Author Topic: Mirror: Boer vs. Avan war  (Read 29880 times)

Offline X-Haelyn's Aegis/RK (Andy)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 42
Re: Mirror: Boer vs. Avan war
« Reply #60 on: June 06, 2009, 09:00:50 AM »
Bloody Hell, you miscreants have managed to destroy half of Endier's army.

Next time I will have to come myself to see to my men's well-being.

Now that raises all sorts of theological issues, I wonder what would happen if Brandon complained to the Conclave about partisanship?  We might have to ask the Pontiff to pray for guidance, oh wait....  ;)
Robhan Khaiarén
High Marshal of Haelyn's Aegis
Work hard, walk with honour, be justly rewarded

Offline X-MOC/Leman States (Even)

• Ser Engineer
  • Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 16
  • Patriarch Leman States
« Reply #61 on: June 08, 2009, 09:30:07 AM »
Looking at the updated damage; while the forces might not be ready for battle, there was relatively few units destroyed. A few turns of R&R and they will be ready to fight again, wiser from their recent experiences.
"We are RuinsofEmpire now, and when we act, we create our own reality."

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
  • Regency: 51
    • Twilightpeaks.net - Hone of Ruins of Empire
« Reply #62 on: June 08, 2009, 09:53:52 AM »
When reading my descriptions of battles you'll have to take into account that I'm adding color. So when the giants charge the wing, its a colorful scene, but even with their power attack ability they can't do THAT much damage. And throwing rocks through the mist...that was mostly flavor etc.

Actually this was a far less damaging battle (for both sides) than was the Hill attack, which cost the Avanese/Dieman side a lot of dead an injured.

Besides a unit that is broken has suffered many casualties and will need almost a year of doing nothing before it's battle-ready again...
DM Bjørn

Offline X-Elinie/RiD (Niels)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 19
  • Formerly Star of the East
« Reply #63 on: June 08, 2009, 12:49:31 PM »
On that notion, what is your stance on merging broken units to recover 1 unit faster?

Fx if you have two units of Broken Veteran Armsmen, would you be ok with merging them to have 1 unit of Veteran Armsmen with an appropriate cohesion left? - Fx the sum of the two.

In some situations, such as an ongoing war, merging might be more attractive, even if you do "lose" a unit doing it.
Formerly: His Grace, Patriarch Rashid ibn Daouta, Last Imperial Duke of the Eastern Marches, Duke of Elinie, Master of Sutren Hills, Holy Paladin of Avanalae, Light of Reason.

Offline X-Medoere & RCS/KE (Thorsten)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 22
« Reply #64 on: June 08, 2009, 02:12:06 PM »
I've thought about that. I'm still not certain what I'd prefer.

My suggestion would be that it's a possible answer, but the unit would first of have to be from the same nation (ie. no mixing Roesonians and Avaneese) and also loose a random amount of experience, as people not used to fighting together, are suddenly crammed in the same unit.
(Random as I wouldn't say one entire level of experience, but rather the possibility of being reduced from veteran to skilled by this manouver... perhaps a DC(?) roll like when activating reserves in one action?)

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #65 on: June 08, 2009, 02:43:38 PM »
That is not possible. You cannot merge units.

DM Bjørn

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #66 on: June 08, 2009, 02:47:46 PM »
To clarify:

2 broken units do not one whole unit make...
DM Bjørn

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #67 on: June 08, 2009, 02:54:40 PM »
To clarify:

2 broken units do not one whole unit make...

I think what Niels was suggesting was: 2 Broken units = 1 Exhausted unit. Or 1 Broken + 1 Exhausted = 1 Weary unit etc.

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #68 on: June 08, 2009, 03:04:05 PM »
Lol... These battles are on such a massive scale, that I am employing several aspects to get a grip with it all... and even then it is obvious that I miss some major elements from time to time.

Above my pc I just now used a whiteboard to draw a map of Taeghas, Avanil, Brosengae and the southern part of Boeruine. With magnetic labels I now have the position of every (known) troop movement in the war (Brandon pulled a fast one, once more... and here I was wondering if I'd have a shipload of Boeruines land on the south coast).  ::)

Offline X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper)

• Sovereign
  • Regency: 18
  • Pontiff Wallac Isilviere, High Prefect of the IHH
« Reply #69 on: June 08, 2009, 03:25:18 PM »
Terrific job its much appreciated - afterall you're defending us all  ;D
His Holiness Wallac Isilviere, Pontiff of All Anuire, High Prefect of the Impregnable Heart of Haelyn

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #70 on: June 08, 2009, 04:21:00 PM »
Terrific job its much appreciated - afterall you're defending us all  ;D

I'm pretty sure most of the north west of Anuire would disagree...

In my mind, I picture Brandon Boer reading reports from the last battles. When done, he'll turn to his generals and demand to know why, when taking position on the hill, they had not thought to check the background of enemy commanders and their previous experience with suicidal runs uphill against fortified positions at the break of first light.

He'll then order his archers to shoot at blond-haired paladins at the outset of every battle, to avoid such obviously stupid acts of heroic self-sacrifice in the future, as nothing good could ever come from leading by example in such a way (it's just uncivilized you know).  ::)

Offline X-DM Jon

• Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Regency: 21
  • Slide
« Reply #71 on: June 08, 2009, 04:26:40 PM »
Well, it's all in the eye of the beholder. The east has never really cared much for the Boer-Avan conflict. It's too far away. The Heartlands has always looked to both with unease, seeing as their wars often spill over. Diem used his alliance with Avan to build a strong army able to defeat both Guilder Kalien of Endier and Suris Enlien of Medoere.

One thing is certain, if one defeats the other - and does so soundly - then Anuire could be looking at it's next emperor.

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #72 on: June 08, 2009, 04:37:11 PM »
Well, it's all in the eye of the beholder. The east has never really cared much for the Boer-Avan conflict. It's too far away. The Heartlands has always looked to both with unease, seeing as their wars often spill over. Diem used his alliance with Avan to build a strong army able to defeat both Guilder Kalien of Endier and Suris Enlien of Medoere.

One thing is certain, if one defeats the other - and does so soundly - then Anuire could be looking at it's next emperor.

With the current casualty list (and if they look in any way similar on the other side), the next emperor will be anyone who finds themselves in a strong enough position to invade *both* Avanil and Boeruine when this war is over... by the looks of it, there won't be that much of a standing army to defend either.

Offline X-Ghieste & HOT/GH (Matt)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 38
  • Duke Ghorien Hiriele of Ghieste, Guilder of H/OT
« Reply #73 on: June 08, 2009, 05:22:53 PM »
*whistles innocently in the background while twiddling his thumbs*
His Grace Ghorien Hiriele,
Duke of Ghieste,
Grand-Maester of the Highland/Overland Traders,
Viscount of Whyrthe.