Author Topic: Boer vs. Avan #63  (Read 37994 times)

Offline X-Medoere & RCS/KE (Thorsten)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 22
Re: Boer vs. Avan #63
« Reply #90 on: June 04, 2009, 09:27:15 AM »
With the bridge detachment at hand, and three units of archers now at his disposal, the Diemean wing will be able to advance with supporting indirect fire.

1st echelon right wing
Baron Kaven Enlien (General): Field marshal (i.e. acting battlefield commander)
Duchess Aubrae Avan (how far to the fore does she has to be, to direct her magic?)
Halberdiers Skilled Endier E
Pikes Diemed Mercs W
Pikes Veteran Roesone W
Pikes Skilled Endier E
Lion Armsmen 2nd Ghieste Mercs W
Lion Regular 5th Ghieste Mercs W
Crossbowmen Skilled Endier E
Lion Crossbows 1st Ghieste Merc E
Lion Crossbows 2nd Ghieste Merc E

2nd echelon right wing

Archers Veteran Medoere OK
Archers Diemed Mercs W
Archers Diemed Mercs W
Regulars Diemed Mercs E
Lion Armsmen 1st Ghieste Mercs E
Lion Regular 2nd Ghieste Mercs E
Lion Regular 3rd Ghieste Mercs E
Lion Regular 6th Ghieste Mercs E

Reserve:
Lion Mt. Armsmen Ghieste Mercs B
Swordsmen Veteran Roesoen E
Regulars Green Diemed E

Offline X-Ghieste & HOT/GH (Matt)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 38
  • Duke Ghorien Hiriele of Ghieste, Guilder of H/OT
« Reply #91 on: June 04, 2009, 09:31:18 AM »
At the castle gate Maelcom dismounts and steps up to the hatch.

"My Lord, I understand how delicate your position must have felt all through this battle. I understand how watching the ebb and flow of the battle must have felt while all the time you were safe inside your walls knowing that stepping past this stone arch would leave your men, your fortification and your own person exposed to serious harm. So let me explain something to you, before this goes very wrong. Your Prince is going to win the day, of that you can be sure. And when he wins the day he is going to come to this gate and he is going to want to see you, your family, your men. Now if I were you, and I think I understand how you feel about this kind of thing, then I would want him to be seeing me and praising me for my essential part in the battle, for the way in which I saved the day and at the key moment crushed the enemy."

And now with a serious look.

"Because if I was the good Prince and I had to attend to your gate after you had failed to keep your oath then I would pour all the fury of the battlefield, of the deaths of my men, of the risk you caused to my realm into you. And I have a feeling neither you nor I would wish the result of that. So let's get this gate open, raise the colours I have with me, and even that may cause the enemy to quiver and quake, putting their tail between their legs as they run back to their God forsaken West."
His Grace Ghorien Hiriele,
Duke of Ghieste,
Grand-Maester of the Highland/Overland Traders,
Viscount of Whyrthe.
Down Right Evil Bastard!

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
  • Regency: 51
    • Twilightpeaks.net - Hone of Ruins of Empire
« Reply #92 on: June 04, 2009, 09:36:21 AM »
The battle is rejoined:

As the lines march towards each other the Boer left flank suddenly lose heart...perhaps because this part of the army is made up by Brosen soldiers...or does the regal woman sitting atop her white horse have something to do with it? She seems lost in though, even as arrows race towards her...but miraculously they all miss. Several units throw down their weapons and flee! A great cheer erupts from the throats of Enlien's men and they surge forward, crashing into the Boer line.

At the same time the Avanese cavalry sweeps around the flank charging straight at the weakened and exposed men of Brosengae...when disaster strikes. Lighting flashes soundlessly half a dozen times, each striking at the heart of a proud unit of Anuirean horse, and with each strike men and horses by the dozen are tossed skywards like broken toys. The day IS overcast, but there is no storm...and where there is lighting there should be thunder, should there not be? The cavalry charge falters...and then turns into a rout, as the terrified survivors flee for their lives.

The Boer army gives a great cheer, as if they had been expecting this, and then they push forward!
DM Bjørn

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #93 on: June 04, 2009, 09:37:41 AM »
At the castle gate Maelcom dismounts and steps up to the hatch.

"My Lord, I understand how delicate your position must have felt all through this battle. I understand how watching the ebb and flow of the battle must have felt while all the time you were safe inside your walls knowing that stepping past this stone arch would leave your men, your fortification and your own person exposed to serious harm. So let me explain something to you, before this goes very wrong. Your Prince is going to win the day, of that you can be sure. And when he wins the day he is going to come to this gate and he is going to want to see you, your family, your men. Now if I were you, and I think I understand how you feel about this kind of thing, then I would want him to be seeing me and praising me for my essential part in the battle, for the way in which I saved the day and at the key moment crushed the enemy."

And now with a serious look.

"Because if I was the good Prince and I had to attend to your gate after you had failed to keep your oath then I would pour all the fury of the battlefield, of the deaths of my men, of the risk you caused to my realm into you. And I have a feeling neither you nor I would wish the result of that. So let's get this gate open, raise the colours I have with me, and even that may cause the enemy to quiver and quake, putting their tail between their legs as they run back to their God forsaken West."

He blinks only once and then something breaks inside.

"The men are assembled. Five hundred horse and a thousand foot. Open the damned gates. Carrida goes to war!"
DM Bjørn

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #94 on: June 04, 2009, 09:39:09 AM »
The Boer left has been stiffened by Baron Bacaele and his own guards, and is showing no sign of giving. Elsewhere along the line there is movement only in the center - the Westerners are pushing their way forward, while Avan is forced to give ground.
DM Bjørn

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #95 on: June 04, 2009, 09:39:42 AM »
An enormous and very satisfied smile breaks across Maelcom's face. The dogs of war are loose now and he would have it no other way.

"Havoc! Havoc! HAVOC!"
Duke of Ghieste,
Viscount of Whyrthe.
Down Right Evil Bastard!

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #96 on: June 04, 2009, 09:45:11 AM »
His fist clenching around the grip of his sword, Kaven eyes the standard of Bacaele.
"Push for the standard! By the grace of Haelyn I want that man stopped, before he turns our flank!"

Looking back, making certain the Duchess is protected adequatly, Kaven leads the men forward, his hardened stepping up to assist him as he presses on the enemy general.

"Lord Baron Bacaele!" He shouts in a hoarse voice. "I am Kaven Enlien, Baron of Medoere, High-Priest of the Celestial Spell and a faithful Paladin of Haelyn. Face me, Ser, or have your men know you as a curr!"

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #97 on: June 04, 2009, 10:39:53 AM »
Hearing such a challenge over the roar of a thousand voices is no easy task, nor would it be practical over the press of so many bodies...

...but be that as it may; the men at the forefront of the right are suddenly overtaken by battle-fever, abandoning all reason and concern for self in their eagerness to get to grips with the enemy. Immediately scores of Brosen warriors go down, and the right pushes right forward to the armsmen of Bacaele - with their heavy armor, shields and spears they appear an impenetrable wall. But the right no longer care, and flow forward, to be impaled or hacked down in great numbers. What madness is this!?

DM Bjørn

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #98 on: June 04, 2009, 10:44:51 AM »
With the forces of the Caer now deployed Maelcom quickly views the field. It is obvious they will be watching for a sally and from the Southern Gate there is only one option. Marching for the siege works closest to the battle is what must be done, if only to scare the enemy and strip their rear ranks of depth and energy. Banners held high, trumpet and drum sounding, another army on it's way to battle, fresh compared to those who have fought so long.
Duke of Ghieste,
Viscount of Whyrthe.
Down Right Evil Bastard!

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #99 on: June 04, 2009, 10:56:31 AM »
Great dark clouds billow down from the heavens, all the way to the ground, only a few hundred yards north of the battle lines...many warriors who see this pause to look, for this is unlike anything they have ever witnesses...and the reek of sorcery is heavy now.

From the clouds ten towering shapes step forth, looking like men, only towering near 20 feet tall and made from cloud-stuff. Each wears a thick brynie and carries a tower-shield...and wields axe, mace or morning-star. They attack at a run, formed like a spear-head, covering the ground in great strides, their forms partially obscured by clouds and mist. A few arrows shoot out, and one Ilienese ballista actually manages to hit - and kill - one of the giants. But the other nine hit the Avanese in the right flank, hurling men left and right. In minutes the right is in full flight, despite Enlien's best efforts to keep things together. It is hard to see the details, with clouds and mist creeping down from the north, obscuring vision...
DM Bjørn

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #100 on: June 04, 2009, 11:00:07 AM »
Kaven attempts to stay close to the Duchess, his own bodyguard (what is left of it) forming up around both as they withdraw in the confusion, seeking allied forces to help recover and press forward.

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #101 on: June 04, 2009, 11:02:32 AM »
Kaven attempts to stay close to the Duchess, his own bodyguard (what is left of it) forming up around both as they withdraw in the confusion, seeking allied forces to help recover and press forward.

Kaven has a moment of clarity - this is what the enemy wizard has been waiting for all along; for Aubrae to reveal her presence. Undoubtedly the giants have only one target - her!
DM Bjørn

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #102 on: June 04, 2009, 11:14:21 AM »
Aubrae seems lost in though, probably preparing another spell, and seems oblivious to the commotion around her. A giant wielding a spiked flail appears out of the mist, towering above the Avanese warriors. A few do not flee, facing the giant in a display of insane bravery. The giant crushes one with a heavy foot and sweeps away two more with its weapon, before leaping high into the air...gliding along a cloud like it was solid ground, raising its weapon once more to end the Duchess' life...
DM Bjørn

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #103 on: June 04, 2009, 11:22:22 AM »
"Mylady, look out!" Kaven shouts, grabbing Aubrae by her shoulders. With a grunt of exertion her throws her to his right, as he himself rolls left, attempting to dodge the impact from the massive weapon and it's wielder.

A few arrows fly towards the creature from the archers somewhat behind him, as Kaven regains his barings, his shield lost in the roll.

"Protect the Duchess!" He bawls, as he charges headlong towards the creature, eying the giant flail, ready to duck or roll again. Several knights and soldiers begins to gain momentum by his side, also intent on stopping the beast, or rescuing the damsel in distress.

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #104 on: June 04, 2009, 11:36:32 AM »
Stripping the Lancers off from the infantry Maelcom lets the Pikes and Halberd go into the flank of the Westerners under the command of their Baron while the cavalry he takes behind the battle, along the lines, striving to hit the enemy where it will hurt the most and stab those giant figures from tearing the army to pieces. Hard to the neck of his steed he drives his men forwards hoping that they will get there in time.
Duke of Ghieste,
Viscount of Whyrthe.
Down Right Evil Bastard!