Author Topic: Boer vs. Avan #63  (Read 38451 times)

Offline X-Ghieste & HOT/GH (Matt)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 38
  • Duke Ghorien Hiriele of Ghieste, Guilder of H/OT
Re: Boer vs. Avan #63
« Reply #75 on: June 03, 2009, 08:23:18 PM »
Maelcom sees the flank shred and for a moment his heart is in his mouth, knowing that an envelopment of the centre could collapse the Avanese alliance and break the battle in favour of the Boer. He looks around him assessing what he has and with a wry grin and a chuckle to himself he stands up in his stirrups.

"Right my lads! We are going in! This bridge is all very well but there is a real battle that we're missing! We are going to go in and you are going to shout and cheer and trumpet! I am going to make that flank of the enemy stop moving and you are all going to help me; we pin them in place and left the right flank complete its work for us and the day is ours! So come on my boys, have at them!"

With a cheer and a salute the detachment under his command moves forward, armsmen centre with missiles on either flank and the mounted armsmen as a heavy hitting reserve with an eye to the bridge in case of any trouble there. Keeping his units between the enemy and the bridge they shout and cheer, all their banners and standards fluttering as they attempt to cause panic and worry within the Boer's men.
His Grace Ghorien Hiriele,
Duke of Ghieste,
Grand-Maester of the Highland/Overland Traders,
Viscount of Whyrthe.
Down Right Evil Bastard!

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
  • Regency: 51
    • Twilightpeaks.net - Hone of Ruins of Empire
« Reply #76 on: June 03, 2009, 08:24:48 PM »
Main:

Ser Brosuine manages to get his cavalry clear of the routing left wing and quickly rides to the rear and around toward the right flank. In the meantime the Boer general has sent HIS cavalry to drive away your cavalry under Ser Hadrian...had he not he would have risked envelopment. Ser Brosuine arrives just in time to see Ser Hardian's men driven away, but they rally and counterattack once they see Brosuine's banner.

In the future...perhaps not divide your cavalry when this enables the enemy's inferior cavalry to gain local superiority?

With the left wing in full flight your army's left becomes enveloped by the Boeruine men, and suddenly your 2nd echelon left and 3rd echelon center are engaged in a confusing melee. To buy the men a little time to regroup Prince Avan personally leads his knights into the fray, charging the enemy several times before falling back behind the lines.

It is beginning to appear a bad idea to mix units from so many different realms; you would be better served perhaps by having each contingent stay in separate sections...at least it appears that way now.

On your right flank things are going well enough. And once Brosuine has defeated the enemy cavalry, you can overlap his flank with your 2nd echelon right wing.
DM Bjørn

Offline X-Medoere & RCS/KE (Thorsten)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 22
« Reply #77 on: June 03, 2009, 08:40:45 PM »
(I did kinda count on the legendary knight unit on the flank in my original planning :P)

Kaven snarls with uncharactaristic furiousity at the possibility of being overrun. "Sally forth!" he wills at the castles looming walls, even as he slashes furiously at an enemy swordsman. "Sally forth, and we can win this!"

The Baron raises a hoarse voice.
"Haelyn bless your swordarm, soldiers of Avanil. Haelyn grant you strength, men from Diemed and Roesone. Hold firm, and show them the stubborness that all Anuireans pride themselves with! Fight with tooth and nail, spear and arrow. We are the calm in the storm, the eye of the hurricane. We stand, and by doing so, we win!"

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #78 on: June 03, 2009, 10:23:25 PM »
Kaven is obviously out of tactical options, and reduced to inspiring the men by acts of valor. Perhaps just as well at this stage.

Maelcom arrives at a crucial time, just as the Westerners are about to roll up the entire left part of the Avanese army. Though his numbers are not great and his attack quickly blunted, he lifts the pressure of the beleaguered main army, allowing it to recover. The left is stable again, at least for the time being.

In the center nothing much happens except the killing continues.

On the right you are pushing the Boer's back, but not causing any rout.

The end result is that the Avanese army has rotated clockwise about 60 degrees from its initial deployment, and that rotation is continuing, and threatening to break apart both armies, leading to confused melee.

DM Bjørn

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #79 on: June 03, 2009, 10:31:59 PM »
In the meantime the Brosen units on the other side of the river use the opportunity to reclaim the northern part of the bridge, sending some cavalry and archers across.

Then the cavalry that crossed over suddenly turn on the arches and chase them into the river, before riding back...only to be met by pikes and arrow fire. Reluctant to press on they return to the north bank and the ride of to the west, towards Ashien.
DM Bjørn

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #80 on: June 03, 2009, 10:49:44 PM »
Kaven takes a quick glance around, then gritting his teeth he calls the entire center of the 2nd Echelon forward.
Then he raises his voice once more,
"Follow me, men. Follow and let us carve a wedge into these currs, and regain the initiative. Haelyn guide our aim and light our path... Press onwards!" attempting to press left to halt the rotating battleline, as the men of the 2nd line fill the gap left behind.

click herefor map

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #81 on: June 03, 2009, 10:58:45 PM »
Feeling the crunch point coming, the tiredness in his limbs of the constant battle where the rythym and training kicks in instead of thought and control. He looks up and hears the shouts, wipes the sweat from his brow and roars his anger at the enemy. The time is now, the enemy shall die!

"Charge! One! Last! Push! ONE! LAST! PUSH!"

The sheer energy, the adrenalin that flows again with the shouts drives the seasoned men forward; they have been here before many a time and have learnt that pushing forwards, just making those agressive steps drives the line forwards and that sometimes, just sometimes, that is enough.
Duke of Ghieste,
Viscount of Whyrthe.
Down Right Evil Bastard!

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #82 on: June 03, 2009, 11:00:56 PM »
After another hour the battle lines have stabilized, but by then both sides are too weary to fight, so a one-hour break is agreed to between Avan and Bacaele.

Going to sleep now
DM Bjørn

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #83 on: June 03, 2009, 11:34:19 PM »
Kaven walks among the men he has spent the last couple of hours fighting besides, and lets a few encouraging words drop, then he asks for an audience with the Prince accepting whatever scolding the Avaneese leader might have stoically. He kneels and lays forth his new battleplan.

"Your Highness, I have an idea that might aid us, but it requires for another charge by the knights. I do not know if I can impune upon You to have them assist us in such a way, they will have support, but I intend for all the cavalry to set into their right wing, while the infantry press center and fire close range on the left with aid from the ballistas."

He presents a piece of parchment, with a rough sketching of his idea.

"Your Highness, I am surprised, that the castle defenders did not attempt to come to our aid. We must assume that they are so pressed, that they cannot afford to attempt a sally. I would thus not count on their support, though it may still show itself during the next press."

He also asks to offer the foe the chance to surrender and leave in peace yet.

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #84 on: June 03, 2009, 11:45:46 PM »
Maelcom also walks amongst the men, though he seeks out all that are Lion, that carry the arms of Ghieste on their chest. He talks happily with each, slapping shoulders, sharing a wineskin and handing out bread and cheese to those who wish it. He tries to set each brow and heart at ease, to let each one he speaks with or who sees him that he has fought beside them, that he has lost friends too but that this battle will soon end with their victory, with the Boer routed from the field, driving them back into the West where they belong.

Duke of Ghieste,
Viscount of Whyrthe.
Down Right Evil Bastard!

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #85 on: June 04, 2009, 08:33:28 AM »
The Prince summons his commanders:

"Lord Enlien - well done. You are a most competent commander. I am convinced. Just remember to always keep a reserve...in this case it was the vanity of a Prince that saved the day, but I might always be around, eh?"

The Prince is battered and covered in blood and grime - someone has tried to wipe his armor clean, but only smeared everything....but he has suffered no injury and seems to be in a gay mood.

"Ser Maelcom, you abandoned your post, and for that I am grateful. It is always good when a commander keeps his wits about him. We can always retake the bridge - but first we must win the battle."

He drinks a little wine.

"Ser Maelcom, I have new orders for you. Take five men and as many horses as you need and ride with all haste to the south and then to the main (OOC: south) gate of the Caer. There demand that the Baron see you. When he does, give him this letter and say that his Duchess and his prince would both like to see him on the field today. Let it be understood that if he does not, then his oath has been broken, and if it is the last thing that I do I will see him drawn and quartered. Can you do that my man?" Good. Be on your way then."
DM Bjørn

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #86 on: June 04, 2009, 08:45:51 AM »
"Ser Brosuine. Most well done. Your orders are to gather every cavalryman and horse and gather then on the right flank, but obscured behind the main lines. That even includes my own knights, hell, you can even have mine own steed. Go now, and make us a show of valor that will be remembered in song!"

"Ser Hadrien, you have the left. Gather what pikes you can and make a strong block of it on the wing. Then place the irregulars as flank security. The left will NOT break again, is that clear? One step back and you need not return. For each pace forward and you will have a purse of gold - to keep or distribute among the men as you see fit. Understood? Now go."

"Lord Enlien you have the right. That will be where the battle is decided. Take what men of Diemed you can find and make as strong a line as you can, but remember that you will need depth as well as length. Also, you will personally see to it that my daughter, the Duchess of Taeghas, Lady Aubrae Avan, Heir to Avanil, does not come to harm. She will go with you to the right and prepare to use the magic of the land against those that seek to harm it. Questions?"

"I will take the men of Ghieste and Roesone, and some of my own, and hold the center. Hold it mind you; decision will be up to the right - the magic of Lady Aubrae, the might of our horse, and your own valor...that should be enough. We will roll up their flank and crush them against the Caer, even as the coward Baron sallies forth."

"That is the plan anyway. Now only the will of the gods and the courage of men can decide this."
DM Bjørn

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #87 on: June 04, 2009, 08:54:00 AM »
"Thank you your Highness; his grace, the Duke of Ghieste has always been most particular about the application of the practical when it comes to strategies. I would rather have been able to hold the position requested for the whole of the engagement however fortune left me and my men stranded and the left in danger - there was only one option in truth."

And quickly turning to Kaven,

"My apologies m'Lord for abandoning the post designated. I hope I have not given offence. I shall now be off though, as his Highness commands."

Taking five of his own his guard Maelcom mounts up, takes up spare horse and makes for the south as ordered, a grim determined smile on his face.
Duke of Ghieste,
Viscount of Whyrthe.
Down Right Evil Bastard!

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #88 on: June 04, 2009, 09:08:20 AM »
"Your Highness, I will guard her with mine life." Kaven states, without hesitation.
"I have faith in the capabilities of the men of the south. We *will* break the foe. Come nightfall, Your Highness and Her Grace both will enjoy the hospitality of the Caer Carr, with no forces left outside to contest us."

He looks to General Maelcom, imparting a silent thank with a little nod, then turns to the prince once more.
"I will excuse myself, Your Highness... I need to see to the men."

Bowing deeply, Kaven retreats to adress the ranks as dictated by the Prince.

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #89 on: June 04, 2009, 09:18:19 AM »
"Thank you your Highness; his grace, the Duke of Ghieste has always been most particular about the application of the practical when it comes to strategies. I would rather have been able to hold the position requested for the whole of the engagement however fortune left me and my men stranded and the left in danger - there was only one option in truth."

And quickly turning to Kaven,

"My apologies m'Lord for abandoning the post designated. I hope I have not given offence. I shall now be off though, as his Highness commands."

Taking five of his own his guard Maelcom mounts up, takes up spare horse and makes for the south as ordered, a grim determined smile on his face.

The baron is none to eager to meet Maelcom, but finally you manage to intimidate a guard Captain into taking the letter to him, and not long after he appears to speak with you through a small window in a side door. The man looks fit and strong enough, a real knight, but he has the look of someone very afraid.
DM Bjørn