Author Topic: Brigands of Thoralinar - turn #63  (Read 24075 times)

Offline X-Tornilen/SM (Alexander)

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Regency: 22
  • Duchess Marya Tanar
Re: Brigands of Thoralinar - turn #63
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2009, 01:15:05 PM »
OOC: On the court action thing, I whined like a little bitch to Bjørn and he let me do it with my just one action this once. We call it an accounting problem or just that my court has been unusually effective this turn. I'll take more care to use the proper actions for warfare another time.

The Swordmage is switches her attention between the Duke and the map as he speaks. When he is done she nods.

"Ideas are useful. Here is what I would have us do:"

"We'll send a minor force, perhaps my archer regiment and your regulars, down the hill. They will pretend they are a force sent out by two regents that have grossly underestimated the threat. If the bandits choose not to engage or wait, they will simply camp at the foot of the bandit's hill, at the border of the forest.
They will bring only supplies for those two units, things we can do without so they can abandon it. When the bandits engage them in force, they are to withdraw up the hill in a fighting retreat. When they have drawn the forces of the bandits up onto this hill, we counterchare will all the mounted units... While having the foot units circle around this hill and strike from behind. Meanwhile I will attack from the top of the hill alongside the crossbowmen, adding my sorcery to the mix.
How does that sound to you?"

OOC: Map with battle plan uploaded!
Marya Tanar, The Sword Mage
Duchess and Mage of Tornilen

Offline X-Ghieste & HOT/GH (Matt)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 38
  • Duke Ghorien Hiriele of Ghieste, Guilder of H/OT
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2009, 02:27:54 PM »
"Yes, let us pull them out of their hole and see what they do then. At the very worst we just have to engage later."
His Grace Ghorien Hiriele,
Duke of Ghieste,
Grand-Maester of the Highland/Overland Traders,
Viscount of Whyrthe.
Down Right Evil Bastard!

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Duchess Marya Tanar
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2009, 02:49:51 PM »
"Good, we have a plan then. Unfortunately 'trimming' is out of the question though, as we can't spoil the surprise. The archers and regulars should march over the hill tomorrow at mid-day, so it seems they have already been marching a while. Let us start preparing."

OOC: So the plan is:
- Regulars and Archers move down the hillside tomorrow at mid-day. Pretending to have marched for a while and pretending to be alone. They will camp at the foot of the hill and await the enemy's action. It will be a very light camp where they can get out fast and leave everything behind.
- When the enemy engages they will do a fighting retreat up the hillside. Archers and regulars support each other well so they shouldn't take too bad a beating.
- All the cavalry and crossbowmen stay behind the top of the hill, ready to charge and rain bolts on them.
- The Armsmen and scouts circle around the foot of the hill, hopefully catching the enemy on the hillside.
- And... that's all. The Swordmage has a barbarian level and a good deal of fighting experience, so if I've made any big obvious holes in the plan, please let me know :)

Offline X-DM Jon

• Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Regency: 21
  • Slide
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2009, 03:10:45 PM »
OoC: Who will command the lure units?

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2009, 03:22:45 PM »
Ghorien stands up.

"Time to go then. I'll take the lure up and maintain the discipline during the run. You, Bareather and Kouralis can hold the commands in position until we are ready to engage."
Duke of Ghieste,
Viscount of Whyrthe.
Down Right Evil Bastard!

Offline X-DM Jon

• Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Slide
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2009, 03:33:57 PM »
Your two followers look at each other, then look at the army, then look at you.
 One says nothing, for very good reasons, the other, Kouralis speaks for both of them. As she always does.
"Respectfully your grace, you want US to command your army?"

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2009, 03:36:50 PM »
"No. I want you to stay with the Sword Mage and ensure that our men know she is commanding on my behalf. Your presence with her will only reinforce that. When I return from this subterfuge then we shall start the real work."
Duke of Ghieste,
Viscount of Whyrthe.
Down Right Evil Bastard!

Offline X-DM Jon

• Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Slide
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2009, 03:37:48 PM »
"As you wish your grace."

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2009, 03:45:53 PM »
"I know it is not the prefered position for any of us, but if one of us two is to command the decoy and one the main contingent then I think it more likely I can command the decoy without my presence being obvious. I am sure her Grace would agree that she is less.... less subtle than I, more obvious in command. When I bring the decoy back in I will attempt to do it in good order and you two are to rejoin me with my banner. By that point we will all be on the field and the day will be made or broken by our steel."
Duke of Ghieste,
Viscount of Whyrthe.
Down Right Evil Bastard!

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Duchess Marya Tanar
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2009, 03:54:00 PM »
The Swordmage nods.

"Admirable, your courage is certainly not lacking. Take care not to catch an arrow in the throat or something, that would be a shame. I did not really intend for any of us two to be in the decoy forces... it is a risky position. You do me honor by accompanying my troops into the trap."

She looks around at the others.

"Any other points to be brought up before we start preperations?"

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2009, 03:56:57 PM »
"It is a mixture of our troops who take the risk. We cannot both be there."

Ghorien calls his officers in and explains the plan and that the Swordmage, who most of his men have worked with and besides before, will command the detachment that stands in the ambush while he takes the decoy out for its jaunt. He ensures each is aware of the command chain for the battle and is familiar with the plan.
Duke of Ghieste,
Viscount of Whyrthe.
Down Right Evil Bastard!

Offline X-DM Jon

• Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Slide
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2009, 04:11:14 PM »
Your officers don't look too happy at this notion, but accept it nonetheless.

All preparations are made, supplies gathered and the two units sets off marching down the hill. Led by Duke Ghorien Hiriele.

Meanwhile the rest settle in for a long wait.

OoC: Here the DM is most interested in hearing how you will bring about the "Pretending to have marched for a while and pretending to be alone." effect  ;D

I should also like to know what plan the Swordmage has for her attack down the hill. Which troops where?

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2009, 04:38:02 PM »
The Duke keeps his head down and is not dressed in his normal field colours, trying to blend in amongst the men he makes sure that their march in, probably not striaght down the hill but at a tangent to reach the same point, but not being afraid of being seen, kicks up some dust or mud and that they all look tired and worn from a hard days march, including rolling them in it if necessary. The camp is made as though it is complete, as though no other troops are expected and all men are told to limit their conversation in camp. Cooking fires are to be built and a stay for the night to be "expected". When we are to move all are expected to take only fighting equipment, the rest to be recovered later along with the baggage carts for the supplies of the troops we have present.
Duke of Ghieste,
Viscount of Whyrthe.
Down Right Evil Bastard!

Offline X-DM Jon

• Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Slide
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2009, 04:49:09 PM »
You march over the hill and down the long slope. In the distance massive clouds gather over the mountains, maybe a storm is forming?

It doesn't take long before you are at the bottom of the hill, marching onto the plain before the massive forested foothill where you know the brigands to be hiding. To the eye that does not know they are there, nothing can be seen, but you think you spot movement beyond the shadows of the trees.

Then you settle upon the plain, set pickets and have the men play out a little show of collapsing where they stand. Unfortunately, acting isn't exactly what soldiers are best at and it all ends up looking more like a disorganized rabble setting up camp. You think it might have been a good idea to actually wear them out first...

The first hour passes with nothing happening, but you are certain that something is going on up beyond the treeline.

OoC: Uploaded picture is an example, imagine it completely covered with forest and you're there.

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2009, 06:06:12 PM »
Ghorien smiles at the inability of the men to look tired and is equally happy with the appearance of incompetence that should also put his enemy off their guard. This piece is a waiting game and he will need to send foragers out soon to maintain the appearances. He waits as long as he can before he releases those who would gather wood, making sure the order comes from one of the regimental officers and not from him directly.
Duke of Ghieste,
Viscount of Whyrthe.
Down Right Evil Bastard!