Author Topic: I just bought Skyrim  (Read 2374 times)

Offline X-Brosengae [Cloene] (Linde)

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Regency: 19
I just bought Skyrim
« on: December 11, 2011, 10:51:06 AM »
And I am looking forward to playing tonight.

Offline X-Aerenwe/TS (Miloš)

• Former players
  • Scion
  • Regency: 10
    • timeKraft
Re: I just bought Skyrim
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 09:53:45 PM »
So, how do you guys like Skyrim? Please share your thoughts if you can stop playing for a while ;)

Here's what I think

Good:
  • They've improved the combat engine yet again. Playing a stealth character feels just great. Good thing they brought back dual wielding and even better than it was in Daggerfall.
  • Great soundtrack. Really great. Dragonborn is one of the most epic numbers I've ever listened to. It's also great they incorporated the main theme from Morrowind into it.
  • Alchemy is better than in Oblivion but not as original as in Morrowind. They've finally removed ordinary stuff like tomatoes and cucumbers from alchemy
  • Crafing (without upgrading) is great. It's great that you can finally mine ore for real and make stuff from it instead of just selling it or using it in alchemy.

Bad:
  • Even fewer skills than Oblivion. Consolisation is still ongoing. I'm sure that in the next Elder Scrolls we'll only have Attack, Defence, Magic and Other skills.
  • Only 4 types of melee weapons and 1 ranged? I was annoyed when they removed Spears and Crossbows in Oblivion but this is just horrible.
  • Goodbye to detailed factions. Now the world is in turmoil and each faction in Skyrim has only one HQ and nothing else. A faction for each play style so that gamers don't get confused. 'WTF is this House Tervani when I already joins the Meges Guide? Me konfoozd!'
  • Bugs. They haven't made a game this bugged since Daggerfall.
  • Upgrading system is horribly unbalanced. Like it was slapped onto the product just a few hours before release. Smithing is too easy to level up and too good not to be levelled up. A piece of equipment upgraded with a perk easily overpowers any other, even Daedric. Even with all the perks, getting equipment made of better material gives you only a minor improvement. It's better to wear Iron armour with good enchantments than Daedric with no enchantments. Materials were very important in previous Elder Scrolls games and I hate to see them devalued in this manner.
  • 5th game in the series and they still can't make the potions take time to drink. At least they were scarce in Daggerfall. Now you can defeat anything if you have enough healing potions and it doesn't kill you in one shot.
  • Dragons have been greatly devalued. A great disappointment for a long time fan of the series. They were always part of the legend... there was even a rumour that you could see one in Daggerfall. Now you are killing them by dozens, taking their souls and hoarding their bones and scales.
  • Last, but far from the least, the graphics are an embarrassment. Everything looks great from afar but when you get close to something it looks like Daggerfall. Good thing fans are already releasing improved textures so I can finally play a good-looking game at 20fps :)
Tasaenae Swordwraith,
By the Grace of Haelyn and Nesirie,
Queen of Aerenwe,
Countess of Calrie,
Protector and High Warden of the Erebannien

Offline X-Roesone/SG (Shido)

• Former players
  • Scion
  • Count Saender Ghoried
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 08:01:03 AM »
About dragons : well, there's something wrong when at level 20 I did not met a dragon I was not able to kill - and I have to run in fear when I see a poor snow bear ...
I also don't like the way of simplification ... good old times of Daggerfall when I was able to spend hours trying to make a new character ...
On other side, after 63 hours of playing, I did not met a serious bug ... well the backward flying dragons were terrible after the patch 1.2 or so, but still better than backward running snow bears :)

Count Saender Ghoried
Crown Regent of Roesone
First councillor of the Spider River Traders
Royal guild of Roesone

Offline X-Aerenwe/TS (Miloš)

• Former players
  • Scion
    • timeKraft
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 10:15:39 AM »
On other side, after 63 hours of playing, I did not met a serious bug ... well the backward flying dragons were terrible after the patch 1.2 or so, but still better than backward running snow bears :)

Lucky you. Bugs are mostly with quests. I got Thieves Guild quest completely blocked from progressing by breaking into Honningbrew Meadery before getting the quest to do so. There are many quests that get bugged if you do something before you are supposed to, but this one is the most important.
Tasaenae Swordwraith,
By the Grace of Haelyn and Nesirie,
Queen of Aerenwe,
Countess of Calrie,
Protector and High Warden of the Erebannien

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
  • Regency: 51
    • Twilightpeaks.net - Hone of Ruins of Empire
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 11:33:12 AM »
You have time for playing GAMES!? Gasp!!! ;)
DM Bjřrn

• Former players
  • Noble
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2011, 11:23:36 PM »
Yeah, I have cut back on sleep.

Offline X-Ghieste & HOT/GH (Matt)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 38
  • Duke Ghorien Hiriele of Ghieste, Guilder of H/OT
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2011, 12:50:49 AM »
I have not been allowed to buy any games for 2 months. This is because in those 2 months the kids may have bought me one for under the tree :)
His Grace Ghorien Hiriele,
Duke of Ghieste,
Grand-Maester of the Highland/Overland Traders,
Viscount of Whyrthe.
Down Right Evil Bastard!

• Former players
  • Noble
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2011, 09:00:14 AM »
hope you get time to enjoy it