Author Topic: Player presentation  (Read 37796 times)

Offline X-Tornilen/SM (John)

• Former players
  • Freeman
  • Regency: 4
  • Ex-Tornilen (SM)
Re: Player presentation
« Reply #45 on: September 22, 2008, 11:53:04 PM »
I think I can remember you, Harvey, as the WIT in a game many years ago - though I'd struggle to remember which one.  I do seem to recall the WIT being quite ... ahh ... strident in its theology. ;)
Formerly
Mary Tanar,
Duchess of Tornilen,
the Sword Mage of Anuire.

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
  • Regency: 51
    • Twilightpeaks.net - Hone of Ruins of Empire
« Reply #46 on: September 23, 2008, 07:14:34 AM »
I've only played in one BR PbeM besides my own...it was several years ago, but I can't quite recall the name of the game or who was DM...Chris something maybe? I played the IHH for a few turns...I think some of you guys were in it...Alan, did you play Regien or some such? Can't recall. Lasted only a few turns though, but it was kind nice while it lasted.
DM Bjørn

Offline X-Osoerde (Alan)

• The Dragon
  • Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Regency: 21
« Reply #47 on: September 23, 2008, 03:26:08 PM »
I honestly don't remember.

Numerous BR games I played in, I quickly became disenchanted by -- usually all for the same reasons.   As such, not too many are particular memorable.
Yes, wyrmling, the meat is made all the more tender by armor...

Offline X-Ghieste & HOT/GH (Matt)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 38
  • Duke Ghorien Hiriele of Ghieste, Guilder of H/OT
« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2008, 04:22:26 PM »
As such, not too many are particular memorable.

All except RoE, clearly  ;)
His Grace Ghorien Hiriele,
Duke of Ghieste,
Grand-Maester of the Highland/Overland Traders,
Viscount of Whyrthe.
Down Right Evil Bastard!

Offline X-Osoerde (Alan)

• The Dragon
  • Former players
  • Sovereign
« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2008, 05:48:04 PM »
You are right!

I have been in RoE at least for 5 years (and may be closer to something like 7  or 8, I can't remember...)

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #50 on: September 23, 2008, 05:55:58 PM »
You are right!

I have been in RoE at least for 5 years (and may be closer to something like 7  or 8, I can't remember...)

RoE is 8 years old...and I think you joined in 02/03...so 5 years should be about right...not sure though...
DM Bjørn

Offline X-Osoerde (Alan)

• The Dragon
  • Former players
  • Sovereign
« Reply #51 on: September 23, 2008, 07:49:57 PM »
No clue.  2002 sounds right -- late '02 I think.

Offline X-Roesone/ARR (Robert)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 18
  • Arvour Raemel, Baron of Roesone
« Reply #52 on: September 23, 2008, 09:19:22 PM »
Yay, yet another common trait shared by Birthright fanatics... we're all senile :D

When I started with BR PBEMs I was applying for everything that was available out there. I can't remember the name of the first PBEM I joined, it was one that was run by..I think his name was Lyndon but I'm not sure, sometime in 2001 I'd guess. In any case it had several DMs and was split regionally like in the books. The second was LEBR1 which, I believe, is the only other PBEM ever to approach RoE's longevity (40+ turns) but it turned into a 20th century like game with Anuirean good guys meddling in wars in northern Rjurik, far far far away from their spheres of influence. Still it was fun.

Afterwards, I had to learn the hard way that 90% of PBEMs were afflicted by the infamous "1d4-1 curse" but at that time I had the energy (I guess I can blame it on youth) to keep applying to what would inevitably become doomed projects. Some games were memorable, despite their brevity, like Randy's Night of Fire (hey, you don't forget taking out High Mage Alies as El-Hadid ;D).

Then I discovered this game and started as the Iron Rider, but, having played 5-6 PBEMS simultaneously, RoE completely overwhelmed me (and I had to get used to the idea of a lack of pangalactic-instant-inter-regent communication devices most PBEMs used, i.e. the forum) so I withdrew after a short stay, only to rejoin again as HA in turn... hmm..40? See, told you I'm senile hehe.

I'm 99% convinced this will be my one and only PBEM. I love the rules, I like the maturity of the player base and our dear DM's ability to turn everyone into a masochist, inflicting pain on you and you wanting more hehe. I also don't have that youthful spark of applying and creating characters, putting blind faith into a PBEM to last. I guess, I've just described a PBEM transformation from a young radical to a middle aged conservative ;D
Arvour Raemel, by the Grace of Haelyn Baron of Roesone etc, Champion of Cuiraecen

• Former players
  • Freeman
  • Ex-Tornilen (SM)
« Reply #53 on: September 23, 2008, 10:02:46 PM »
Lyndon Baugh was DM for the Heartlands and South Coast in that game, Robert.  I joined at Lyndon's urging about a turn or two before the game finished, so missed the longevity.  Lyndon himself has had a few serious health issues which have precluded his involvement in the online community much over the last few years, though he looks to be on the mend now - maybe I'll drop him a line about RoE II. :)

My first game, as I recall it, was a game Anakin Miller ran in about 2000 or a little earlier.  That too lasted only a few turns before folding.  My biggest memory was having a young regent take over from Carilon in Alamie and I thought it would be interesting to have her overwhelmed by her suddenly increased bloodline and mighty blood abilities, going into a short term coma, and then having her court advisors trying to run the realm for a few turns without the wider Empire finding out what happened.  One of them decided though it would be a good opportunity to send the army in to evict Guilder Kalien from the southern provinces while another thought hed show some ingenuity and form an agreement with the Eyeless One in return for Sufhanie.  lol.

I'm currently playing in one other game at the moment - up to turn 7 currently.  I expect it will last about 10 turns before the main story line (and the game) wraps up, at which point I'll devote myself to this game only (assuming I get to play, of course).

The biggest thing that sinks games is DM overload - it takes a huge amount of effort and time.  Having done it a little bit, I take my hat off to anyone who makes that investment.
Formerly
Mary Tanar,
Duchess of Tornilen,

Offline X-SRT (Tallak)

• Former players
  • Freeman
  • Regency: 5
« Reply #54 on: September 23, 2008, 10:05:06 PM »
The second was LEBR1 which, I believe, is the only other PBEM ever to approach RoE's longevity (40+ turns) but it turned into a 20th century like game with Anuirean good guys meddling in wars in northern Rjurik, far far far away from their spheres of influence. Still it was fun.

Hey, some of us were Anuirean bad guys meddling in northern Rjurik, far far far away from our own sphere of influence. ;)
Saender Ghoried
Count of Ghoried
First Councilor of the Spider River Traders

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #55 on: September 23, 2008, 10:08:17 PM »
Hey, some of us were Anuirean bad guys meddling in northern Rjurik, far far far away from our own sphere of influence. ;)

Shhhh.... they never had any proof  :P
Oh, and Mhistecai was definitely NOT that Shadowmage fellow who raised 10 million undead in Rjurik, it was all just gossip and hearsay ;D
Arvour Raemel, by the Grace of Haelyn Baron of Roesone etc, Champion of Cuiraecen

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #56 on: September 23, 2008, 10:10:39 PM »
Lyndon Baugh was DM for the Heartlands and South Coast in that game, Robert.  I joined at Lyndon's urging about a turn or two before the game finished, so missed the longevity.  Lyndon himself has had a few serious health issues which have precluded his involvement in the online community much over the last few years, though he looks to be on the mend now - maybe I'll drop him a line about RoE II. :)

Ah yes, Lyndon Baugh. Last I heard was that he had leukemia. I'm glad to hear he's better now. I've no doubt he'd be a great asset to this game. :)

• Former players
  • Freeman
  • Ex-Tornilen (SM)
« Reply #57 on: September 23, 2008, 10:48:11 PM »
Ah yes, Lyndon Baugh. Last I heard was that he had leukemia. I'm glad to hear he's better now. I've no doubt he'd be a great asset to this game. :)

It wasn't leukemia, he had cancer of the throat which has been treated and he's in remission.  I'll drop him a line.

Formerly
Mary Tanar,
Duchess of Tornilen,

Offline X-MOC/Leman States (Even)

• Ser Engineer
  • Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 16
  • Patriarch Leman States
« Reply #58 on: September 29, 2008, 08:49:10 AM »
Hi all.

I'm Even, and I used to play Diemed at the start of the game, but then moved over to co-DMing the game with Bjorn. That gave me more scope for tormenting the other players than just Rune.

I'm Bjorn's younger brother, but, due to my maturity and gravitas, some people naturally assume I'm the elder. I currently reside in Edinburgh, capital of Scotland, Athens of the North, and generally the town that must have the most dog shit on the streets.

I'm hoping to pick up some domain and join the game. Unfortunately my access time to mail is pretty limited these days.

Have fun, and go get those Orogs!!!
Cheers,
E
"We are RuinsofEmpire now, and when we act, we create our own reality."

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #59 on: September 29, 2008, 09:06:17 AM »
Hi all.

I'm Even, and I used to play Diemed at the start of the game, but then moved over to co-DMing the game with Bjorn. That gave me more scope for tormenting the other players than just Rune.

I'm Bjorn's younger brother, but, due to my maturity and gravitas, some people naturally assume I'm the elder. I currently reside in Edinburgh, capital of Scotland, Athens of the North, and generally the town that must have the most dog shit on the streets.

I'm hoping to pick up some domain and join the game. Unfortunately my access time to mail is pretty limited these days.

Have fun, and go get those Orogs!!!
Cheers,
E

Perhaps a domain that doesn't interact too much would be appropriate? Like an orog domain :)
DM Bjørn