elinie, Master of Sutren Hills, Holy Paladin of Avanalae, Light of Reason.

Offline X-Points East

• Grand-Maester of the P&H
  • Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 15
« Reply #92 on: June 11, 2010, 11:08:38 PM »

IC:

"Rashid, I believe that the portal is an illusion . . . unlike this guardian", says Elamien.  "In the banquet hall, too, there was mostly illusion, with the exception of the steward."

She pauses; then adds, looking deeply into his eyes, as her hand tightens upon the hilt of her sword, "Do you see what our course must be?"

[[[OoC:  Subsequent Edit:  Spelling of "banquet" corrected, in the above IC content.]]]

« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 11:15:24 PM by Points East/EL (Brandon) »

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #93 on: June 11, 2010, 11:33:52 PM »
"I do not."

In frustration Rashid decides to try something. Its a well tested and tried method, honored by adventurers throughout the ages. One thing is certain, the result is either very predictable or very dangerous:

Rashid picks a fat silver coin out of his pocket and toss it at the bronze door.
Formerly: His Grace, Patriarch Rashid ibn Daouta, Last Imperial Duke of the Eastern Marches, Duke of Elinie, Master of Sutren Hills, Holy Paladin of Avanalae, Light of Reason.

Offline X-Points East

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #94 on: June 11, 2010, 11:47:04 PM »

IC:

As the coin leaves the hand of her husband, Elamien closes her eyes for a moment; whispers, "Not a golem", almost as if attempting to convince herself of this statement; then, opening her lids, spins toward the gigantic figure, striking swiftly and fiercely with her rapier.

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #95 on: June 12, 2010, 12:06:48 AM »
The coin goes straight through - maybe it's immortal...

The golem doesn't seem to appreciate the attack - the thunders "None shall pass" again and swings at Elamien, who dodges the blow, but does not pursue her. 
DM Bjørn

Offline X-LPA/Gaerred Khaiarén (Gray)

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Regency: 10
  • High Hierophant Gaerred Khaiarén
« Reply #96 on: June 12, 2010, 12:25:23 AM »
Gaerred intones quietly while holding his holy symbol.

A small pin prick light slowly pulses with his rhythmic intonation and as he finishes it flashes and he says,

"O Lady, let thy light reveal!"

The flash of light races away from Gaerred to dispel illusions.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 12:45:24 AM by LPA/Gaerred Khaiarén (Gray) »

Offline X-Bellam & BC/TB (Bobby)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 33
« Reply #97 on: June 12, 2010, 12:45:09 AM »
As Elamien dodges the golem's blow, Tristan steps forward and abruptly seizes her arm, pitching her unceremoniously away from the guardian.  Stepping back, he regards it warily, but it merely returns to its own position and stance.  He looks back at Elamien, already back on her feet.  "My apologies, Guildmistress, but I'd not see the Patriarch suffer your loss.  This defender is too quick, too strong for us, and well-warded against magic and the Seeming's variances."  He looks now to Rashid, in turn.  "Our options narrow, Patriarch.  If we cannot find another path, we may be forced to submit to its demands.  Its Creator was your ancestor, presumably, whom you know better than we.  Was he truly the kind of man who would impose such a test upon those who would pass?"

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #98 on: June 12, 2010, 12:52:55 AM »
"No. He was not."

"He believed in the rule of Law, and in reasoning. He was a warrior and a magic user."

"Having to offer a life here, to cross, would be wasteful if it was given freely, and if taken against someone's will it would be unlawful if the victim was innocent, and if not innocent, this death would be cruel."

"I do not believe my forefather to have been cruel. He served the people of this land, for many years before he was recognized by the Emperor and granted the Duchy. This golem was created early, when he defeated Manethander."

"Do you hear me golem? - I will not pay a life to pass this gate!"

"My life is paid already, to the service of Avanalae and the people of Elinie. They own me."

Offline X-Points East

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #99 on: June 12, 2010, 05:32:06 AM »

IC:

Elamien speaks:  "The price is not a cruel one, Rashid.  It is a safeguard . . . against casual attempts to reach the other side.  For only in the presence of a Daouta might the sacrifice even be made; and only a righteous man would consent to make it.

"I am not that righteous man; and I wager that one rogue is as unrighteous as the next", she adds, glancing briefly at the man, who recently threw her to the floor.  "But perhaps—"

She does not finish that statement but adds, after a pause, in a tone of voice, which sounds almost weary, "But how long shall we wait for the sidhe to return?"

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #100 on: June 12, 2010, 08:53:00 AM »
Gaerred intones quietly while holding his holy symbol.

A small pin prick light slowly pulses with his rhythmic intonation and as he finishes it flashes and he says,

"O Lady, let thy light reveal!"

The flash of light races away from Gaerred to dispel illusions.

Before the light of Avani all falsehood must flee; there is no bronze portal before you. The golem is real enough, but not the disk. As if on cue the golem raises its spear and returns to its initial position. Booming voice: "You may pass, sons and daughters of light, into the tomb of Manethander."

It would appear they you have passed its test...and you can be sure that if blood had been sacrificed, that would not have helped you.
DM Bjørn

Offline X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper)

• Sovereign
  • Regency: 18
  • Pontiff Wallac Isilviere, High Prefect of the IHH
« Reply #101 on: June 12, 2010, 10:22:17 AM »
Lachlan having scouted just a little ahead returns as the heroes enters the tomb

"I see you found out the disk was but an illusion. Steady your mind because it would seem there are more of those to contest up ahead. Look at how the ceiling meets the walls where the frescos style changes into something resembling early imperial"

The pontiff on an inner journey keeps searching. He attempt to let his soul resonance with the Book of Law repeating the mantra in his attempt to penetrate the shadows.

"I am Wallac Isilviere, High Prefect for the Impregnable Heart of Haelyn, Pontiff for the Conclave of Temples but before anything else I am the servant of Haelyn and I can feel the presence of the All father within the essence of my soul. His book has been lost and must be found again. The Book of Law, most blessed relic of my Lord, and I must find it, for here is not its place to rest.”
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 10:23:49 AM by IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper) »
His Holiness Wallac Isilviere, Pontiff of All Anuire, High Prefect of the Impregnable Heart of Haelyn

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #102 on: June 12, 2010, 11:08:06 AM »
The Patriarch gives Elamien a relieved smile "Be not so quick to comply with unreasonable requests."

As the party proceeds, Rashid lets his mouth continue running.

"If there was truly a closed gate here, then how would the minions gain access to the cursed blood?"

"I had hoped to find some kind of verbal or emotional trigger, but it seems the use of brute magic was the fastest solution." He indicates Gaerred. " - That can also explain how our enemies are able to penetrate here, the guardian is easily satisfied once you know the correct trick."

"If Maester Kaleiman is correct, that magical things come in threes, then I expect there will be one more challenge before the tomb." Rashid seems to consider something, then adds. "Of course, Manethander himself might have added additional safeguards or guards too."

Offline X-Haelyn's Aegis/RK (Andy)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 42
« Reply #103 on: June 12, 2010, 12:47:41 PM »
"Brute magic, or perhaps proof of our abhorrence of human sacrifice" says Edwin pondering, "I had wondered if perhaps proof of willingness to sacrifice would prove worthiness but could not fit such a fell test with my understand of Avani's creed."

"We are past two of our foes defences now, with luck our enemies reliance on the guards of others, and deception will prove he lacks the force of body and soul necessary to stop us."

"Let us proceed, 'ere the foes without follow us within - or our enemy have more time to respond to our entrance."

"And let us not fall into dissent again - anger, pride, suspicion - such feelings can only be turned against our cause, all here have proved themselves, all here are share the same cause, we can discuss matters of pride and precedence latter should such truly be required."

With that he lapses into prayer and contemplation as he walks forward.  If there is deception before them the light of faith will dispel it; if there is fear, love of ones god will overcome it; if there is fury, skill and strength will strike it down - and the heroes bear all qualities in abundance.
Robhan Khaiarén
High Marshal of Haelyn's Aegis
Work hard, walk with honour, be justly rewarded

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #104 on: June 12, 2010, 01:05:51 PM »
Kaleiman: "The Marshal is right. We must stand fast and we must stand together - so far we have been our own worst enemies...had not the steward come there would have been blows...but tell me, who or what killed that vampire, and to what end? I cannot believe that that it was done simply to make a point...so what did happen? Anyone?"

But there is no answer, for you all had your backs turned - oh what a sight it must have been, to see you turn your back to the real vampire to gawk at the illusion of Manethander and a hundred more!

Lannelah: "I think we are now truly within the crypt...or the prison if you will. The halls and corridors we have seen thus far...I think they may have been some sort of guard post, long abandoned. Tell me Rashid, did the blood of ibn Daouta keep vigil here after the tomb was built?"

The bronze disk is now at your back - or it should have been, but it is not. Only empty air behind you. Peculiar.

You are standing within a dome with an arched roof some 100 feet across. Columns line the walls, creating a colonnade the runs along the perimeter of the room. To each column has been fixed a spear that is tipped with a shining spearpoint that creates light without fire. The light cast by these spears are reflected by numerous polished mosaics and countless strands of silver and crystal that hangs from the roof like chandeliers. The colonnade is broken in eight places, each to allow a great arched doorway to lead out from the chamber. To Gaerred, who has just returned from the East it feels like he has been transported to an ancient temple of Avani, such is the architecture and ornamentation. It is very majestic. And it feels quite real.

In the center of the great room is a great stone sarcophagus. It is completely without ornamentation, in star contrast with everything else.
DM Bjørn