Author Topic: Boer vs. Avan #63  (Read 38613 times)

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
  • Regency: 51
    • Twilightpeaks.net - Hone of Ruins of Empire
Re: Boer vs. Avan #63
« Reply #105 on: June 04, 2009, 11:49:16 AM »
Stripping the Lancers off from the infantry Maelcom lets the Pikes and Halberd go into the flank of the Westerners under the command of their Baron while the cavalry he takes behind the battle, along the lines, striving to hit the enemy where it will hurt the most and stab those giant figures from tearing the army to pieces. Hard to the neck of his steed he drives his men forwards hoping that they will get there in time.

The pikes and halberds of Carrida march steadily towards the Westerner's right flank, causing them to fall back a bit to better close their lines. Ser Hadriens pikes follow up and the battle i rejoined, with the westerners content to hold their ground.

Meanwhile Maelcom leads baron Carr and his lances behind the lines, hoping their speed will allow then to arrive in time to save the right...
DM Bjørn

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #106 on: June 04, 2009, 11:53:04 AM »
"Mylady, look out!" Kaven shouts, grabbing Aubrae by her shoulders. With a grunt of exertion her throws her to his right, as he himself rolls left, attempting to dodge the impact from the massive weapon and it's wielder.

A few arrows fly towards the creature from the archers somewhat behind him, as Kaven regains his barings, his shield lost in the roll.

"Protect the Duchess!" He bawls, as he charges headlong towards the creature, eying the giant flail, ready to duck or roll again. Several knights and soldiers begins to gain momentum by his side, also intent on stopping the beast, or rescuing the damsel in distress.

Aubrae is snapped out of her trance, her third realm spell for the day disrupted and gone. But who cares, a giant's flail would have made it her last realm spell ever...

Kaven manages to form some sort of makeshift defense, but it seems improbable that the giant can be stopped. It just keep smashing the life out of man after man, and weapons keep bouncing of its heavy mail and shield. But then, just as it is to break through, it seems to loose substance - Aubrae is chanting something - and then the wind takes hold of it and it is gone.

The remaining eight giants are ripping the right to shreds however, and soon they will be upon you. Bitter though it might be - the right is lost. You must flee!
DM Bjørn

Offline X-Medoere & RCS/KE (Thorsten)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 22
« Reply #107 on: June 04, 2009, 12:07:25 PM »
As soon as Aubrae seems safe, Kaven orders a withdrawal in the face of the onslaught. He seems torn between fighting alongside those who knowingly sacrifice themselves to let the rest escape, and his oath to protect the Duchess. The later wins though and he hurries the remainder of his guard to form a perimeter around her, as the make their way backwards.

"A horse!" he shouts to noone in particular. "Her Grace needs a horse!"

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #108 on: June 04, 2009, 12:17:12 PM »
Aubrae is brought to safety. Meanwhile the lancers arrive, but find charging the giants difficult, for they are so obscured by clouds and mist as to make any rapid movement a hazard in itself...and though fresh, the newcomers do not seem particularly interested in getting into melee with the giants.

The only saving grace is that the arrival of the lancers seems to have convinces the Westerners to halt their advance. Now they are backing up a little, shortening their lines and preparing once more for defense. Only the giants continue their mad mauling of the remnants of the right.

Overhead more clouds are gathering and the wind is picking up.
DM Bjørn

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #109 on: June 04, 2009, 12:18:40 PM »
Aubrae mumbles something to Kaven:

"Innis, Arlen Innis is here. They brought their Stromwarden here to kill me..."
DM Bjørn

Offline X-Ghieste & HOT/GH (Matt)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 38
  • Duke Ghorien Hiriele of Ghieste, Guilder of H/OT
« Reply #110 on: June 04, 2009, 12:22:43 PM »
Maelcom attempts to steer the lancers to rejoin with Kaven and receive further orders.
His Grace Ghorien Hiriele,
Duke of Ghieste,
Grand-Maester of the Highland/Overland Traders,
Viscount of Whyrthe.
Down Right Evil Bastard!

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #111 on: June 04, 2009, 12:27:18 PM »
Aubrae mumbles something to Kaven:

"Innis, Arlen Innis is here. They brought their Stromwarden here to kill me..."

...that is why their archers were so deadly...I should have known...the lighting, the giants...what is next? Surely his resources must soon be spent?
DM Bjørn

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #112 on: June 04, 2009, 01:11:05 PM »
Kaven winces at the mentioning of the western wizard.
"Do not worry, Your Grace. We shall see him off. Our right wing is a mess at the moment, but we will be victorious this day. Who knows... perhaps we will turn this trap around and catch Maester Innis ourselves?"

The Baron calls for a horse and a replacement shield. He glances to the giants, then turn to Aubrae once more.
"In the meantime Your Grace, any help you can give my men, would be deeply appreciated. Those... things... whatever they are, are wreaking havoc, and I need to be off, to see that we are not completely overrun."

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #113 on: June 04, 2009, 01:37:53 PM »
"I am sorry Lord Enlien, but my energies are spent for now. Let us just pray that the same applies to the Stromwarden"

Soon the battlefield is covered by thick clouds and mist, greatly reducing visibility. You can hear the giants roaring and shouting as they prey upon the valiant Avanese. Are there more of them now? You cannot be certain. But even if there are no more giants, they are not hindered in any way by the current conditions - if anything they are protected by it and given courage and strength.

Maelcom and the lances, which includes Baron Carr, soon find themselves cut of from the rest of the army, engaged in a running battle with the giants. Though they are able to kill several of the beasts - they turn to nothing once dead - it is a costly affair...the number of dead will not be known until the clouds lift.

Prince Avan summons Aubrae and his commanders to him.
DM Bjørn

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #114 on: June 04, 2009, 02:26:58 PM »
Maelcom struggles to disengage the lancers from their tangle and bring himself and Baron Carr before the Prince for further orders.
Duke of Ghieste,
Viscount of Whyrthe.
Down Right Evil Bastard!

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #115 on: June 04, 2009, 02:37:09 PM »
Meeting:

"Baron Carr, how good to see you. I see Maelcom here convinced you that there WAS a battle going on after all. Shall we perhaps blame it on the weather? The clouds made it difficult for you to see properly? Oh yes, I can ridicule you all I want before your peers, and you will eat it. I should have you executed for cowardice right here and now, but I am being graceful - you are given a chance to redeem yourself. No no. Just be silent. Enough has been said. Think of a way to earn that redemption....and if no inspiration comes, then dying in battle is always an option."

"Daughter. This did not go overly well. Was I not assured that the Stromwarden would be...dealt with? I guess we should be grateful that you did not get yourself killed as well, only a single flank of the army. That would be all. You are excused."

Enlien. Once again well done. Please accept my apologies. I had no idea as to the situation I was placing you into. I do hope you can forgive me?"

He pauses while Aubrae leaves the tent.

"Now. What do we do? Ideas are most welcome, however outlandish. It seems we have been lured here to be killed, but we have escaped the trap - for now. How do we seize a victory from this...mess?"
DM Bjørn

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #116 on: June 04, 2009, 02:52:17 PM »
"From my position on the field I did not see their general your Highness - do we have a location on him or her? I am a take the head man myself you see; both armies are tired already and the removal of the general and/or his standard may just break them."
Duke of Ghieste,
Viscount of Whyrthe.
Down Right Evil Bastard!

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #117 on: June 04, 2009, 02:58:55 PM »
"He was last seen holding their left against Enlien's attack. But with this fog..."
DM Bjørn

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #118 on: June 04, 2009, 03:07:41 PM »
"I agree to that assesment, Your Highness, the death or capturement of their general would be a blow to their morale... Had it not been for the arrival of those... things... I would have confronted the man himself. But we must not discount the appearance of this mage. Her Grace believes him to be short on resources, but even a wizard sort on resources is a wizard with something up his sleeve."

He glances to the battlefield.
"Another option would be to gather what remnants of the cavalry we have, and use it to turn the left flank, roll them up from below? With the remnants of Baron Carr's lancers, that should be a somewhat potent force still. Even if they recently took at beating.
I offer to lead such a charge myself, Your Highness."

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #119 on: June 04, 2009, 03:12:02 PM »
There are several loud crashes followed by screams outside; investigations reveal the enemy has started using catapults...or maybe its just the giants hurling things at you...

Avan:

"Yes yes. That is all very good. But we don't know where their general is - hell we don't even know where their army is beyond what the ranks can see. I just don't see how...very well Lord Enlien, I will grant your request. Take what men you will and roll them up. But be warned, that flank is held by Boeruine warriors - not Talinie or Brosen auxiliaries. It may be that you meet heavy resistance."
DM Bjørn