Author Topic: NPC's in mail dialogue  (Read 4742 times)

Offline X-Elinie/RiD (Niels)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 19
  • Formerly Star of the East
NPC's in mail dialogue
« on: March 11, 2009, 02:09:50 PM »
Hi guys!

We all know how swamped our dear DM's get, when there is some 300 emails pr. day flying around.

Its unreasonable to believe they can keep track of all of it, and indeed, most of it is irrelevant aside from the final conclusions that lead to action on the domain level.

However, this also means, that in the situations where an NPC is present, and we players want them to take an action or to speak their mind, we have to wait until the DM's reach that email in the stack, and more, notice that there is a request for DM driven dialogue.

Is there a way that we can "flag" an email as requiring some kind of DM interaction before the sotryline can progress?

I do not want to impose, but on the other hand, I can't move my current plotline forward without knowing if Gerad says "yes, awesome" or "nah, I'm fed up".

Sending more e-mails do not help, it just gives the inboxes indigestion and chaos ensues.  :)
Formerly: His Grace, Patriarch Rashid ibn Daouta, Last Imperial Duke of the Eastern Marches, Duke of Elinie, Master of Sutren Hills, Holy Paladin of Avanalae, Light of Reason.

Offline X-DM Jon

• Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Regency: 21
  • Slide
Re: NPC's in mail dialogue
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 02:20:44 PM »
General bugging is always useful. You can use the PM system in here for reminders.
 Apart from that, not really that much to do about it. I'm still 400 unread mails behind and keep getting more  :)

Bjørn has done a titanic job so far though. So I'm just checking the backlog and dealing with all I can while he's going away for the holiday.

Offline X-MOC/Leman States (Even)

• Ser Engineer
  • Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 16
  • Patriarch Leman States
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 02:23:34 PM »
Players mostly interacting with players really helps. Players deciding they should cause political intrigue in Rohrmarch or Dhoesone does not help.

On a more practical not, I try to add a big blurb in capital letters towards the top of a e-mail thread to other players if I suddenly NEED DM INPUT TO CONTINUE. No idea if it makes any difference to the DMs noticing, but it feels like a good idea.  ;D
"We are RuinsofEmpire now, and when we act, we create our own reality."

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
  • Regency: 51
    • Twilightpeaks.net - Hone of Ruins of Empire
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 02:25:57 PM »
Players mostly interacting with players really helps. Players deciding they should cause political intrigue in Rohrmarch or Dhoesone does not help.

On a more practical not, I try to add a big blurb in capital letters towards the top of a e-mail thread to other players if I suddenly NEED DM INPUT TO CONTINUE. No idea if it makes any difference to the DMs noticing, but it feels like a good idea.  ;D

Flagging like that IS a VERY good idea.

Dealing with primary NPC domains is always covered by the DMs. As for minor NPCs (like your own vassals), you should try to limit contact both in frequency and volume; maybe even call upon all your vassals in one dispatch/diplo action. In general, unless otherwise noted, the ARE generally helpful and loyal.

For minor NPCs and AAs out capacity is limited. 
DM Bjørn