Author Topic: Construction/fortify - Action type  (Read 10945 times)

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
  • Regency: 51
    • Twilightpeaks.net - Hone of Ruins of Empire
Construction/fortify - Action type
« on: June 07, 2009, 09:42:46 PM »
The Construction/fortify actions will from now on require court actions all the way; i.e. will never be a free action. Major construction projects demand some attention from the domain.

This also fixes a problem where one domain might engage in a huge number of projects (which was never the intention).
DM Bjørn

Offline X-Points East

• Grand-Maester of the P&H
  • Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 15
Re: Construction/fortify - Action type
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 09:57:54 PM »

The Construction/fortify actions will from now on require court actions all the way; i.e. will never be a free action. Major construction projects demand some attention from the domain.

This also fixes a problem where one domain might engage in a huge number of projects (which was never the intention).

OoC:  Does the court action requirement apply to Commission Ship, as well?

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 10:14:01 PM »
Possibly. Comments?

(perhaps your shipyard structures could make some commission actions free actions each turn?)
DM Bjørn

Offline X-Points East

• Grand-Maester of the P&H
  • Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 15
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 10:23:42 PM »

OoC:  Can Fortify still be taken as a free action within the context of Wage War?

Offline X-DM Jon

• Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Regency: 21
  • Slide
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 12:03:43 AM »

OoC:  Can Fortify still be taken as a free action within the context of Wage War?

Yes. Unless Fortify is changed into a court action, the standard rules still apply. I believe Bjørn's statement is directed towards removing the old rule that a construction once started only requires free actions to continue.

Offline X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper)

• Sovereign
  • Regency: 18
  • Pontiff Wallac Isilviere, High Prefect of the IHH
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 12:44:32 AM »

Perhaps handle it similar to advisor action - first advisor action is free and similarly the first construction action is free (costing no court action).

Thus no domain engage in a huge number of projects
His Holiness Wallac Isilviere, Pontiff of All Anuire, High Prefect of the Impregnable Heart of Haelyn

Offline X-Mhoried/Droene Kavarra (Iasonas)

• Former players
  • Scion
  • Regency: 3
  • The Mhor, Droene Kavarra
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2009, 01:01:29 AM »

Perhaps handle it similar to advisor action - first advisor action is free and similarly the first construction action is free (costing no court action).

Thus no domain engage in a huge number of projects

What exactly do you mean by first action? First construction action of a series of construction actions in the same turn, or First construction action in a project?

Either way I am inclined to agree with Bjorn. I always support simplicity, and I can see no apparent reason for construction actions not to demand significant attention.

Unless of course the regent delegates to a trusted lieutenant, with some skill in constructions. This would however complicate things without adding significant flavor in the game.

At least that is the way I see things :)
Droene Kavarra.
The Mhor.
The land is inherited,
The respect is earned.

• Sovereign
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2009, 06:40:05 AM »
I mean each season the first construction action is a free action (paying only the 3 BG for the actual building).

If not the price for all buildings jumped 33% up (as one court action cost 1 GB)

Doing it like this I suggest to lower prices of all building with 20 or more percent (assuming price is now effectively 4 GB each turn vs earlier 3 GB straight)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 10:36:10 AM by IHH/Pontiff Wallac Isilviere (Kasper) »
His Holiness Wallac Isilviere, Pontiff of All Anuire, High Prefect of the Impregnable Heart of Haelyn

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2009, 07:49:43 AM »
Fortify is henceforth a Court action (i.e. cannot be used in conjunction with Wage War)
DM Bjørn

• Sovereign
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2009, 11:34:58 PM »
Please elaborate a bit; I am currently building an embassy in Anuire city - that will now, besides the original court action taken to start building, require 1 court action every season to continue being build?

Furthermore I am correct that this is to prevent massproduction of constructions only to be "sold" by the constructor upon being finished yes? If so making each domain able to making one construction action every season as a free action limited in it still requires one court action to start a building, makes for things to work as they do now but prevent massconstructions for free

Offline X-Haelyn's Aegis/RK (Andy)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 42
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2009, 11:35:52 PM »
I mean each season the first construction action is a free action (paying only the 3 BG for the actual building).

If not the price for all buildings jumped 33% up (as one court action cost 1 GB)

Doing it like this I suggest to lower prices of all building with 20 or more percent (assuming price is now effectively 4 GB each turn vs earlier 3 GB straight)

I think that the 1 GB cost of the court action is not an issue - the cost is just the 3 GB spent on the construction which already includes any administration required, but whereas formerly a L4 court could theoretically be building a dozen projects at once and still have 4 court actions left to play with, now it will have to assign court actions to construction projects, and only be able to progress 4 projects at any given time.

Although given I completely misread the rules last time I read about construction, so maybe not  :-\
Robhan Khaiarén
High Marshal of Haelyn's Aegis
Work hard, walk with honour, be justly rewarded

• Sovereign
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2009, 11:49:04 PM »
I base my 4 GB price on assuming you still need those court actions for whatever you do with them you will have to raise court by 1 to build one thing, instead of using only 1 court action to begin the project.

Personnally my court actions where allready spoken of before the rule change; I had 1 to spare to start it but I dont have the next 3 court actions (and that was BEFORE my sinister regent, Wallac, got himself out of favour with the big boss. That will likely cost some court actions (and I guess adventure and regent actions)

Offline X-MOC/Leman States (Even)

• Ser Engineer
  • Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 16
  • Patriarch Leman States
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2009, 03:02:28 PM »
With the additional actions becoming court actions, perhaps it would be worth looking at readjusting the number of court actions available to a domain. Perhaps 1.5 times the Court expenditure. Or a combination of Court and Domain expenses? Court plus 50% Domain gives number of actions, but Court cost still determines Court action modifier.
"We are RuinsofEmpire now, and when we act, we create our own reality."

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2009, 08:57:45 AM »
The idea about domain + court warrants a closer look. I'll take it into consideration.

Anyway, the idea is to make court actions more valuable, so I'm not sure its the way I want to go.
DM Bjørn

Offline X-MOC/Leman States (Even)

• Ser Engineer
  • Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 16
  • Patriarch Leman States
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2009, 11:48:26 AM »
Not sure if this has been discussed before, but one idea I like is to make the current Regent actions require both a Character action and a Court action. This allows it to represent the efforts of a combined domain, rather then the current system where a regent can perform three actions without any assistance.

This makes a reasonable court more of a requirement for even moderately sized domains. Perhaps more interesting is the possibility for character focused domains to not pay too much attention to their court. This would apply to Wizards and for Adventure eager domains such as the Wardens. Similarly Vassals with a limited (or non-existent) court would be limited to supporting their liege with character actions, rather than spamming with a huge number of regent actions.

This does of course change the actions system quite drastically, and the cost of court/domain upkeep will have to be balanced against action costs. Perhaps the standard 1GB action cost would be considered to be included in the continuing upkeep. It would also be possible to differentiate between actions requiring more effort, thus taking more than one action. Getting down the path of Action Points here, so I'll stop rambling before I get to carried away.
"We are RuinsofEmpire now, and when we act, we create our own reality."