Author Topic: Making your DO  (Read 9755 times)

Offline X-DM Jon

• Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Regency: 21
  • Slide
Making your DO
« on: January 06, 2009, 02:28:59 PM »
After having looked through a couple of your DO's I'm running into a couple of repeat issues.

First and foremost: Remember to include the DDC calculation in the action description, it helps yourself and it helps us!

Second: Remember to do the dirty work and fill out your province and holding list at the bottom of the DO. This also saves your DM's alot of times. AND remember to keep it updated each turn!

Lesser matters:
 Quite a few of you enter your regent action description in the able assistance action description. This isn't a bad idea at all, but please rename it to regent action description and copy paste another for your able assistance action description.

Remember to use all (!) your aa's. Even if it's just training. Advisors/hirelings can either ply trade or advise you. Henchmen can do 1 character action for you. Lieuts can do 1 character action for you - in addition to the bonus action you gain for having one or more lieuts.

A character action can be spent to gain a competence modifier (+2) for one of your regent actions. It has to be described and make sense though. No character action can assist in creating a ley line, but you can support most other actions with a bit of flair and fluff.

Remember to use all your court actions - or lower your court cost (note however that lowering it below 5 will give you penalties on a couple of court actions and you can't have more advisor/hirelings than your court cost.)

I'll add more as I remember it.

Offline X-MOC/Leman States (Even)

• Ser Engineer
  • Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 16
  • Patriarch Leman States
Re: Making your DO
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 02:58:29 PM »
Second: Remember to do the dirty work and fill out your province and holding list at the bottom of the DO. This also saves your DM's alot of times. AND remember to keep it updated each turn!

Isn't that what the P&H is for?!? I got about 30 holdings, and a matching 30 provinces with the holdings in. What purpouse does the players copying the spreadsheet (possibly erroneously) serve?
"We are RuinsofEmpire now, and when we act, we create our own reality."

Offline X-Endier & KoH/GdN (Joe)

• Former players
  • Scion
  • Regency: 7
  • Guy de Nichaleir, Grand-Maester and Count
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 03:19:24 PM »
Would it be helpful at all if I resent my domain orders with the DDC and modifiers in them?
Guy de Nichaleir, Grand-Maester of the Knights of Haelyn, Count of Endier, the Red Knight

Offline X-DM Jon

• Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Slide
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 03:20:31 PM »

Isn't that what the P&H is for?!? I got about 30 holdings, and a matching 30 provinces with the holdings in. What purpouse does the players copying the spreadsheet (possibly erroneously) serve?

It saves the DM's the work of jumping incessantly back and forth between DO & P&H. Errors will always pop up, but if we aid one another, they can be kept to a minimum. Get to work!

Offline X-DM Jon

• Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Slide
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 03:21:11 PM »
Would it be helpful at all if I resent my domain orders with the DDC and modifiers in them?

Please do, I'm looking through all the DO's today and sending answers back with my notes. I'll obviously go for the newest version.

Offline X-EOM/SS (Marco)

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Regency: 4
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 08:17:06 AM »
After having looked through a couple of your DO's I'm running into a couple of repeat issues.

First and foremost: Remember to include the DDC calculation in the action description, it helps yourself and it helps us!

In my DO I've put, for every action, only the final DDC after having calculated all bonus and penalties. Was I correct?

Marco

Offline X-DM Jon

• Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Slide
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009, 11:07:26 AM »

It saves the DM's the work of jumping incessantly back and forth between DO & P&H. Errors will always pop up, but if we aid one another, they can be kept to a minimum. Get to work!

Obviously I'm kidding to a certain extent. I want you to enter all your holdings from the start of the game, since it gives you a clear overview of the holdings and provinces you're dealing with -and helps give me an overview, since I'm not prone to jumping around the P&H.
 If you wish to keep them updated is really your own choice.

Offline X-DM Jon

• Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Slide
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009, 11:08:57 AM »

In my DO I've put, for every action, only the final DDC after having calculated all bonus and penalties. Was I correct?

Marco

You must have been one of the early deliveries then  ;D, I'll send you a comment sheet today. And yeah, please enter the DDC calculation so it's easy to see what effects you're counting into the total.

Offline X-EOM/SS (Marco)

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Regency: 4
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2009, 11:20:17 AM »
ok...

i'll modify my DO then after your comments

Offline X-Haelyn's Aegis/RK (Andy)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 42
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2009, 10:41:21 PM »
Hmm, I converted the P&H to show my holdings only - albeit on a single page not several.  Presumably that would be no help on the flicking front.

Would it be better just to say the relevant holdings levels in the DC calc?  Most of my domain won't feature in any given turn as it is all over the place and errors will creep in incessantly.

One easy solution would be to 'port the relevant lines of P&H into the word file - possibly the relevant lines under each action description.  It would be fairly easy to do this as long as we didn't need to retain income formulae.

Sigh, I didn't know who was a henchman, who was a looey, etc so pretty much ignored all of the minions.  I'll figure it out eventually.
Robhan Khaiarén
High Marshal of Haelyn's Aegis
Work hard, walk with honour, be justly rewarded

Offline X-DM Jon

• Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Slide
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2009, 01:57:47 AM »
You still have time to resubmit and I still need to check the last DO's  ;)

Offline X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper)

• Sovereign
  • Regency: 18
  • Pontiff Wallac Isilviere, High Prefect of the IHH
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2009, 08:25:47 AM »
I have constuctions I do not know where exactly is placed or if I even have them. I have others I am currently building but do not know where is being build nor how progess is. I have chosen to ignore them all together untill the time where I have those data
His Holiness Wallac Isilviere, Pontiff of All Anuire, High Prefect of the Impregnable Heart of Haelyn

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
  • Regency: 51
    • Twilightpeaks.net - Hone of Ruins of Empire
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2009, 08:30:38 AM »
Remember that this is the very first start-and-learn-the-game turn. It doesn't have to be really good. The important thing is handing it in, and hopefully learning something in the process.
DM Bjørn

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
  • Regency: 51
    • Twilightpeaks.net - Hone of Ruins of Empire
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2009, 12:53:10 PM »
Here a few general tips (thing I'd do if I played):

I'd focus on diplomacy with my natural allies, getting to know them.
I'd deal with event that crop up in the SR.
I'd keep things simple.

Game-mechanically I'd focus on improving prosperity across the board. Agitation, rule law (I'd even consider taking 20 to get that last law level in my high-level provinces), agreements with other law holders to max my resistance to prosperity loss, getting those bless lands going. In a year prosperity should be much better, and most realms will gain a 1 point improvement in stability as well.
DM Bjørn

Offline X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper)

• Sovereign
  • Regency: 18
  • Pontiff Wallac Isilviere, High Prefect of the IHH
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2009, 08:29:28 PM »
Remember that this is the very first start-and-learn-the-game turn. It doesn't have to be really good. The important thing is handing it in, and hopefully learning something in the process.

That is true - it is a long game and as a newbie I believe I have allready learnt a lot - some from veterans, some from getting DO back in my face from Jon and some just for the effort made by myself  :)
His Holiness Wallac Isilviere, Pontiff of All Anuire, High Prefect of the Impregnable Heart of Haelyn