Author Topic: MIRROR - To see the Obelisk of Thenial  (Read 47798 times)

Offline X-Bellam & BC/TB (Bobby)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 33
Re: MIRROR - To see the Obelisk of Thenial
« Reply #150 on: June 04, 2009, 11:06:03 PM »
Yeah - to use an appropriately oceanic metaphor, I think Maire is riding a wave now.  Some upswell of power in the Shadow World responding to her need that she's now semi-directing.  She didn't cause it herself, but she's obliquely responsible for the results since it formed in response to her need, and she's distinctly responsible for her actions in directing and releasing (or not) the souls entrapped by it.

Offline X-DM Jon

• Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Regency: 21
  • Slide
« Reply #151 on: June 04, 2009, 11:07:19 PM »
Sounds plausible. Perhaps it works both ways  ;)

Offline X-Mieres & SAS/AV (Mark)

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Regency: 15
« Reply #152 on: June 04, 2009, 11:41:08 PM »
Oh well - going to bed, and somewhat dreading what I will wake up to find tomorrow...
Every man has a price he will willingly accept, even for what he hoped never to sell. 

Offline X-Osoerde (Alan)

• The Dragon
  • Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Regency: 21
« Reply #153 on: June 05, 2009, 01:47:31 AM »
The Shadow World is not inherently evil - that is too easy a solution.  Instead, like the Daylight World, things are always shaded gray.

Frankly, this whole Maire thing, just makes for a great story, like most things, its ultimate consequences and/or benefits are not known, but I think Libor will have fun finding out.
Yes, wyrmling, the meat is made all the more tender by armor...

Offline X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper)

• Sovereign
  • Regency: 18
  • Pontiff Wallac Isilviere, High Prefect of the IHH
« Reply #154 on: June 05, 2009, 02:19:19 AM »
But ofcause you say that - it was your idea to make use of the old temple as a foci heh heh
His Holiness Wallac Isilviere, Pontiff of All Anuire, High Prefect of the Impregnable Heart of Haelyn

Offline X-EOM/SS (Marco)

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Regency: 4
« Reply #155 on: June 05, 2009, 07:50:19 AM »
I made my move...hope it can help.

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
  • Regency: 51
    • Twilightpeaks.net - Hone of Ruins of Empire
« Reply #156 on: June 05, 2009, 08:45:08 AM »
I think she it trying to tear a hole in the Veil.

Indeed she is. A smallish hole mind you, between this temple and the one on the other side (presumably). Only problem is that SHE cast Shadow Ward on Thenial, which means that only SHE (or those she empowers) can actually pierce the Veil (save the 'lisk obviously - the 'lisk works anyway). Quite the dilemma.
DM Bjørn

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #157 on: June 05, 2009, 08:48:42 AM »
My understanding is, she's trying to release the negative energy of the undead, their suffering and unhappiness, at a point, with the twin intentions of freeing them from undead-ness and weakening the Veil at that location to permit passage.  This assumes two things: First, that doing so will "free" the souls, and second (possibly more important) that she can then control that energy, contain it, and dissipate it afterwards without it hurting anyone. 

Oh, also that channeling all that energy won't have unfortunate repercussions on her own soul in the process.

Three very interesting assumptions, would you not say? Interesting in the sense of what could happen if even one was incorrect...

Long shot? Yes. Interesting? Very much so.
DM Bjørn

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #158 on: June 05, 2009, 08:52:02 AM »
The Shadow World is not inherently evil - that is too easy a solution.  Instead, like the Daylight World, things are always shaded gray.

Frankly, this whole Maire thing, just makes for a great story, like most things, its ultimate consequences and/or benefits are not known, but I think Libor will have fun finding out.

But you do forget that vast tracts of the SW have become corrupted and thus...inherently evil. And as a place of dreams, faerie magic and spirits...there is a lot of room for even well intended actions to be twisted into something dark and vile.

So maybe the SW was a balanced grayish place once...but now it definitely tends toward a dark grey...
DM Bjørn

• Sovereign
« Reply #159 on: June 05, 2009, 08:59:12 AM »

But you do forget that vast tracts of the SW have become corrupted and thus...inherently evil. And as a place of dreams, faerie magic and spirits...there is a lot of room for even well intended actions to be twisted into something dark and vile.

So maybe the SW was a balanced grayish place once...but now it definitely tends toward a dark grey...

Particularly the part "there is a lot of room for even well intended actions to be twisted into something dark and vile." applies here.

To me Maire's well intended actions was twisted into something dark
His Holiness Wallac Isilviere, Pontiff of All Anuire, High Prefect of the Impregnable Heart of Haelyn

• Sovereign
« Reply #160 on: June 05, 2009, 09:37:55 AM »
Libor you may find this worth remembering in your current situation.

"The Eve of the Dead at the end of Emmanir is the principle holy day for the priesthood of Nesirie. On this day they honor the memories of those who have died and comfort those that grieve for them. This ceremony is critical to the Nesirians, for they believe that only through the memories of the living can a spirit find peace and that those who are forgotten after death are easy prey for the power of Shadow. This aspect is weaker in temples which tend mostly to those who make their living from the sea, but not absent - the sea has ever been a dangerous profession"

Offline X-ETN/Maire Cwyllmie (Libor)

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Regency: 12
« Reply #161 on: June 05, 2009, 10:10:05 AM »
Well that is all from me. I will probably not be able to come with anything better.

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #162 on: June 05, 2009, 10:13:38 AM »
Well that is all from me. I will probably not be able to come with anything better.

You've already delivered quite a bit of excellent adventure.
DM Bjørn

• Sovereign
« Reply #163 on: June 05, 2009, 10:23:46 AM »
The High Priestess no longer acting in a way that can be perceived as evil Wallac will try to render her what little help he can.. I'll post something, hopefully usefull, in adventure thread

• Sovereign
« Reply #164 on: June 05, 2009, 10:55:40 AM »
Marco you think ETN still tries to weaken the Veil? I think not but ofcause that may be wishfull thinking.