Author Topic: Prelude: Cadian Dawn (IC)  (Read 28710 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Ohlaak (Alan)

  • RoE3 (Rjurik)
  • Sovereign
  • ******
  • Posts: 1.482
  • Regency: 3
  • The Dragon
Re: Prelude: Cadian Dawn (IC)
« Reply #60 on: October 20, 2013, 03:33:58 pm »
...Expanding his mind again, he augments the feeling of doubt among those in range. Some soldiers stop for a second, before they shrug it off and continue, while others halt, clearly conflicted. And some starts to withdraw towards their base.

And those who do not heed their doubt, surely heed their terror.

Nouri takes the field as a immaterial ghostly apparition of awesome glory. The Shadow servitors take the field seconds later; screams reverberate throughout the local immaterium moments later as the Shadows tear through some of the attacking host visibly dragging their very souls into the darkness to be fed upon.  With the dark sacrifice now complete, that Shadows are given even greater substance. Nouri is almost overcome by the exhilaration of these kills - no not the kill - but rather the promise of more to come. 

The Immaterium calls out its seductions, yet Nouri is a Chaos Sorcerer, he shall not easily lose his way. He throws up his hands and ghostly chains spring forth to wrap around the necks of the Shadows.  And like a dark puppeteer, Nouri directs his marionettes upon the attacking host leaving nothing but desiccated husks in his wake.  Yet, the Ruinous Powers are not without their mercies, for in this moment those who can find faith find Nouri not as an executioner, but as salvation incarnate. And those who accept become marked as belong to the Cabal.

More men flee before the Chaos Sorcerer, as Gaius' doubt seeps further into their minds and takes root for this is no longer a battle meant for mere men. 
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 03:37:48 pm by Ohlaak (Alan) »

Offline LordPsycho

  • Champion of Chaos
  • Scion
  • ***
  • Posts: 102
  • Regency: 6
  • Gender: Male
  • Let the galaxy burn. Let the heavens bleed.
Re: Prelude: Cadian Dawn (IC)
« Reply #61 on: October 20, 2013, 10:15:32 pm »
Thank you, Inquisitor.  Judging by your sentiments I would guess that you are as eager to find a way of this 'cursed planet' as I, and I believe that in that cause we might be of use to one another."

"Great. Victory can not be achieved by acting alone. Cooperation is the key. Cadia is condemned, but Imperials are still fighting. We must all unite against our enemies. Did you already find allies near the ship ? And did you learn to who belong this ship ?"
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 10:26:43 pm by LordPsycho »
"Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a thousand battles without disaster." Sun Tzu

"No campaign plan survives first contact with the enemy" C. von Clausewitz

"You are a ghost, a figure that stands between light and dark, trapped amid the grey." Malcador the Sigillite

Offline Dragon Lord

  • Champion of Chaos
  • Scion
  • ***
  • Posts: 115
  • Regency: 6
Re: Prelude: Cadian Dawn (IC)
« Reply #62 on: October 21, 2013, 12:18:44 am »
Quote
Victory can not be achieved by acting alone.
"My sentiments exactly"

Quote
Did you already find allies near the ship ?
We are working with a group led by a Space Wolf by the name of Hrothgar, I will notify him of our meeting so that you may speak to him later.  There are also other groups in the area, but we have not yet had any friendly contact.  I presume that aside from your man Usher and his squad the rest of your force is still in Hemshin?  Do you have a good vantage point from which to observe the ship?

Quote
And did you learn to who belong this ship ?
We do not know the name of the captain, however we have seen at least one Chaos Space Marine bearing the heraldry of the Emperor's Children patrolling amongst the repair teams.

[OOC: That probably about wraps up the conversation between Azrael and Maegon, so now we can get back in chronological order! ;D]

Offline LordPsycho

  • Champion of Chaos
  • Scion
  • ***
  • Posts: 102
  • Regency: 6
  • Gender: Male
  • Let the galaxy burn. Let the heavens bleed.
Re: Prelude: Cadian Dawn (IC)
« Reply #63 on: October 21, 2013, 11:06:23 am »
Maegon ponders his response.

"Space Wolf are brave warriors, with impressive ferocity. Their support will be invaluable.
On the other hand, Emperor's Children are wicked warriors, capable of the worst abominations.
In all cases, only Space Marines are so well placed to fight other Space Marines."

Fratricide war, ten thousand years old......
Loyalists versus traitors...
Mechanicus versus Dark Mechanicus...
Ordos versus Ordos, Puritains versus Radicals versus other Radicals versus the whole Galaxy...


"Moreover, I am concerned about the corruption that this ship has surely sustained... The crew, the structure, the machine spirit... In addition to mechanical repairs, the purge may be long."
"Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a thousand battles without disaster." Sun Tzu

"No campaign plan survives first contact with the enemy" C. von Clausewitz

"You are a ghost, a figure that stands between light and dark, trapped amid the grey." Malcador the Sigillite

Offline Lurk Skywalker

  • Senior Lurker
  • Champion of Chaos
  • Scion
  • ***
  • Posts: 124
  • Regency: 4
  • Gender: Male
Re: Prelude: Cadian Dawn (IC)
« Reply #64 on: October 21, 2013, 12:32:06 pm »
The Lector and his various followers witness the assault on the crippled vessels. The Marines remain on high alert. Single or isolated elements drifting close to them will be eliminated swiftly and ruthlessly, otherwise they remain aloof from the ongoing assault.

After the assault is well underway, Roldar starts approaching again stealthily the vessel in search of any breaches in the perimeter that could be exploited to try to enter it through one of the hull's breaches.

Offline DM B

  • Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
  • *
  • Posts: 5.210
  • Regency: 51
  • Gender: Male
    • Twilightpeaks.net - Hone of Ruins of Empire
Re: Prelude: Cadian Dawn (IC)
« Reply #65 on: October 21, 2013, 02:16:37 pm »
The Lector and his various followers witness the assault on the crippled vessels. The Marines remain on high alert. Single or isolated elements drifting close to them will be eliminated swiftly and ruthlessly, otherwise they remain aloof from the ongoing assault.

After the assault is well underway, Roldar starts approaching again stealthily the vessel in search of any breaches in the perimeter that could be exploited to try to enter it through one of the hull's breaches.


The attack has already begun to falter. A bit surprising in fact, since it looked like the attackers might actually make it all the way inside the ship. Instead they are behaving very unprofessionally and a general rout is close at hand.

There are a couple of options for getting in:

A) Take the same way the attackers did - move through the ruins and onto the bow of the vessel, looking for a way in.
B) On the ground; go for the main entrance ramp. It's fairly well defended though, but you should be able to punch through.
C) Your Marine squad could make assault jumps and land on top of the vessel, then effect entrance through one of the major hull ruptures. Also risky because a vigilant enemy might have time to fire defensive turrets at you. Scouts also cannot go - they have no jump capability.
DM Bjørn

Offline Lurk Skywalker

  • Senior Lurker
  • Champion of Chaos
  • Scion
  • ***
  • Posts: 124
  • Regency: 4
  • Gender: Male
Re: Prelude: Cadian Dawn (IC)
« Reply #66 on: October 21, 2013, 03:36:05 pm »
The Scouts and the ragtag host, commanded by Roldar, are ordered to move swiftly and they start firing into the disorderly retreat of the assailants in an attempt to turn them back on the defenders and thus increase the level of confusion for a few minutes, in order to provide some cover for the Lector and his Marines, after a final check of their dwindling supplies, to proceed with jump assaults.

The Lector and Locum Lector direct the assault in person. The Lector Locum, whom training as an aspirant Librarian was shortened by the downfall of the Chapter, raises his fledgling mental barriers and probe, slightly aware of the tentacles of the Phoenician's spawn and also of some psykers and other Warp-twisted abominations.

Weapons at the ready, the Marines start scouting for some nearby turrets and vents to be disabled, before turning their attention to a promising enough breach in the hulk.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 03:41:22 pm by Lurk Skywalker »

Offline DM B

  • Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
  • *
  • Posts: 5.210
  • Regency: 51
  • Gender: Male
    • Twilightpeaks.net - Hone of Ruins of Empire
Re: Prelude: Cadian Dawn (IC)
« Reply #67 on: October 21, 2013, 08:08:13 pm »
The Scouts and the ragtag host, commanded by Roldar, are ordered to move swiftly and they start firing into the disorderly retreat of the assailants in an attempt to turn them back on the defenders and thus increase the level of confusion for a few minutes, in order to provide some cover for the Lector and his Marines, after a final check of their dwindling supplies, to proceed with jump assaults.

The Lector and Locum Lector direct the assault in person. The Lector Locum, whom training as an aspirant Librarian was shortened by the downfall of the Chapter, raises his fledgling mental barriers and probe, slightly aware of the tentacles of the Phoenician's spawn and also of some psykers and other Warp-twisted abominations.

Weapons at the ready, the Marines start scouting for some nearby turrets and vents to be disabled, before turning their attention to a promising enough breach in the hulk.

The scouts contribute greatly toward the sudden collapse of the enemy's morale and the subsequent rout/slaughter. One scout reports seeing 'fleeting shapes, like daemons made of shadow'. You lose 5 men from your new 'recruits', but no scouts.

The jump assault goes reasonably well: One Marine is forced to abort due to technical issues and another jump unit shuts down in mid-flight, causing the Marine to plummet to the ground. The aborted Marine teams up with the scouts instead, but the crash victim sustains serious injury and is immobilized.

With 10 Marines you swiftly disable a nearby turret, dispatch a handful of crewmen and penetrate into the voidship. Five minutes later your group has expended five hundred bolter shells (2/3 of your remaining reserve) and butchered more than eighty determined defenders. You've yet to lose a man, but several marines are injured and more are experiencing armour breaches. One more major engagement and you risk running out of ammo and losing marines.

You are now in command of the ships central spine corridor, enabling you to move swiftly to all major ship's sections. On such a small vessel there are only two sections you need to worry about; the command module and the enginarium. You've yet to see the Emperor's Child - thus far the enemy has been a varied mix of humans, mutants, aliens - all of them twisted and misshapen in various ways.

What to do?
DM Bjørn

Offline DM B

  • Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
  • *
  • Posts: 5.210
  • Regency: 51
  • Gender: Male
    • Twilightpeaks.net - Hone of Ruins of Empire
Re: Prelude: Cadian Dawn (IC)
« Reply #68 on: October 21, 2013, 08:15:11 pm »
Massed bolter fire cuts through the dark night: Heavy calibre hyper-explosive mass-reactive rounds punch through armour and flesh with equal ease - then low up their targets from the inside. In the span of a few minutes the enemy assault has turned from determined attack into a massacre.

Bright streaks of light light up the night sky as a squad of Adeptus Astartes launches out of the ruins and onto the voidship - one is shot down in midair and hits the ground hard - the rest land safely on the ship's hull and moments later they've battled their way inside...the cacophony of bolter fire becomes a muddled groan as the Marines work their way deeper inside the hull...
DM Bjørn

Offline DM B

  • Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
  • *
  • Posts: 5.210
  • Regency: 51
  • Gender: Male
    • Twilightpeaks.net - Hone of Ruins of Empire
Re: Prelude: Cadian Dawn (IC)
« Reply #69 on: October 21, 2013, 08:19:11 pm »
@Maegon: Does the Inquisitor continue his climb after finishing the conversation with Azrael?
DM Bjørn

Offline Lurk Skywalker

  • Senior Lurker
  • Champion of Chaos
  • Scion
  • ***
  • Posts: 124
  • Regency: 4
  • Gender: Male
Re: Prelude: Cadian Dawn (IC)
« Reply #70 on: October 21, 2013, 09:01:00 pm »
After the furry of the onslaught quietens down and the Marines have established their initial perimeter, the Lector turns to his second in command, the aspirant Librarian:

"Locum Lector, do you sense any further presences in our vicinity? We will not withstand another encounter like this one, and we also need to resupply before we can make a move and see what awaits us in the dark bowels of this twisted ship."

Turning to his men, while his lieutenant considers his orders, he barks:

"Astartes, get whatever supplies you can use from these and stand ready to move at my command. We will move in pairs no one is to wander on his own through this thing. Keep your eyes open and your hearts of iron. The Chapter will prevail." concludes the Lector.

----

Outside, Roldar his Scouts and other riffraff followers withdraw to allow the failed assailants to scatter. Puzzled as he might be Roldar regroups his men and starts hunting for supplies left behind, while three Scouts are dispatched to try and recover their fallen comrade under the expected cover of darkness.

Offline Dragon Lord

  • Champion of Chaos
  • Scion
  • ***
  • Posts: 115
  • Regency: 6
Re: Prelude: Cadian Dawn (IC)
« Reply #71 on: October 21, 2013, 09:41:28 pm »
Quote
"Moreover, I am concerned about the corruption that this ship has surely sustained... The crew, the structure, the machine spirit... In addition to mechanical repairs, the purge may be long."

"Indeed, though I am not so worried about the ship itself.  From external appearances at least it does not appear that corruption has soaked too deeply into it."



After concluding with Maegon, Azrael informed Hrothgar of the substance of their conversation, allowing the two of them to discuss things themselves at their leisure later.  He also told Usher that he and his men were free to go, but were also welcome to remain with the Nar-Ghosts if they wished.

Derryck also then mentioned the location where he had sensed watchers to Azrael and they discussed investigating it the next day. [OOC: won't happen now]



Some time later Lukas, who was observing the ship and it's surroundings, radioed in to say that there was a large group moving through the ruins at the bow of the ship, presumably intent on attacking it.  The group seemed large enough that it posed a real threat to the ship.  Azrael considered the situation for a moment and then decided that allowing the assailants to attack the ship and cause some casualties to the defenders, before then providing support to the defenders and 'rescuing' them might be a way to enable them to get onto the ship without having to fight their way through the crew.  He contacted Hrothgar and Maegon to inform them of his plan and then instructed those of the Nar-Ghosts who were capable as snipers to get into observation positions, and assist Lukas in taking out any of the defenders who seemed to be a leader (especially that Emperor's Child if he appeared), while the rest were to move under cover closer to the ship.



Lukas picked out a few targets while the others were getting into position, moving silently between firing positions so that it seemed there were many more snipers, and making it difficult for anyone who might try to return fire, though in the general confusion this was probably not a likely prospect anyway.

Several more snipers got into position and joined Lukas in striking at the defenders, keeping the locations and frequency low enough to seem random and disorienting.  Just as the rest of the Nar-Ghosts were almost in position however the tide suddenly seemed to turn and the attacking force began to break, despite the fact that they seemed to have the upper hand.  This was unexpected and caught Azrael slightly off balance.  He told the snipers to continue pinning down the defenders but had the rest fall back slightly and stay in cover while they reconsidered the situation in case a new unknown force had entered the equation.  He also contacted Maegon up in the hive to see if he could say anything from his elevated vantage point.

[OOC: As events around the ship have moved a little faster than I expected I thought I needed to bring Azrael back into the action, but it also seemed appropriate for them to have moved a little faster than Azrael expected too!]
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 10:05:23 pm by Dragon Lord »

Offline DM B

  • Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
  • *
  • Posts: 5.210
  • Regency: 51
  • Gender: Male
    • Twilightpeaks.net - Hone of Ruins of Empire
Re: Prelude: Cadian Dawn (IC)
« Reply #72 on: October 22, 2013, 06:29:08 pm »
@Azrael: Unfortunately for Azrael and the Nar-ghosts they were caught slight off guard. With the bulk of their force recently arrived and completely exhausted from a harrowing march it must be admitted that fighting a battle wasn't on everyone's mind. Especially not since rumor had it that the Magos had found allies and were negotiating additional alliance...

So when the attack came the Nar-ghosts did what they do best; wait and watch. And the Astartes assault came out of nowhere; one minute everything was 'calm' (as calm as a massed assault on a downed starship gets) and the next all hell broke lose. None of the watching Nar-ghosts felt any particular urge to get caught up in that tangle. Not when they could sit back and ponder in mixed awe and disbelief as ten men assaulted a starship with a crew of thousands - Astartes may be superhuman, but they are not immortal. You know that - you've seen them die before. It only takes more firepower than from the rest of you grunts.
DM Bjørn

Offline DM B

  • Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
  • *
  • Posts: 5.210
  • Regency: 51
  • Gender: Male
    • Twilightpeaks.net - Hone of Ruins of Empire
Re: Prelude: Cadian Dawn (IC)
« Reply #73 on: October 22, 2013, 06:33:14 pm »
After the furry of the onslaught quietens down and the Marines have established their initial perimeter, the Lector turns to his second in command, the aspirant Librarian:

"Locum Lector, do you sense any further presences in our vicinity? We will not withstand another encounter like this one, and we also need to resupply before we can make a move and see what awaits us in the dark bowels of this twisted ship."

Turning to his men, while his lieutenant considers his orders, he barks:

"Astartes, get whatever supplies you can use from these and stand ready to move at my command. We will move in pairs no one is to wander on his own through this thing. Keep your eyes open and your hearts of iron. The Chapter will prevail." concludes the Lector.

----

Outside, Roldar his Scouts and other riffraff followers withdraw to allow the failed assailants to scatter. Puzzled as he might be Roldar regroups his men and starts hunting for supplies left behind, while three Scouts are dispatched to try and recover their fallen comrade under the expected cover of darkness.

Resupplying with prove difficult; the enemy is not equipped with Astartes weapons. You can of course use just about anything to kill with, but it won't be as effective. Chainswords and disciplined bolter fire seems the way to go.

"The ship is swarming with life, at least six hundred souls, possibly as many as a thousand. On the command deck...a presence unlike the others...the Renegade I warrant. There is also something in the enginarium...something otherworldly, a warp presence Sir."

---

Outside the scouts move in the secure the fallen brother, hoping that the darkness and the chaos will shield them as they cross open ground...
DM Bjørn

Offline Lurk Skywalker

  • Senior Lurker
  • Champion of Chaos
  • Scion
  • ***
  • Posts: 124
  • Regency: 4
  • Gender: Male
Re: Prelude: Cadian Dawn (IC)
« Reply #74 on: October 22, 2013, 07:04:32 pm »
The Lector nods at his second in command and orders:

"Brothers, we move towards the enginarium. Hold tight on the ammo."

He then uses the battle code to order to sequence of movement:

Key (L: Lector / LL: Locum Lector / x: Marine if my count is right we are down to 8 Marines inside plus their officers)
-------------------------------------
Rear       Center            Front
              (wounded, etc.)
x LL           x                   x x
x x             x                   L x
-------------------------------------