Author Topic: Vassals  (Read 8609 times)

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
  • Regency: 51
    • Twilightpeaks.net - Hone of Ruins of Empire
Vassals
« on: July 04, 2009, 10:06:03 PM »
For the life of me there is one thing I do not understand; why does the majority of players treat their vassals by A) Ignoring them and/or B) Treat them as enemies?

Properly handled your vassals can be a huge asset...but it seems that players think they are a pain in the behind...to the extent that they'll gladly ignore external threats to throttle their own servants. Seems a waste to me...

Is it the modern mindset or is it just that the players, being old hands at all sorts of games, think of them as obstacles that must be dealt with...the sooner the better?
DM Bjørn

Offline X-Ghieste & HOT/GH (Matt)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 38
  • Duke Ghorien Hiriele of Ghieste, Guilder of H/OT
Re: Vassals
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2009, 10:09:27 PM »
I shall answer this question in an email to you Bjorn if that is okay, but I do have some answers to this question.  ;)
His Grace Ghorien Hiriele,
Duke of Ghieste,
Grand-Maester of the Highland/Overland Traders,
Viscount of Whyrthe.
Down Right Evil Bastard!

Offline X-Osoerde (Alan)

• The Dragon
  • Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Regency: 21
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009, 08:53:28 AM »
Hmmm, I have been trying to incorporate my vassals a little more...for the most part I think there is some confusion in regards to the extent that you need to have things worked out with vassals.

For instance, could I ask a Baron to negotiate with another kingdom on my behalf?  Do I need to use a diplomacy action to give him that authority, etc, etc.
Yes, wyrmling, the meat is made all the more tender by armor...

Offline X-Medoere & RCS/KE (Thorsten)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 22
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2009, 10:59:05 AM »
I have for the main part been "ignoring" my vassal somewhat. That is not because I want to, but more because the one vassal I have is so minuscule, that I'd rather use my actions on other things.

I did ask politely for some soldiers, and the vassal did comply though, that opened my eyes somewhat, as I actually didn't think he owned soldiers in that magnitude in the first place :)

Offline X-Elinie/RiD (Niels)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 19
  • Formerly Star of the East
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2009, 09:40:14 PM »
Well... Asking my vassals to do something in the past was no success. And when I tried talking to each individually it took too much of DM's time...

Its difficult to know the balance.

But I do plan to speak more to them... I need them I guess. Simply aren't enough actions otherwise.
Formerly: His Grace, Patriarch Rashid ibn Daouta, Last Imperial Duke of the Eastern Marches, Duke of Elinie, Master of Sutren Hills, Holy Paladin of Avanalae, Light of Reason.

Offline X-Osoerde (Alan)

• The Dragon
  • Former players
  • Sovereign
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2009, 03:28:39 PM »
Additionally, most of the NPCs are vassals and asking them to do things seems to place a burden on the DMs...

Offline X-Mieres & SAS/AV (Mark)

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Regency: 15
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 03:30:01 PM »
Some of us have servants that need a good throttling  ;D
Every man has a price he will willingly accept, even for what he hoped never to sell. 

Offline X-Mhoried/Droene Kavarra (Iasonas)

• Former players
  • Scion
  • Regency: 3
  • The Mhor, Droene Kavarra
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2009, 07:19:28 AM »
Vassals, what vassals?

Oh, you mean those guys trying their best to please me? What about them? What do you mean they have needs and plans?  ::) :o

Seriously though, even though I try to keep them in mind they usually remain hidden in the background, behind that mist of new plans, and old plans gone awry. A lot of details to keep in mind!
Droene Kavarra.
The Mhor.
The land is inherited,
The respect is earned.

Offline X-Elinie/RiD (Niels)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 19
  • Formerly Star of the East
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2009, 10:57:47 AM »
Its not like they actually make contact and offer stuff to get what they want. They just moan and complain.  :)
Formerly: His Grace, Patriarch Rashid ibn Daouta, Last Imperial Duke of the Eastern Marches, Duke of Elinie, Master of Sutren Hills, Holy Paladin of Avanalae, Light of Reason.

Offline X-EOM/SS (Marco)

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Regency: 4
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2009, 07:25:50 AM »
I have no vassals...so I can't use them :'(

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2009, 01:25:50 PM »
But you are a vassal yourself...
DM Bjørn

Offline X-EOM/SS (Marco)

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Regency: 4
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2009, 07:29:18 AM »
until now my liege had asked very little to me 8)

Offline X-MOC/Leman States (Even)

• Ser Engineer
  • Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 16
  • Patriarch Leman States
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2009, 07:01:34 PM »
For the life of me there is one thing I do not understand; why does the majority of players treat their vassals by A) Ignoring them and/or B) Treat them as enemies?

Properly handled your vassals can be a huge asset...but it seems that players think they are a pain in the behind...to the extent that they'll gladly ignore external threats to throttle their own servants. Seems a waste to me...

Is it the modern mindset or is it just that the players, being old hands at all sorts of games, think of them as obstacles that must be dealt with...the sooner the better?

I think it is the same syndrome that drives people to insanity in the attempts at 'world conquest' in games such as Europa Universalis and Hearts of Iron (and other strategy games). Only one colour is acceptable on the map, even if the game stops being interesting after about a third is conquered. Similarly only one regent is acceptable in a domain.
"We are RuinsofEmpire now, and when we act, we create our own reality."

Offline X-Osoerde (Alan)

• The Dragon
  • Former players
  • Sovereign
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2009, 09:46:44 PM »

I think it is the same syndrome that drives people to insanity in the attempts at 'world conquest' in games such as Europa Universalis and Hearts of Iron (and other strategy games). Only one colour is acceptable on the map, even if the game stops being interesting after about a third is conquered. Similarly only one regent is acceptable in a domain.

I completely agree with you, Even.  But I had a bit of an epiphany recently.  There is truly no way for a landed regent to accomplish everything that he SHOULD accomplish -- it takes entirely too many actions, somethings would have to be sacrificed.

Yet, with some gold and diplomacy, vassals are immensely valuable in helping accomplish everything.

I note though, this is a very new thing for me and I imagine it is very time consuming for Bjorn, so at some point, we need to determine a way to make it less work-intensive for Bjorn.

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2009, 09:57:34 PM »
Keep it relatively short and sweet. Vassals with whom you have good relations will only be happy to do stuff for you - since they know this scores them points with the boss.
DM Bjørn