Author Topic: Regent Guide v3.6  (Read 5215 times)

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
  • Regency: 51
    • Twilightpeaks.net - Hone of Ruins of Empire
Regent Guide v3.6
« on: March 07, 2012, 02:36:37 PM »
So...we never got around to finishing the Regent Guide, did we?

Painfully obvious but still  :o

Being a masochist and having refound my love for RoE:

I've decided to make one final attempt at finishing a draft, getting it reasonably edited and turning it into an official .pdf

A nice .pdf with layout and pictures and indexes and whatnot.

Here is a brief summary of things I've planned/already done:

Layout: Decided upon. You can see it in the Chapter 1 sample I uploaded. FINISHED.

Introduction: Changed a bit to make it more universal and less RoE-PbeMish. FINISHED.

Chapter 1 – Introduction: Reworked to make it more universal and less RoE-PbeMish. The RoE rules should have enough flexibility to be used for ANY fantasy setting. FINISHED.

Chapter 2 - Domains: Added bits and pieces. Clarifications. More references. AAs reworked; not completely reworked, but considerably reworked. They will still be useful, but will no longer spam the game to death. Options for more detailed/powerful characters are added in Chapter 9. Domain caster level concept introduced. FINISHED.

Chapter 3 - Regency: Needs simplification and many more examples. WORKING.

Chapter 4 - The Domain Turn: Focus needs to be shifted from pure PbeM play to any type of play; PbeM, PbP and PnP. Part of this includes rules for conducting a more time-structured turn, actually resolving actions by rounds and wars move by move. It looks quite promising. WORKING.

Chapter 5 - Domain Actions: Some changes to supportive/AA actions (see above). Many minor adjustments, some larger ones. AAs now only ever get ONE action per turn. ONE!!! Advantage is (finally) streamlined. Bonus-whoring and taking 10 is still in, but now its much more transparent - even casual players should now understand how to get these bonuses (getting the bonuses will still require some effort, but at least their importance won't be 'secret' anymore). Influence rules get an overhaul. Timing of actions (see above). More focus on the importance of COURT actions. By an large the chapter feels the same though, despite the changes. WORKING.

Chapter 6 - Armies and Warfare: Reorganized and streamlined. More examples. Key concepts are better described. Some rules are made optional. Resolution of battles formalized; DM fiat, interactive action (role-play, just like diplomacy and adventures), quick resolution (using a battle 'score' system) and semi-tactical war cards battle. BRAINSTORMING.

Chapter 7 - Oar and Sail: Has needed work since the very start. I have some good ideas and did some fleshing out last year. Will receive attention this time; but navies will play a, important but supporting role in the RoE rules. BRAINSTORMING.

Chapter 8 - Realm Magic: Spells moved into realm magic chapter. Focus moves away from regent-as-caster to domain-as-caster. Long overdue I think. Spells will either be updated or removed. BRAINSTORMING.

Chapter 9 - Characters and Domain: Already added as section talking about using different systems and different levels of play. The RoE baseline will be low levels, but different power levels will be supported. BRAINSTORMING.

Chapter 10 - Domain mastering: New chapter. Will cover how to set up games/convert settings to RoE rules. Section about interactive play. Section about differences between PbeM, PbP and PnP games. NOT STARTED.

Appendixes: So far I've pegged 3; communication, victory points, plus a new one :-P

Indexes/table summaries/reference sheet etc. : Will be added later.
DM Bjørn

Offline X-Tuornen/LF (Geir)

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Regency: 10
  • Laela Flaertes, Duchess of Tuornen
Re: Regent Guide v3.6
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 02:45:45 PM »
 ::) so we when will we change to the new rules?...
Laela Flaertes, By the Grace of Haelyn Duchess of Tuornen

- Geir
Tuornen / LF

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 03:08:53 PM »
When they are ready? Which isn't anytime soon.
DM Bjørn

Offline X-Ghieste & HOT/GH (Matt)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 38
  • Duke Ghorien Hiriele of Ghieste, Guilder of H/OT
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 03:13:27 PM »
So how would you like us to help you proceed with the project? What can we contribute? Do you have a project plan of what you want done and for when?
His Grace Ghorien Hiriele,
Duke of Ghieste,
Grand-Maester of the Highland/Overland Traders,
Viscount of Whyrthe.
Down Right Evil Bastard!

Offline X-Tuornen/LF (Geir)

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Regency: 10
  • Laela Flaertes, Duchess of Tuornen
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 03:37:59 PM »
it looks great, impressing. Have you thought about some type of copyright protection for this system?  It is at the point already. I do not know how one goes about something like that with the relations to the original Birthright game and such but I do hope you are thinking about it.
Laela Flaertes, By the Grace of Haelyn Duchess of Tuornen

- Geir
Tuornen / LF

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 05:55:11 PM »
it looks great, impressing. Have you thought about some type of copyright protection for this system?  It is at the point already. I do not know how one goes about something like that with the relations to the original Birthright game and such but I do hope you are thinking about it.

RoE is still 'based upon the domain rules from Birthright', but it's a ripoff. I guess that if I tried to sell it (which won't happen - the rule will never be THAT complete) I would have to clear out some more references, but it's OK as is. As for copyright; it's written by me, so it's my property. I don't think it really matters, but there it is.
DM Bjørn

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 05:56:06 PM »
So how would you like us to help you proceed with the project? What can we contribute? Do you have a project plan of what you want done and for when?

Constructive criticism along the way. New ideas. Suggested changes. Things you think are missing. That sort of thing.
DM Bjørn

Offline X-Ghieste & HOT/GH (Matt)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 38
  • Duke Ghorien Hiriele of Ghieste, Guilder of H/OT
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 07:58:55 PM »
I shall see what I can do.

*flexes his professional muscles*

I might be able to help out a bit ;)
His Grace Ghorien Hiriele,
Duke of Ghieste,
Grand-Maester of the Highland/Overland Traders,
Viscount of Whyrthe.
Down Right Evil Bastard!

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2012, 09:25:44 PM »
Help is always appreciated.

Encouragement is also good. I expect there will be days when I don't feel very motivated.
DM Bjørn

Offline X-Osoerde (Alan)

• The Dragon
  • Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Regency: 21
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2012, 09:32:48 PM »
I have a few ideas about realm magic/balancing.

For instance, realm spells that offer specific bonuses to a domain - like a fixed variable income roll (the domain always rolls a 10 for instance).  For actions that might allow for a take 10 action to occur regardless of whether RP has been spent or not.  Things like that.
Yes, wyrmling, the meat is made all the more tender by armor...

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2012, 11:29:52 PM »
I'll set up some feedback/idea threads.
DM Bjørn

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2012, 08:22:29 PM »
Mages: As a general rule mages will be less completely independent of everything else; sorcerous domains will be domains rather than one-mage outfits. It will be reflected in a variety of ways, including how other domains might be able to interact with sources (i.e. if a king can find a source manifestation he can now occupy it and control it - but not rule it himself of course). Mages will also have more use for courts; and the 'domain caster level' mechanic will mean that the regent isn't all-important for a mage domain.
DM Bjørn

Offline X-Coeranys/WD (Greg)

• Former players
  • Scion
  • Regency: 4
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2012, 06:27:46 PM »
Awesome Bjorn!  Also, as you already know from my e-mails to you on this subject, I am very interested in a modified version of Birthright/RoE without the magic (though somewhat replaced with the "magic" of science and technology, e.g. Archimedes inventions, etc.).  Basically a "real world" version of the rules that could be overlayed in a semi-historical (i.e. "ancient, classical or dark ages") based setting.  I would be happy to share the details of my efforts in this area if there is interest.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 06:29:58 PM by Coeranys/WD (Greg) »
William Deaulen
Baron of Coeranys
Count of Caudraight

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2012, 06:54:29 PM »
Awesome Bjorn!  Also, as you already know from my e-mails to you on this subject, I am very interested in a modified version of Birthright/RoE without the magic (though somewhat replaced with the "magic" of science and technology, e.g. Archimedes inventions, etc.).  Basically a "real world" version of the rules that could be overlayed in a semi-historical (i.e. "ancient, classical or dark ages") based setting.  I would be happy to share the details of my efforts in this area if there is interest.

Absolutely interested. I'm already putting in sidebars to showcase how one can tone down the supernatural and magical aspect of things; and I will even suggest that the game can be played without any magic.
DM Bjørn

Offline X-Coeranys/WD (Greg)

• Former players
  • Scion
  • Regency: 4
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2012, 02:08:38 AM »
Cool!!!  When you are ready for it (i.e. lull between DO's), let me know.  I'll send you (and anyone else interested) what I have so far.  I'd love to contribute to building this variant into the rules.  :)

-Greg
William Deaulen
Baron of Coeranys
Count of Caudraight