Author Topic: Osoerde vs. Elinie OOC Slapfest  (Read 11089 times)

Offline X-Elinie/RiD (Niels)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 19
  • Formerly Star of the East
Osoerde vs. Elinie OOC Slapfest
« on: August 03, 2009, 07:56:18 PM »
Because this doesn't belong in the DO thread.

Yea, my DO's been in awhile. I'm apparently on the receiving end of a completely uncalled for war!  :)

I mean, he could at least get a better casus belli than not having access to Markazor... He could have bought passage through Tornilen and Mhoried. Same 5 provinces of movement. A couple of bridges and he'd be all set.

Oh the injustice! The inhumanity!
I thought we were staying clear of any inter-player wars during the grace period? Was it ended a turn early after all?

Well, he declared at the very end of of turn, so I assume he is actually being nice about it, getting the declaration out in advance of an early spring strike. He could have saved it, but we both knew it was around the corner.

We should discuss further in a mirror of the declaration, and leave this for the DO stuff.

I'm apparently on the receiving end of a completely uncalled for war!  :)

I suppose that is technically true.  You never called for war with Osoerde explicitly.  To us, at least.

I mean, you did cut Osoerde off from a vassal.  And there were multiple seasons of failed diplomacy.  And you declared an Osoerdean vassal anathema.  And insulted others.  And rejected the possibility of further Diplomacy to resolve the situation.  And conspired against a vassal state.  And so on.

But, hey, you never actually said "Let's have a war!"  That's Osoerde's job, what with us being such imperialistic bastards and all.  Good point!

Sounds like Bobby has been misinformed by Alan. Elinie did not cut anyone off from Morcosoer, we just happen to be on the road there. The diplomacy all failed because Gerad ibn Daouta, a.k.a the Malignant, the Usurper and the Traitor, refused to return to Elinie as a hero, yes that was a choice he had, and become the heir. - OR stay in Osoerde and accept the titles there, yes this predates him becoming a vassal, IF he made a decree stating that Gerad had no designs or claims on the Duchy of Elinie.

Either of those choices would have gotten the treaty completed. A treaty btw. where Elinie's main demand is that the two duchies are defensive allies, and that Osoer's law holding counts as Elinien for the purposes of negating prosperity loss. - Lets forget that completely, right? - That the lawholding has been gnawing at Elinie since day 1.

Elinie did not deny further Diplomacy. Coeranys was unable to attend a joint meeting this season, due to being kidnapped and probably killed, and the Archduke never called back, so there was no reason to go.

In addition, all proposed treaties have been offered by Elinie, all attempts at negotiating benefits that could possible assuage the other nobles of Elinie to accept Gerad in Osoerde, were denied by a too proud Archduke. - The Archduke DID offer one treaty, where Elinie bows knee in 10 years of vassalage, and he promised to take away the power Elinies vassals have and hand it to Rashid direct.

In other words, Osoer wants a puppet in Elinie. He doesn't care if its called Gerad or Rashid.

The Archduke has the duty to protect his vassals. Elinie has offered to send troops to Morcosoer to protect it while the treaty was pending. - We gave an offer, and it was flat rejected and no attempts at bargaining were made.

Then, this winter, the Ogre goes to Morcosoer and we point out to the Marquis, that we might be able to muster the troops he needs, but we can't do so with the blessing of his current master. - Any breach would be by the Marquis, and rightfully so, since Osoer is busy powermongering.

Alright! - Last point. All the things the decree outlawing Gerad spaeks of are true and is public knowledge. He was the General of Elinie, serving Rashid. Rashid is chased off by Adaliz' and Gerad runs south. Rashid regains the power, yet Gerad stays away... Then Rashid gets to speak with Gerad, and Gerad refuses to come home = Desertion = Treason.

Yet the negotiations continue, for Elinie doesn't desire war, nor the enmity of Gerad. It is stressed repeatedly that Gerad must be dealt with and the Archduke is urged to tell him to give up his possible claim on Elinie. He refuses!

Yea, my DO's been in awhile. I'm apparently on the receiving end of a completely uncalled for war!  :)

I mean, he could at least get a better casus belli than not having access to Markazor... He could have bought passage through Tornilen and Mhoried. Same 5 provinces of movement. A couple of bridges and he'd be all set.

The SM refused access because as you requested...

This is this winter, where negotiations are so sour even grapes couldn't be that sour. The Sword Mage reports to noone, least of all Elinie. If the Archduke hadn't declared at the S&C that she was an abomitable freak that should be put down, he might have had better results.

I thought we were staying clear of any inter-player wars during the grace period? Was it ended a turn early after all?

I definitely have been under the assumption that the grace period was over for all intents and purposes.  As a side note, I didn't actually intend to wait until the very end to issue the decree -- I was just strapped for time primarily.

I'm a little worried about that statement, since I have certainly refrained from actions in conflict with that rule.

Finally, all the above is in the reaction to being called out on an OOC remark. All the above is OOC that your characters does not neccessarily know unless you are in the conflict.  (And in the case of Bobby, not all info seems to have been available).

Indeed, my best defense shall be truth.
Formerly: His Grace, Patriarch Rashid ibn Daouta, Last Imperial Duke of the Eastern Marches, Duke of Elinie, Master of Sutren Hills, Holy Paladin of Avanalae, Light of Reason.

Offline X-Bellam & BC/TB (Bobby)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 33
Re: Osoerde vs. Elinie OOC Slapfest
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 08:18:14 PM »
OOC and IC always need to be separate - OOC, I have a couple suspicions that have nothing to do with extant nations, but IC I got nothing. 

Two points, simply noting a bit of "how things work":

1) Having Elinie move troops into Morcosoer to secure it, while Diplomacies are failing to secure safe passage for Osoerde's troops to reach it, would be the next best thing to handing the entire region to Elinie to keep.  It'd make Elinie the operating power there, and would be impossible for us to retract once given because, as previously noted, we couldn't get troops there.  That's as ridiculous a suggestion from Osoerde's perspective as you found Alan's treaty proposal to be.  From Osoerde's perspective, your actions in repeatedly blocking travel to Morcosoer amount to a deliberate destruction of the archduchy's territorial claims.

2) You misunderstood one of my statements.  We (specifically, I) offered to do another Diplomacy with Lord Dhon (hence actions don't enter into the matter) to resolve the issues between you and Gerad.  That's the rejected Diplomacy I meant. 

Diplomacy-by-underlings is both traditional and valuable for a couple reasons.  Firstly, they can say things that their bosses can't, whether because of pride, national standing, etc.  And if they say the wrong thing, they can be disavowed.  That lets them explore options that the rulers might not be able to.  Secondly, they can sidestep inflamed tempers - in this case, Dhon and I would be much more objective about the issue than Rashid, Gerad, or Osoer.  Lastly, in this case, we could go back and re-examine possible issues in the previous negotiations.  My personal estimation here is that Rashid and Gerad's actual desires aren't mutually exclusive, but the tension and anger has pushed them into widening the gap instead of reducing it, so neither can find the compromises that would let them reconcile.  I'd hoped to resolve this; you rejected it flatly and insulted the suggestion.  Interestingly enough, the alternative to Diplomacy tend to be War.

Sounds like we need a ruling on the Grace Period, though, ASAP.

Offline X-Osoerde (Alan)

• The Dragon
  • Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Regency: 21
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 08:44:30 PM »
This is largely a a pointless and irrelevent conversation.

99% of what has been said are largely IC talking points and offer very little to RoE in an OCC manner.

This has occured because Osoer was 'nicer' to Gerad, and Rashid simply was not. 

This has also occured a bit from some misunderstanding regarding RoE flavor.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 08:51:49 PM by Osoerde/William Osoer (Alan) »
Yes, wyrmling, the meat is made all the more tender by armor...

Offline X-Elinie/RiD (Niels)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 19
  • Formerly Star of the East
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 08:52:44 PM »
I agree. But while I fear it may sound trite; You guys started it!

I couldn't leave propaganda unanswered, even if its OOC.

On the points Bobby make; On 1, part of the price offered were lands in Markazor. As it is, noone will ever have time and effort to develop all provinces if solo.

On 2, Elinie had already given great many details on how the situation could be resolved. Secondly, call me paranoid, but sending a Count to negotiate with a Baron is lopsided. Could have asked for his master if anything.
Formerly: His Grace, Patriarch Rashid ibn Daouta, Last Imperial Duke of the Eastern Marches, Duke of Elinie, Master of Sutren Hills, Holy Paladin of Avanalae, Light of Reason.

Offline X-Osoerde (Alan)

• The Dragon
  • Former players
  • Sovereign
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 09:03:24 PM »

I couldn't leave propaganda unanswered, even if its OOC.

On the points Bobby make; On 1, part of the price offered were lands in Markazor. As it is, noone will ever have time and effort to develop all provinces if solo.

On 2, Elinie had already given great many details on how the situation could be resolved. Secondly, call me paranoid, but sending a Count to negotiate with a Baron is lopsided. Could have asked for his master if anything.

Osoer choose Dhon, because Dhon engineers the relationship with Aerenwe -- it appeared that he was the most prevalent Elinien Diplomat...

Offline X-Osoerde (Alan)

• The Dragon
  • Former players
  • Sovereign
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 09:06:19 PM »

I think this is what started it --

Offline X-Roesone/ARR (Robert)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 18
  • Arvour Raemel, Baron of Roesone
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009, 09:09:21 PM »
IMO, all this belongs to the sphere of IC. One reason I dislike forums for IC is because they serve as a platform to draw faraway regents into conflicts that do not or should not concern them. I'd suggest you all end the "who started it" debate and start sending IC dispatches to potential friends an allies.
Arvour Raemel, by the Grace of Haelyn Baron of Roesone etc, Champion of Cuiraecen

Offline X-Osoerde (Alan)

• The Dragon
  • Former players
  • Sovereign
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2009, 09:15:31 PM »
Don't even get me started, Robert.

Offline X-Bellam & BC/TB (Bobby)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 33
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2009, 09:21:40 PM »
Probably the only 'public' item remaining at this point would be the question of the grace period.  Which is a pretty big issue, so oddly enough, this has actually served a purpose.

Offline X-Roesone/ARR (Robert)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 18
  • Arvour Raemel, Baron of Roesone
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2009, 09:38:35 PM »
As I understand it, turn 64 is still grace period. I assumed Osoerde declared war in the winter, but it will in fact start in the spring (65) which would be after the grace period and, well, when horses have something to graze if you want an IC explanation :)
Arvour Raemel, by the Grace of Haelyn Baron of Roesone etc, Champion of Cuiraecen

Offline X-DM Jon

• Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Slide
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2009, 10:40:55 PM »
As I understand it, turn 64 is still grace period. I assumed Osoerde declared war in the winter, but it will in fact start in the spring (65) which would be after the grace period and, well, when horses have something to graze if you want an IC explanation :)

Indeed. However Bjørn has been sending somewhat mixed signals... So it remains to be seen whether the grace period was considered over or not. A decision was never announced.

Offline X-Mhoried/Droene Kavarra (Iasonas)

• Former players
  • Scion
  • Regency: 3
  • The Mhor, Droene Kavarra
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2009, 10:54:23 PM »

Indeed. However Bjørn has been sending somewhat mixed signals... So it remains to be seen whether the grace period was considered over or not. A decision was never announced.

I was under the impression that during #64 we would have no pvp wars. Actually the fact that there was no decision over this implied that nothing changed from the initial proclamations of the game.

Either way it does not matter now..  ;D
Droene Kavarra.
The Mhor.
The land is inherited,
The respect is earned.

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
  • Regency: 51
    • Twilightpeaks.net - Hone of Ruins of Empire
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2009, 08:51:15 AM »
Bjørn likes mixed signals....

The grace period was intended to give the players a few turns of calm and quiet to learn the rules...but did the players remain clam and quiet? Nooo...they got very creative, very, very fast. Starting with alliance-building on the grand scale. So in a sense the spirit of the grace period crashed and burned from turn 61. Oh, I've denied a few attempts at heavy contesting and I know a few players have wanted to do thins but put them on hold.

Did I really answer the question? Nooo...because I like mixed signals  :P

...and if Osoer wants to ride through the muddy plains of Elinie while the half-Khinasi chase him on horseback and fire arrows at him, should he not be allowed? Oh, and Elinie has a dragon...did you know ::)

DM Bjørn

Offline X-MOC/Leman States (Even)

• Ser Engineer
  • Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 16
  • Patriarch Leman States
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2009, 02:16:24 PM »
Well, he declared at the very end of of turn, so I assume he is actually being nice about it, getting the declaration out in advance of an early spring strike. He could have saved it, but we both knew it was around the corner.

Hah, I guess somebody is turning up to the battle 2 months late  :D
"We are RuinsofEmpire now, and when we act, we create our own reality."

Offline X-Osoerde (Alan)

• The Dragon
  • Former players
  • Sovereign
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2009, 03:27:24 PM »
LMAO -- I think I love Landen Tshalen :)  He might become my new favorite NPC -- since the EO is dead and the RW is MIA from Anuire.