Author Topic: Agitate - Realm action example  (Read 5252 times)

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
  • Regency: 51
    • Twilightpeaks.net - Hone of Ruins of Empire
Agitate - Realm action example
« on: March 17, 2010, 11:04:36 AM »
Agitate has a base DDC of 10 + Province level

Let's assume a province 6. That's DDC 16. Assuming no-one bad uses hardiness to up the DDC that's it! DDC 16.

Lets assume max advantage, that's +6 DAC.

Already you can take 10 and auto-succeed! And if you're a priest - or sorcerer - and use your bonus action...that's a free auto-success EVERY turn.

Of course, Agitate is special in that high (and low!) prosperity turns into an action penalty...but that's only going to be a couple of points.

So if you care to throw in an action description and maybe do a supportive adventure you get another +2 to +4 bonus to offset this.

But for some reason there is VERY little agitation out there...priests seem almost allergic to it.
DM Bjørn

Offline X-Elinie/RiD (Niels)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 19
  • Formerly Star of the East
Re: Agitate - Realm action example
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 12:05:17 PM »
I dare say, that in many cases, it would be cheaper for them to Agitate than Bless. - And permanent to boot!
Formerly: His Grace, Patriarch Rashid ibn Daouta, Last Imperial Duke of the Eastern Marches, Duke of Elinie, Master of Sutren Hills, Holy Paladin of Avanalae, Light of Reason.

Offline X-Bellam & BC/TB (Bobby)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 33
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 02:09:30 PM »
And if you can't get at least +4 to Agitate within an area you're heavily invested in, something is terribly wrong.

Offline X-MOC/Leman States (Even)

• Ser Engineer
  • Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 16
  • Patriarch Leman States
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 02:10:33 PM »
Except that it uses up one of your precious regent actions. Usually much better things to use those for.
"We are RuinsofEmpire now, and when we act, we create our own reality."

Offline X-Medoere & RCS/KE (Thorsten)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 22
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 02:19:16 PM »
Indeed. Agitating increases in difficulty if you attempt several provinces. Bless does not. I can see why it would be better in the long run to agitate your provinces (and *then* bless) but it is simply too time demanding to do it one province at a time, and has an increased likelihood of failure if you do several in one go.

Besides, agitate doesn't give the same immediate benefits a bless spell might and certainly not over such a broad spectrum.

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010, 02:20:33 PM »
Indeed. Agitating increases in difficulty if you attempt several provinces. Bless does not. I can see why it would be better in the long run to agitate your provinces (and *then* bless) but it is simply too time demanding to do it one province at a time, and has an increased likelihood of failure if you do several in one go.

Besides, agitate doesn't give the same immediate benefits a bless spell might and certainly not over such a broad spectrum.

Agitate should be used regularly over time...having that +2 instead of -2 prosperity will make a big difference over a long game.
DM Bjørn

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2010, 02:21:07 PM »
Except that it uses up one of your precious regent actions. Usually much better things to use those for.

Like c quarreling/diplomacy and going on heroic adventures?
DM Bjørn

Offline X-MOC/Leman States (Even)

• Ser Engineer
  • Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 16
  • Patriarch Leman States
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2010, 02:24:31 PM »

Indeed, Bless the Holy Land is overpoweringly broken and need to be nerfed.  :-X
"We are RuinsofEmpire now, and when we act, we create our own reality."

Offline X-Medoere & RCS/KE (Thorsten)

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2010, 02:31:01 PM »

Agitate should be used regularly over time...having that +2 instead of -2 prosperity will make a big difference over a long game.

Yes, I imagine bless is a wonderful thing to make content people happy, but a poor tool to make angry people content.

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2010, 02:46:46 PM »

Indeed, Bless the Holy Land is overpoweringly broken and need to be nerfed.  :-X

Nooo...it's already BEEN nerfed :-P
DM Bjørn

Offline X-Tornilen/SM (Alexander)

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Duchess Marya Tanar
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2010, 02:52:16 PM »
Why Agitate isn't used that often, all imo ofc:
The rules are unclearly written (some confusion regarding how temporary boosts to prosperity works)
There are extra rules for failure (failing by 10 leads to prosperity decrease)

Btw, this example isn't all that useful...
It doesn't go into holding advantage permutations (which is where a lot of players get lost, after what I've seen)
It says "realm action" when it's a regent action (only affects one province)
It does not take current prosperity into account.
It does not take blessings etc into account.

I am NOT trying to be obstructive here, but if you want the example to illustrate how it's done, it needs to be more useful.

That being said, I plan on agitating heavily each turn from now on, until all my provinces hit prosperity +2 / 9, though that is something that has been planned for a while.
Marya Tanar, The Sword Mage
Duchess and Mage of Tornilen

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2010, 03:32:39 PM »
OK,

Hopefully the new description will make it easier to understand. I've also made it slightly better for higher MoS; to make it attractive to really push for one excellent agitate on occasion.
DM Bjørn

Offline X-Haelyn's Aegis/RK (Andy)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 42
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2010, 10:16:09 PM »
The main reason I haven't blessed much is lack of actions - I always need 3 or 4 more than I have.  Also, while agitate benefits every regent in the area, no-one else seems interested in 'encouraging it' making it relatively expensive for the priest (the reason I think why bthl is so 'cheap' - it helps other local regents not just the priest, indeed often the priest gains less than other regents).

If I wasn't using a wage war action almost every round I'd be blessing more with my free action, and once my chapels are up will certainly strive to do so, leaving wage war to a looey.  Its taken a while though to get advantage and taking an action for a 50:50 chance of benefiting someone else seems wasteful when I'm struggling to take a single action to benefit the Aegis each round...
Robhan Khaiarén
High Marshal of Haelyn's Aegis
Work hard, walk with honour, be justly rewarded

Offline X-ETN/Maire Cwyllmie (Libor)

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Regency: 12
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2010, 10:46:33 AM »
Its taken a while though to get advantage and taking an action for a 50:50 chance of benefiting someone else seems wasteful when I'm struggling to take a single action to benefit the Aegis each round...

Especially when you just blew 2 actions to save that troublesome woman, who has NO RESPECT for rules and traditions  ;)  Well HA is of CG alingment after all so ...

Offline X-Haelyn's Aegis/RK (Andy)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 42
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2010, 10:42:16 PM »
Its taken a while though to get advantage and taking an action for a 50:50 chance of benefiting someone else seems wasteful when I'm struggling to take a single action to benefit the Aegis each round...

Especially when you just blew 2 actions to save that troublesome woman, who has NO RESPECT for rules and traditions  ;)  Well HA is of CG alingment after all so ...

Being a sap is somewhat mandatory for a paladin, at least when it concerns a beautiful women (innocence doesn't really come into the being a sap part, merely the outcome).
Robhan Khaiarén
High Marshal of Haelyn's Aegis
Work hard, walk with honour, be justly rewarded