TP.net > The Great Beyond (OOC)

Recommended reading

(1/4) > >>

X-Mhoired (Dan):
So I may be preaching to the choir here, but for anyone who hasn't checked these out yet, allow me to recommend the series by George R.R. Martin, A Song of Ice and Fire. The first book, A Game of Thrones, is relatively self-contained in its own right, but serves as an introduction to a story of intrigue among nations, epic legends, and personal drama.
Like others on the forum this series served  to reignite my interes in the Birthright setting, and years later I learned our DM had been hooked on these books while running our BR campaign. To some friends I've described it as The Sopranos meets King Arthur, but to others I've said it was the single best work of fantasy literature I've read to date. It's mature, but can be quite funny in places as well! Quite a ride (Caveat emptor: This is expected to be at least a six book series, of which only four have currently been published)...
What do the rest of you think? And are there any other books out there, fiction or otherwise, people would like to spotlight as well?

X-Tornilen/SM (John):
I often recommend Colleen McCullough's series of books on late Republican Rome c110 BC - c48 BC (there's also a newish addition to the series covering Octavius vs Mark Antony).  The books are very good for the web of family and faction interactions and obligations which it looks as though this game has, as well as very interesting politics.  I'd recommend the first few books in the series over the later books, as in the later books the personalities dominate more over the politics - but they are all good (with the possible exception of the Octavius vs Antony book which I haven't read yet).

I'd also recommend Sharon Penman's novels set in medieval England.

X-Ilien & PCE:
Two highly political series that spring to mind are Raymond E. Feist and Jane Wurts's Empire books as well as some of Bujold's Miles Vorkosigan series. Latter is, of course set in a futuristic society, but there still is a lot of clan politicking.

X-Roesone/ARR (Robert):
I can't think of any other works of fantasy fiction I could recommend apart from Song of Ice and Fire even though I doubt the series will have a conclusion. Martin suffers from a writer's block visible from orbit even if he refuses to admit it and he's not the fittest and healthiest person around, not to mention that he's old :(

X-Mhoried/Constantine Mhor (Wiktor):
Not "reading" and a bit too modern in concept but I'd say 'Yes Minister' and 'Yes Prime Minister' along with Black Adder (4 series + extras) are also very good examples regarding politics in Cerilia.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version