Author Topic: OoC Mirror: Brigands of Thoralinar - turn #63  (Read 15823 times)

Offline X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper)

• Sovereign
  • Regency: 18
  • Pontiff Wallac Isilviere, High Prefect of the IHH
Re: OoC Mirror: Brigands of Thoralinar - turn #63
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2009, 12:33:32 AM »
That was more or less what I tried to imply with the " ::)"
His Holiness Wallac Isilviere, Pontiff of All Anuire, High Prefect of the Impregnable Heart of Haelyn

Offline X-Tornilen/SM (Alexander)

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Regency: 22
  • Duchess Marya Tanar
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2009, 02:00:09 AM »
As far as I understand we are not using the battlemagic rules (0th level realm spells), if we are using those, she will not attach herself to the archers but instead bombard the enemy. Otherwise, just stick with the archers and fling lightning bolts and fireballs.

What is the difference between 'bombard the enemy' and 'fling lightning bolts'? Just use some good descriptions of how you are using your magic powers.

There is a big difference between sticking with the archers - casting fireballs and lightning bolts; and not joining a unit and instead casting level 0 battlespells, which is what the question was about. One option provides a unit with +2 attack, morale and +1 defence. The other option does not boost any unit, but instead maximises destruction. I wanted to know if I had the option of maximizing destruction :)

The truth is somewhere in between, as far as I understood Jon. Apparantly a caster can attatch herself to a unit and also do additional damage through her spellcasting - doing a few hits here and there. Not what is in the guide, but a good middle route I think. I dunno if this is a general rule or just what's being used for this war move until the Regent Guide is finished on the subject.

I'll admit that my descriptions aren't very colorful at the moment, that is on purpose though. I want to get my posts up asap, as we need to finish this... in 22 hours. Colorful takes more time for me to write, so right now expedience takes priority.
Marya Tanar, The Sword Mage
Duchess and Mage of Tornilen

Offline X-DM Jon

• Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Regency: 21
  • Slide
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2009, 03:41:46 AM »
You'll have to choose either one or the other. Joining a unit takes all your attention, whilst casting battle spells does the same.
 You can attach and detach yourself to a unit each battle round however, but once attached, you can't cast spells.

Offline X-Ghieste & HOT/GH (Matt)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 38
  • Duke Ghorien Hiriele of Ghieste, Guilder of H/OT
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2009, 08:57:48 AM »
I'm not sure the HOT does righteous judgement.  I think we'll just go for "Matt's judgement" and be done.  Leaves a lot more room for him to work in.  :)

I am very sure that in Ghorien's opinion his "judgement" is entirely "righteous" - how others would view it though is an entirely a different matter...

And yes Bobby, that does leave Ghorien a lot more room to work with  ;D
His Grace Ghorien Hiriele,
Duke of Ghieste,
Grand-Maester of the Highland/Overland Traders,
Viscount of Whyrthe.
Down Right Evil Bastard!

Offline X-Tornilen/SM (Alexander)

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Duchess Marya Tanar
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2009, 11:43:08 AM »
Ah, I misunderstood you then. Consider the swordmage detatched from the unit then :)
Marya Tanar, The Sword Mage
Duchess and Mage of Tornilen

Offline X-DM Jon

• Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Slide
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2009, 02:41:31 PM »
Ah, I misunderstood you then. Consider the swordmage detatched from the unit then :)

You're obviously still allowed to cast your spells from the protection of a unit.

Offline X-Medoere & RCS/KE (Thorsten)

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2009, 04:06:22 PM »

On hearing of the giant figure they are to face the Duke has also made sure of the deployment of lassos and nets within his ranks to allow for the taking of the "invincible" figure without having to pernetrate his hide.

Interesting... I hope your troops are better with a lasso, than I am.  ;)

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2009, 05:32:46 PM »
As I understand it, you're taking the Battle of the Barisen Hill to a new level, by doing it on a smaller scale, but just to add to the flavour, the enemy now has a fortified position on top of the hill?...

It takes some cajones, I'll give you that :P

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2009, 05:49:02 PM »
Not quite. I would have not considered the troops we are against anything like as heavy as the Boer's army and the posiiton itself is a settlement in a valley with some ditchs and banks rather than a nasty hill.
Duke of Ghieste,
Viscount of Whyrthe.
Down Right Evil Bastard!

Offline X-DM Jon

• Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Slide
« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2009, 06:21:46 PM »
Not quite. I would have not considered the troops we are against anything like as heavy as the Boer's army and the posiiton itself is a settlement in a valley with some ditchs and banks rather than a nasty hill.

Not a hilltop certainly. But on the slopes of one of the hillsides.

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2009, 06:37:07 PM »
Actually, I think taking a hill is easier, than taking a fortified position (sloped or not).
Fighting against a defended position isn't all that good... not only will you be denied the ability to charge, but while you try to engage the enemy, they will get free AoA against you (and I noticed that the enemy seemed to have quite an amount of ranged capabilities.  ;))

The thing you have in your favour are armoured troops and the swordmage. And it seems one of those just got cancelled.  ;D

Anticipating your next move!  :D

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2009, 06:51:00 PM »
Always amused me about that in wargames and thh such like - the charge is so often seen as a deciding piece and heavily favoured by rules. Having fought a lot in live action, with battles of 1500 a side or so, it has always struck me that the charge for non mounted troops is no where near as important as the "push". The problem with the charge in infantry types is holding the formation and so often the formation and holding the line is the deciding factor. I have folded entire flanks back on my centre (yes I have commanded a number of these field engagments personally) in order to over extend and thin an enemies ranks before counterattacking with my now cohesive block... :)
Duke of Ghieste,
Viscount of Whyrthe.
Down Right Evil Bastard!

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2009, 07:02:53 PM »
It's funny... I've tried something similar, and always found morale to be the determening thing (although this may come form the "troops" being normal humans with little training). I agree, foot-troops charging is not that conflict-winning... the thunderous hooves of dozens of cavalry a completely different thing.

Yeah, the push is determining, but a well placed flank-charge (with lots of noise to follow) can break the enemies ranks more easily... that, the death of the leader or removal of standards (as they resemble more than just pieces of cloth to many people in the conflict).

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2009, 07:06:51 PM »
I must just inspire excellent morale (or fear) in my troops - I have never lost a command on the field, when playing as a PC or as an NPC.

That or just lucky!  ;D
Duke of Ghieste,
Viscount of Whyrthe.
Down Right Evil Bastard!

• Former players
  • Regent