Author Topic: Anathema: General discussion (OOC)  (Read 51544 times)

Offline Dragon Lord

• Champion of Chaos
  • Scion
  • Regency: 6
Re: Anathema: General discussion (OOC)
« Reply #150 on: November 14, 2013, 01:13:43 AM »
As far as Maegon can tell the communicator is picking up an encrypted identification signal. Unfortunately it cannot process it properly because of the missing encryption/decryption module. Could it real loyalist marines out there, trying to verify your identity? Where are all the tech-priests when you really need them. Damnation!
Incidentally, the Dark Angels don't exactly have the best history with the Inquisition.  Having them in the same place as Grey Knights could be interesting.

Offline HBoT/JA (Viktor)

• RoE3 (Rjurik)
  • Scion
  • Regency: 1
« Reply #151 on: November 14, 2013, 08:09:23 AM »
I don't think there is a known animosity between the Grey Knights and the Dark Angels. At least not at the scale of the animosity between the Space Wolves and Grey Knights after Armageddon I.

I believe it is one-way, i.e. the inquisition not trusting the Dark Angels or the Unforgiven in general. Probably rightly so if you read the lore about Caliban / Luther / Fallen etc.

And you do have an Inquisitor in your party!
Master James Ardannt
Haelyn Bastion of Truth

When the people forget their duty they are no longer human and become something less than beasts. They have no place in the bosom of humanity nor in the heart of the All-Father. Let them die and be forgotten

Offline Dragon Lord

• Champion of Chaos
  • Scion
« Reply #152 on: November 14, 2013, 10:00:09 AM »
There isn't any specific animosity between the Dark Angels and the Grey Knights.  The Dark Angels would in fact generally get on less well the Ordo Hereticus (i.e. Maegon ::)), but if there is one of the Fallen in the area they aren't going to be happy about any Inquisitorial agents being around.

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
  • Regency: 51
    • Twilightpeaks.net - Hone of Ruins of Empire
« Reply #153 on: November 14, 2013, 11:14:47 AM »
It is also best not to assume anything about stuff your characters wouldn't know anything about...in Anathema things aren't always what you expect them to be.
DM Bjørn

Offline Dragon Lord

• Champion of Chaos
  • Scion
« Reply #154 on: November 14, 2013, 12:47:03 PM »
Fair enough, I know Azrael wouldn't have any idea about the lack of trust between the Dark Angels and the Inquisition.  Maegon might do though.

Offline LordPsycho

• Champion of Chaos
  • Scion
  • Let the galaxy burn. Let the heavens bleed.
« Reply #155 on: November 14, 2013, 01:19:29 PM »
lack of trust between the Dark Angels and the Inquisition

Interesting point  ;)

According to the fluff, nobody outside of the DA Legion knows that "The Great Betrayal" occurred and that "The Fallen" exist. Within the Chapters itself, only the Deathwing and senior officers know these secrets. The Chapter leadership will go to great lengths to ensure that this knowledge does not reach the Imperium at large, even at times going so far as to disobey direct orders from Inquisitors and cause overly curious individuals to "disappear".

However, on several occasions the behavior of Dark Angels raised suspicion. These events were rare and in my humble opinion, the number of people aware of them is very low.
Probably not the full Inquisition.
Not the Grey Knights.
Not Maegon.

Thoughts ?

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Dark_Angels#The_Great_Betrayal
http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Ophidium_Gulf_Crusade
wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Voice_of_the_Emperor
"Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a thousand battles without disaster." Sun Tzu

"No campaign plan survives first contact with the enemy" C. von Clausewitz

"You are a ghost, a figure that stands between light and dark, trapped amid the grey." Malcador the Sigillite

Offline Dragon Lord

• Champion of Chaos
  • Scion
« Reply #156 on: November 14, 2013, 02:05:52 PM »
I think your take on it is reasonable LordPsycho.  Certainly no-one outside the Inner Circle of the Unforgiven chapters knows about the Great Betrayal and the hunt for the Fallen.  I think the general lack of co-operation between the Dark Angels and the Inquisition spreads a little further, but then they are hardly the only one of the older chapters to hold themselves aloof of Imperial politics.

Maegon certainly wouldn't have any idea about the Dark Angels true darker side (as he wouldn't be alive if he did ;)).  However he might well be aware that the Dark Angels are rather secretive and don't exactly have a history of co-operation with the Inquisition.

The disappearance of Inquisitors who put their noses where they aren't wanted would similarly always have been done in such a way that nothing could be definitively tied back to the Dark Angels/Unforgiven.  It is not implausible that there might be suspicions that they somehow had an involvement, but no-one could prove anything.  Rather like how skilled politicians always seem to manage to come out clean after things hit the fan.

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #157 on: November 17, 2013, 10:58:34 PM »
Currently finishing up my 40k fan-fic novel, so my posting frequency will be low for a few more days.
DM Bjørn

Offline Lurk Skywalker

• Senior Lurker
  • Champion of Chaos
  • Scion
  • Regency: 4
« Reply #158 on: November 18, 2013, 12:00:29 PM »
Been at work all weekend, and the trend is likely to continue for the next four weeks and this will mingle with higher frequency of business trips. Every year the run-up to Christmas gets worse and worse, this make me angry.
My assiduity here will per force suffer until Christmas, with intermittent returns... Please feel free to use the marine chappies (not you and your daemons Bjorn :)) ) to avoid disrupting the fun and flow. I will accommodate easily.

Sorry.

Offline Ohlaak (Alan)

• RoE3 (Rjurik)
  • Sovereign
  • Regency: 3
  • The Dragon
« Reply #159 on: November 19, 2013, 12:47:12 AM »
I just had a good idea about a ship and the daemon, so if Bjorn doesn't mind liberties with his daemon, I am going to write something up.

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #160 on: November 19, 2013, 08:50:59 AM »
Well, the daemon just left the building so to speak so what do you have in mind?
DM Bjørn

Offline Ohlaak (Alan)

• RoE3 (Rjurik)
  • Sovereign
  • Regency: 3
  • The Dragon
« Reply #161 on: November 19, 2013, 12:32:44 PM »
He's going for a hidden or lost ship...

Offline Dragon Lord

• Champion of Chaos
  • Scion
« Reply #162 on: November 20, 2013, 01:29:02 AM »
Been at work all weekend, and the trend is likely to continue for the next four weeks and this will mingle with higher frequency of business trips. Every year the run-up to Christmas gets worse and worse, this make me angry.
My assiduity here will per force suffer until Christmas, with intermittent returns... Please feel free to use the marine chappies (not you and your daemons Bjorn :)) ) to avoid disrupting the fun and flow. I will accommodate easily.
That's fine, I'll likely be more busy in the run up to Christmas too (as that is my deadline for submitting my thesis).

Offline Lurk Skywalker

• Senior Lurker
  • Champion of Chaos
  • Scion
  • Regency: 4
« Reply #163 on: November 20, 2013, 08:26:01 AM »
Good luck with that Dragon Lord.
What is it about?

Offline Dragon Lord

• Champion of Chaos
  • Scion
« Reply #164 on: November 21, 2013, 01:05:54 AM »
Thanks Alex.
I work on debris (think asteroids and comets) in planetary systems, particularly how they relate to the formation of terrestrial planets.