Author Topic: Brigands of Thoralinar - turn #63  (Read 24114 times)

Offline X-Tornilen/SM (Alexander)

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Regency: 22
  • Duchess Marya Tanar
Brigands of Thoralinar - turn #63
« on: May 27, 2009, 11:55:57 PM »
The first cold winds of autumn are the northern parts of Thoralinar, Tornilen, as the Swordmage arrives at her old sanctum near the border to Elinie. Before her arrival a unit of archers have been recalled from garrison duty and are gathering before the Castle.

With her she has a small group of bodyguards who stay with her as she meets the leaders of the regiment of archers. She seems a little distracted as she does this, but other than that everything seems as usual.

Right now her and the troops are just waiting for Duke Hiriele to show up, then the fun will begin.

[OOC: The distraction is due to SM running a scrying spell on this very province, as she is there. Having her attention split that way must be confusing. I haven't got the results on the spell yet, but the DDC was 7, so I'm guessing I will have the result soon.]
Marya Tanar, The Sword Mage
Duchess and Mage of Tornilen

Offline X-Ghieste & HOT/GH (Matt)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 38
  • Duke Ghorien Hiriele of Ghieste, Guilder of H/OT
Re: Brigands of Thoralinar - turn #63
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 06:05:57 PM »
It is a chill evening, with a bitter bite of winter just edging into the night air and that crisp feeling is matched by the precision of movement from the body of men moving. There is a tension present in all of them, a feeling of accuracy and discipline as well as brutal professionalism. Soldier after soldier passes by and it seems that Ghieste has marched an army to this meeting that is larger than rumour said his whole Duchies army was just a couple of years ago. They move in as much silence as an army can move in, with nothing above a whisper spoken and at there heart rides a stern looking Ghorien, Duke of Ghieste, dressed in simple and plain black leathers with a wicked looking dagger and sword paired on either side of his hips. It is only as he sees the Sword Mage that his face breaks into a more sunny smile and he greets her from horseback with a wave.
His Grace Ghorien Hiriele,
Duke of Ghieste,
Grand-Maester of the Highland/Overland Traders,
Viscount of Whyrthe.
Down Right Evil Bastard!

Offline X-DM Jon

• Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Regency: 21
  • Slide
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 04:38:04 PM »
OoC: Since this involves moving troops and forming a field army, I've moved it into the wars section.
 Furthermore, having read your DO's there are a few notes that spring to mind.

Tornilen: Merely activating a unit in a province isn't enough. You have to "move" the unit in order to get in contact with the enemy. Even if said enemy is in the province. I can exchange either of your court actions for this action if you want, otherwise the unit won't be available for this.

Ghieste: The same. Only you're activating units in a different province. Since you're using a wage war action, this isn't really a problem.

Both: If you want to "properly" unite forces of several realms under one command, you have to use a grant action and turn over control to one general.

So; The current situation is as follows:

Tornilen force,
 Archers      OK   Veteran - commanded by Duchess Marya Tanar.

Ghieste field army, general is Duke Ghorien Hiriele
 1st Dragoons      OK   Veteran   
 1st Armsmen      OK   Elite   
 1st Regulars      OK   Skilled   
 1st Crossbows      OK   Skilled
 1st Knights                OK    Skilled
 1st Outriders             OK    Green
 1st Scouts                OK    Green   

IC: Situation at the beginning of the campaign (war move 1).

Duke Ghorien Hiriele link up with Duchess Marya Tanar's forces. The sorceress begin calling upon her arcane powers!

War move 2 begins.

Later edit: Due to some DO confusion, the DM has been led to believe that the MoC was involved in this campaign. They ain't, so I'm removing their presence.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 07:34:06 PM by DM Jon »

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 04:52:20 PM »
*ahem*

Ghorien also has the following with him

1st Knights OK Skilled
1st Outriders OK Green
1st Scouts OK Green
Duke of Ghieste,
Viscount of Whyrthe.
Down Right Evil Bastard!

Offline X-DM Jon

• Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Slide
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 04:55:07 PM »
OoC: Right you are, list updated.

Offline X-DM Jon

• Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Slide
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2009, 05:19:56 PM »
Your forces are lined up on the slope of a hill, hidden from view, while the Swordmage conducts her divinations.

If you stand on top of the hill and look southeast, the view looks something like below. The Swordmage is far away, scanning the far expanse of the horizon, with glazed over eyes. It seems like she's gazing at the hills in the distance.

(Click the thumbnail for a bigger picture)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 05:26:32 PM by DM Jon »

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2009, 06:17:02 PM »
Ghorien is careful to place his heaviest troops higher up the slope to allow momentum to work in their favour, with the dragoons placed up beside them and the outriders at the very bottom. Scouts are deployed forward, ready to see what is to be seen.
Duke of Ghieste,
Viscount of Whyrthe.
Down Right Evil Bastard!

Offline X-DM Jon

• Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Slide
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2009, 06:25:26 PM »
Right now you have no target, only the Swordmage's strange visions of danger to the east. If you order your troops to deploy down hill, they will move out of hiding and might be seen by sentries far away.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 07:34:28 PM by DM Jon »

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2009, 09:16:53 AM »
Well then we shall not deploy them there yet, merely make preperations of deployment in position to allow for the ease of that position when we are ready.
Duke of Ghieste,
Viscount of Whyrthe.
Down Right Evil Bastard!

Offline X-DM Jon

• Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Slide
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2009, 02:15:07 PM »
OoC: Currently awaiting a reply from the Swordmage...

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Duchess Marya Tanar
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2009, 12:33:42 AM »
From the moment the two armies met up to the moment they are standing on the hill, the Swordmage has been absent-minded and occupied. She has only greeted the Duke curtly and clearly is not interested in speaking before she is done with her spell.

While the Duke takes a look at the enemy from the top of the hill, she sits in a tent with a young female scribe. Finally a messenger asks Duke Hiriele to come to the tent, Duchess Marya is done with her spell.

In the tent she finally pays attention to the duke.

"Duke Hiriele, it is good to see you. Now we finally have specific information on their disposition, I am glad that you have brought so many troops... we will need them. She beckons towards a tent raised at the foot of the hill. Come, let us discuss strategy."

[OOC: The map is attached]

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Duchess Marya Tanar
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2009, 12:46:33 AM »
Inside the tent the two nobles are discussing how to eliminate these bandits.

The Swordmage:
"There are a few things you need to know; They have been her for a while and have clearly dug in - there are fortifications sorrounding their camp. Only field fortifications, but still noteworthy. They also have the supplies to withstand a long siege.
In addition they have someone hidden in the cave who can hide from my scrying and conceal what's inside the cave. Perhaps they have more troops there, perhaps they have an escape route.
Their troops are a mix of Goblins, Humans and Orogs. The heavies are orogs, the regulars human and the scouts, skirmishers, and archers are a mix of goblins and humans.
The leader of the humans is a man dressed as a Knight of Tael's elite guard... rather interesting. Perhaps one of them survived. They look to him at any rate.
I think that is all..."

She falls silent for a moment, then continues.
"We could approach from the south, hidden by the hills and the shadow of the mountains, but if they catch us there we would not have room to maneuver.
Coming in from the west is possible as well, we could gamble on the forest and the hills hiding us.
We could also circle around to the east and approach them through the mountains, though that would take at least a day.
Personally I would like to draw them out of their camp somehow, I do not like the prospect of them escaping through caves below us... if that cave entrance on the hill is an entrance to a larger network. That, however, is speculation."

She looks up at Duke Hiriele. "What do you say?"

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2009, 07:48:40 AM »
With a sigh he looks over the map a vein throbbing at his temple.

"Well I would say we have several options and perhaps more tools in our knapsack then they might reckon with. First of all we are to the north west so, given the size of our force, we do have the opportunity of driving in from both the North and the West at the same time, our main force to the north with dragoons and scouts to swing in from the west to break their light troops. In the north we use the outriders on our left flank to pin that unit and stop them running while delpoying in depth to hide our numbers. That should let those who do run warn...."

He pauses, a rather spooky smile now spreading across his face.

"Okay, the way I see it is that we have two principal chances - we can either rely on strength or we can rely on guile. I think, giving the fortifications we use guile first and then drop to strength when we have removed some of the obstacles. I assume out only restriction time wise is risk of discovery? I have a team with me skilled in infiltration of enemy lines you see and there is a temptation to trim their command structure before we engage, even if it is just in the outlying pickets. It might even be that, combined with a dawn attack say we could remove the guards and allow a rush of the compound leaving their compass points stranded. Otherwise I would suggest we engage one of the point units and stage a withdrawal by the two or three units that engage it to encourage them to come and crush us on our field of choice, with a fw choice traps laid there."

He looks a little abashed.

"Sorry, I just started on ideas - see if you can pick the bones out of those."
Duke of Ghieste,
Viscount of Whyrthe.
Down Right Evil Bastard!

Offline X-DM Jon

• Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Slide
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2009, 09:54:35 AM »
With a sigh he looks over the map a vein throbbing at his temple.

"Well I would say we have several options and perhaps more tools in our knapsack then they might reckon with. First of all we are to the north west so, given the size of our force, we do have the opportunity of driving in from both the North and the West at the same time, our main force to the north with dragoons and scouts to swing in from the west to break their light troops. In the north we use the outriders on our left flank to pin that unit and stop them running while delpoying in depth to hide our numbers. That should let those who do run warn...."

He pauses, a rather spooky smile now spreading across his face.

"Okay, the way I see it is that we have two principal chances - we can either rely on strength or we can rely on guile. I think, giving the fortifications we use guile first and then drop to strength when we have removed some of the obstacles. I assume out only restriction time wise is risk of discovery? I have a team with me skilled in infiltration of enemy lines you see and there is a temptation to trim their command structure before we engage, even if it is just in the outlying pickets. It might even be that, combined with a dawn attack say we could remove the guards and allow a rush of the compound leaving their compass points stranded. Otherwise I would suggest we engage one of the point units and stage a withdrawal by the two or three units that engage it to encourage them to come and crush us on our field of choice, with a fw choice traps laid there."

He looks a little abashed.

"Sorry, I just started on ideas - see if you can pick the bones out of those."

As far as the Swordmage informs you, the brigand pickets are all protected by the forested hillside.

OoC: A team skilled in infiltration?

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2009, 10:00:34 AM »
OOC I will reply to this question via email....
Duke of Ghieste,
Viscount of Whyrthe.
Down Right Evil Bastard!