Author Topic: MIRROR - The Wraiths of Ilien  (Read 30983 times)

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
  • Regency: 51
    • Twilightpeaks.net - Hone of Ruins of Empire
Re: MIRROR - The Wraiths of Ilien
« Reply #60 on: January 22, 2009, 08:54:16 AM »
Hey! - Goblins are not monsters. And I'm not only saying that because I'm an idiot with 50.000 of them in my garden!  ;D

Check out this post: http://ruinsofempire.twilightpeaks.net/forums/index.php?topic=120.0

Now if your character IC believes they are nothing but little monsters, sure go ahead.  :)

Many Anuireans readily place goblins in the category 'irredeemable monsters', which explains a lot of heinous acts against goblins over the years. Acts that the actor feels are both just and good, perhaps even temple approved (slay al the goblins - spare no one).

The fact though is that murdering goblins is no good act. Slaughtering goblin women and children definitely evil. Good and evil are not relative, and even when justified evil act are...evil.

Now, the murder of goblins might serve some greater purpose and actually save human lives later on (goblins definitely are not do-gooders), but the actual murder of them is not good (at best) and most likely quite evil.
DM Bjørn

Offline X-Medoere & RCS/KE (Thorsten)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 22
« Reply #61 on: January 22, 2009, 11:23:01 AM »
... You can of course try to prevent this from happening, but then you create a potentially very dangerous situation - the Countess has made it pretty clear that "Free City" doesn't imply that she's not in charge.

Namedropping FTW!  :D

Offline X-Bellam & BC/TB (Bobby)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 33
« Reply #62 on: January 22, 2009, 01:29:34 PM »
The Countess is being high-handed, yes, guys, by seizing the prisoners we brought back without any negotiation.  She's pissed.  A member of our party told her she didn't have the authority to question his presence in her own city, and he was high-ranking and powerful enough for that statement to sting badly instead of being laughable.  Her pride is wounded, so she's making it clear who's in charge here, and she's doing it with armed men - that's how regents roll, and it's why they get so many people killed. 

I'm not saying I agree with her - Bellamie certainly doesn't - but we need to consider consequences.  If we call out troops to defend us, item 1 - I guarantee, flat, outright guarantee that not a single one of us will hold those prisoners by the end of it.  They'll be rescued or "accidentally" killed in the confusion.  We'll also get a lot of other folks dead, at best we will wind up besieged inside the cathedral, and Haelyn knows how long it'll take to resolve that situation after we've gone to war with the Countess over this.  Arguing with the troops = ok.  Arguing with the Countess = ok.  Calling out a unit or more of troops to storm through the city and cut down the guards arresting us = disproportionate response.

Offline X-Endier & KoH/GdN (Joe)

• Former players
  • Scion
  • Regency: 7
  • Guy de Nichaleir, Grand-Maester and Count
« Reply #63 on: January 22, 2009, 01:52:03 PM »
It sounds like there is a strong disincentive to adventure in other people's realms, lol.

Guy de Nichaleir, Grand-Maester of the Knights of Haelyn, Count of Endier, the Red Knight

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #64 on: January 22, 2009, 02:00:17 PM »
Funny thing the situation is almost an exact mirror of the HA/Kavarra conflict from turn 50 or so. That one didn't turn out very well...
DM Bjørn

Offline X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper)

• Sovereign
  • Regency: 18
  • Pontiff Wallac Isilviere, High Prefect of the IHH
« Reply #65 on: January 22, 2009, 02:35:14 PM »
Funny thing the situation is almost an exact mirror of the HA/Kavarra conflict from turn 50 or so. That one didn't turn out very well...

Then let’s agree not to repeat. I was not around in RoE at that time and I have a hard time distinguishing between stuff OOC like the Ilien player being MIA and hence lack of relevant communication prior to adventure and the need for the Countess to show her authority.

I do not wish for the new player of Ilien to start out having pissed of her allies, her former allies, her state faith and other faiths in Ilien plus the Pontiff for all temples of Anuire. Really that would not be fair.

But really we come in good faith wishing to free of charge and for our good heart to help freeing Ilien from a threat and in reality mostly we are met with hostility and mistrust bordering outright acts of war.

Besides its disturbing in a city so large that the Countess have guards right on the spot where we surface - it’s not from where we entered; and that those guards know we bring prisoners and have already orders to seize them.

I can understand why Thorsten IC react as if some sinister plot is showing its face when in reality its mostly a brain fart that snow balled starting by Ilien player being MIA and thus lack of relevant pre-adventure communication. Throw in difference of assumptions and things are bound to get out of control. I gather that was not the intention for anybody.
This is my first season of RoE; I have put a great effort into learning the rules and getting to know the setting and what’s more others, DM’s and veteran players, have put a lot of effort into helping me. I would really like not to have everything fall apart due to my own and others brain farts.
I ask Bjørn to help us all to get back on track using what means are necessary including taking temporary control of our characters and decide their actions; Anything but having difference of assumptions and the spinoff from there ruining a perfectly good and exciting adventure. Perhaps drawing a line and say how it was from important NPC’s and PC’s point of view and how they each perceive it from there and close the issue.

Standing by for major brain surgery changing memory and perception of passed events  ;D

PS That is one way to solve it - I'll stay openminded for other ways including having my poor regent thrown in jail or worse but I rather not contribute to that end myself

EDIT: It seems action have allready been taken to solve the issue. My wish for clarrification/change of event including how our respective PC's perceive still stand. Personally I am inclined to go burn whole Ilien and repeatedly kick the Countess in her fat arse, but hey thats just me OOC. No valid reason for me to be such a prick but confusion is a nasty monster

Btw. who volunteer for playing the Ilien domain or am Bjørn going to keep it for his own fun ;D
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 02:49:06 PM by IHH/Pontiff Wallac Isilviere (Kasper) »
His Holiness Wallac Isilviere, Pontiff of All Anuire, High Prefect of the Impregnable Heart of Haelyn

Offline X-Tuornen/LF (Geir)

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Regency: 10
  • Laela Flaertes, Duchess of Tuornen
« Reply #66 on: January 22, 2009, 02:48:44 PM »
It sounds like there is a strong disincentive to adventure in other people's realms, lol.

Well, most would get worried if they had strangers fire off bolts of lightning and slice of heads in their backyard each night. At least one would want a word with the involved at an appropriate moment.
And, one thing is the ever bothersome but useful “Adventurers”,  bored 3rd-sons of some minor nobles and their half-brigand following of runaway novices and mages apprentices. But when the slingers of bolts of lightning and slicers of heads are next door regents of real political power and ambitions, then it’s just too much for many an esteemed lord or lady.
Standing on ones bedchamber balcony hearing the screams and sounds of arms and seeing the blue and red flashes go of at a distance One could mutter. “..do These neighbors not have their own city to play in?”
Laela Flaertes, By the Grace of Haelyn Duchess of Tuornen

- Geir
Tuornen / LF

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #67 on: January 22, 2009, 02:49:35 PM »
I think its sorta nice - lots of tension and stuff. And the Countess gets to establish herself as prickly and uncertain, with a desperate need to show she's in control.
DM Bjørn

Offline X-SASI/Orthien Tane (Rune)

• Former players
  • Scion
  • Regency: 12
  • Maester Orthien Tane
« Reply #68 on: January 22, 2009, 02:53:19 PM »
Personally I am inclined to go burn whole Ilien and repeatedly kick the Countess in her fat arse, but hey thats just me OOC.

To be honest, that would be very much in line with the actions of previous IHH clergy ::)
Orthien Tane, Maester of Southern Anuire Shipping and Imports

• Sovereign
« Reply #69 on: January 22, 2009, 02:57:52 PM »
But it wont be with the new. That was just me speaking - not my regent who is actually a rather nice guy.

I on the other hand wants to put Ilien to the torch and the witch in charge of the damned town put on the bonfire. Guess I will have to restrain some  ::)

I have a feeling that putting my two Hencmen, regent, follower & an crack unit in action to help the bloody damned city wont warrant any thanks. Let me know if anyone have some dirt on the Countess  8)
His Holiness Wallac Isilviere, Pontiff of All Anuire, High Prefect of the Impregnable Heart of Haelyn

• Sovereign
« Reply #70 on: January 22, 2009, 03:10:31 PM »

Well, most would get worried if they had strangers fire off bolts of lightning and slice of heads in their backyard each night. At least one would want a word with the involved at an appropriate moment.
And, one thing is the ever bothersome but useful “Adventurers”,  bored 3rd-sons of some minor nobles and their half-brigand following of runaway novices and mages apprentices. But when the slingers of bolts of lightning and slicers of heads are next door regents of real political power and ambitions, then it’s just too much for many an esteemed lord or lady.
Standing on ones bedchamber balcony hearing the screams and sounds of arms and seeing the blue and red flashes go of at a distance One could mutter. “..do These neighbors not have their own city to play in?”

Well it was her own goddamned statefaith and another major temple present in ilien (and on good terms with Ilien) that did their bloody damned job and RSC was even charged by Diemed, Iliens own liege lord, to do the task.
Her vain pride almost proved a worse enemy than the Wraiths or Red Wind combined.

And but for the Ilien player being MIA Ilien would have been asked for permission.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 03:19:32 PM by IHH/Pontiff Wallac Isilviere (Kasper) »

Offline X-Tuornen/LF (Geir)

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Regency: 10
  • Laela Flaertes, Duchess of Tuornen
« Reply #71 on: January 22, 2009, 03:29:35 PM »

Well it was her own goddamned statefaith and another major temple present in ilien (and on good terms with Ilien) that did their bloody damned job and RSC was even charged by Diemed, Iliens own liege lord, to do the task.
Her vain pride almost proved a worse enemy than the Wraiths or Red Wind combined.

And but for the Ilien player being MIA Ilien would have been asked for permission.

Oh do not think I in any way say against you in this. It was just a reflection on the more general side of the bigger picture so to speak.
Do carry on these most good and appropriate deeds.
Laela Flaertes, By the Grace of Haelyn Duchess of Tuornen

- Geir
Tuornen / LF

Offline X-Medoere & RCS/KE (Thorsten)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 22
« Reply #72 on: January 22, 2009, 04:19:02 PM »

I agree with that sentiment. Oh how I watched the armies and battles come closer to Medoere during the Alliance war. Oh how I was so very happy that they stopped in, and around, Ilien and Roesone instead. Phew! It's hard enough dealing with thinning veils and shadows, without people committing mass-genocide right in front of the darned shadowgates :D

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #73 on: January 22, 2009, 05:37:58 PM »
But it wont be with the new. That was just me speaking - not my regent who is actually a rather nice guy.

I on the other hand wants to put Ilien to the torch and the witch in charge of the damned town put on the bonfire. Guess I will have to restrain some  ::)

I have a feeling that putting my two Hencmen, regent, follower & an crack unit in action to help the bloody damned city wont warrant any thanks. Let me know if anyone have some dirt on the Countess  8)

The Countess IS a witch - literally. Join the OIT, burn the witches!

::)
DM Bjørn

• Sovereign
« Reply #74 on: January 22, 2009, 07:58:30 PM »
Nah I wont take OIT's job from them - I'll leave the actual burning of the Witch (Countss to them) but I guess I, Kasper, may feel little remorse  ;D