TP.net > The Great Beyond (OOC)

Recommended reading

<< < (2/4) > >>

X-IHH (Murphy):
I've started reading "A Game of Thrones" at the suggestion here, and I've never been more horrified by characters in a novel.  The amount that I hate Targie, mostly.  Hate hate hate.

X-Medoere & RCS/KE (Thorsten):

--- Quote from: IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Murphy) on October 07, 2008, 06:37:03 AM ---I've started reading "A Game of Thrones" at the suggestion here, and I've never been more horrified by characters in a novel.  The amount that I hate Targie, mostly.  Hate hate hate.

--- End quote ---

He he he... There are so many characters, in R.R. Martin's books, that i have developed a love/hate relationship to. This is just the beginning!

DM B:
I like the series, but I have to say that I think quality has given way to quantity. Mind you, it is still good reading, but the last book(s) do not have the superior quality that A Game of Thrones has. Mr. Martin is milking his cash cow, and I can't really argue with that.

What I like best about the series is the characters...and the sense of mortality that the setting invokes. But lately too many key characters have died, to be replaced by less interresting ones. It is a difficult balance I imagine, but I find myself bored when yet another character dies (because by now I've stopped caring and the novelty of main character dying are long gone) and that REALLY degrades the series.

Oh, and that stuff about what happens in far-away lands are nowhere near as well written as the Kingdom stuff - it lacks all the little details that makes the Kingdoms seem a real place...too bad there is so much of it in the later books.

DM B:

--- Quote from: Ilien & PCE/GeM (Adrian) on September 28, 2008, 12:17:07 PM ---Two highly political series that spring to mind are Raymond E. Feist and Jane Wurts's Empire books...

--- End quote ---

Agreed. While certainly high fantasy, the political part of this series was a source of inspiration for the first RoE game...but to give credit where it is due...I sense a lot of Wurts and less of Feist in this series...

X-DM Jon:
Gene Wolfe's series "The Book of the New Sun". Comprising four books.

An awe-inspiring tale of an exiled apprentice torturer.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version