RoE Development > Regent Guide

Bloodlines workbook

<< < (2/8) > >>

X-Ilien & PCE/GeM (Linde):

--- Quote from: Roesone/ARR (Robert) on April 01, 2009, 12:01:13 AM ---
--- Quote from: Illien & PCE/GeM (Linde) on March 31, 2009, 11:51:28 PM ---Regarding heirs:
Why would you want to give your bloodline to an heir? The difrence of +4  BS is hardly going to make or break a realm. It is surely nothing that a good economy couldn't compensate for so why not leave your heir 50 extra gold bars and keep your blood abilities for yourself. And in a year he can have raised his BS as much as you could have for him.

--- End quote ---

Because parents usually do irrational things for their children :) And any advantage, regardless of how minor it may seem, is better than no advantage at all ;)

--- End quote ---
Quite true, but even letting them running the realm is putting your people at a disadvantage.

--- Quote from: Illien & PCE/GeM (Linde) on March 31, 2009, 11:51:28 PM ---Better yet.. If you are set on loosing your blood then transfere all your holdings exept for one to him and swear vasalage to him. Then reduce your bloodline each turn to grant him insane tribute of regency untill you are unblooded.

--- End quote ---

Again.. if only our characters had access to the BR rulebook  ;D

--- End quote ---

Not true, only if our characters observed the world they live in OR had access to the RoE II Rulebook. By the standard BR Ad&d rulebook it would be smarter to transfere your bloodline to your heir as they would get your whole bloodline score in place of their own.
And it makes more sense to me if it was that way.

Beside that. Rules in the BR(RoE II) rulebook are not ooc knowledge that our characters can not have or obtain IC. It is like the laws of physics is for our world! Laws of physics can be discovered and used to your advantage!

But I can see that it makes for interesting conflicts when a regent retires. You leave your realm weak when you transfere it to your child or other heir. So not only have your realm lost its lvl 13 ruler it has also lost 50% of its regency income and all of its enemies know that it is weak... For surely history must have shown that realms are best ovethrown right after an heir has assumed the throne.

In this setting I would find it just as likely if not more that a regent dies without transfering his bloodline than he transferes it and retires. The reason is that you leave your realm weak if you retire so you risk that your heir will loose it. So in an attempt to keep stability and prosperity in your realm you hold on to the power untill it is to late for the ceremony.

And dont worry anybody I am not actually going to try and do anything that I think would be against the spirit of the rules. EI I wont try to give my heir a greater bonus than Bjørn has said he wishes the heir to get. I just dont like that the only options you have is marriage with a high blooded or give your realm a disadvantage when you retire.

X-Tuornen/LF (Geir):

--- Quote from: Illien & PCE/GeM (Linde) on April 01, 2009, 12:43:27 AM ---I just dont like that the only options you have is marriage with a high blooded or give your realm a disadvantage when you retire.

--- End quote ---

But was that not the historically correct presumption for medieval Europe?

Marry below your station and your family will suffer for it.

X-Roesone/ARR (Robert):
There is one problem with not letting a regent transfer his full bloodline to his heir. How would Avan and Boeruine maintain their great bloodlines? Who can they marry of high enough blood to keep it at 60+

X-Tuornen/LF (Geir):

--- Quote from: Roesone/ARR (Robert) on April 01, 2009, 01:16:27 AM ---There is one problem with now letting a regent transfer his full bloodline to his heir. How would Avan and Boeruine maintain their great bloodlines? Who can they marry of high enough blood to keep it at 60+

--- End quote ---
Ok,

So if you have 70 BS

You marry a nice babe with 40 BS

You kid gets a 55 BS

The kid gets loads of RP presents from friends and family, get to be baron at his 18 birthday,

Dadys advisors see to all that is needed and every odd season there is the celebration as another BP is added.

When dady is old the kid is at 15 more then he was born with, 70 BS….

40 BS is not all that uncommon is it?

A great house would make sure there is an ample supply of nice babes with 40 BS….

X-DM Jon:

--- Quote from: Illien & PCE/GeM (Linde) on March 31, 2009, 11:51:28 PM ---Regarding heirs:
Why would you want to give your bloodline to an heir? The difrence of +4  BS is hardly going to make or break a realm. It is surely nothing that a good economy couldn't compensate for so why not leave your heir 50 extra gold bars and keep your blood abilities for yourself. And in a year he can have raised his BS as much as you could have for him.

--- End quote ---

Because parents usually do irrational things for their children :) And any advantage, regardless of how minor it may seem, is better than no advantage at all ;)

--- Quote from: Illien & PCE/GeM (Linde) on March 31, 2009, 11:51:28 PM ---Better yet.. If you are set on loosing your blood then transfere all your holdings exept for one to him and swear vasalage to him. Then reduce your bloodline each turn to grant him insane tribute of regency untill you are unblooded.

--- End quote ---

Again.. if only our characters had access to the BR rulebook  ;D

--- End quote ---

Passing bloodlines on is just an additional bonus of creating an heir. The main point is to avoid civil war and instability that follows from having no heir. Transference of bloodline is actually quite rare.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version