Author Topic: Mirror: Agenda's commentary and discussion  (Read 3483 times)

Offline X-Haelyn's Aegis/RK (Andy)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 42
Mirror: Agenda's commentary and discussion
« on: May 25, 2013, 08:01:15 PM »
OK, I admit it, Maire took in Robhan hook line and sinker.  He thought that she was a nice girl ;-)  That was in part deliberate on my part, I thought it would be more fun to keep Robhan impulsive and emotional in some areas even though I made him calmer and more rational in others, but I confess I had no idea that she was into the world domination game.

Robhan was working on the legitimacy point after the surprise of the whole immaculate conception issue (as far as he knew) but progress was indeterminate.

PETG's set-em-up and knock-em-down approach to agenda's is very impressive, though the halfling guild was still in progress in my view ;-)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 08:13:21 PM by Haelyn's Aegis/RK (Andy) »
Robhan Khaiarén
High Marshal of Haelyn's Aegis
Work hard, walk with honour, be justly rewarded

• Former players
  • Regent
Re: Mirror: Agenda's commentary and discussion
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2013, 09:36:03 PM »
Garth, I''m starting to realise why distrust of the clergy is so endemic amongst the nobles in RoE...
Robhan Khaiarén

Offline X-OIT (Garth)

• Former players
  • Hero
  • Regency: 3
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 05:04:59 AM »
I suspect that the OIT player's secrets were not updated for some time, and by researching the previous OIT players, my guess is that there weren't a lot of agenda-motivated decisions.  It didn't look like many change agenda actions either.  I have an agenda suggestion:  Recover the Book of Law.

If the OIT wasn't recovering from numerous problems that needed attention, I was about to start changing agendas to root out the murderer of my lieutenant. (which required my lower level regent to cast more than two bless spells to cover Diemed; I could have used a domain power based caster level)

The next turn was about to see the beginning of a new inquisition (at home and abroad ;)), and if my suspicions were right, I think it would have led me all the way to the artist formerly known as Pontiff. 8) He was either insane or corrupted by the shadow, and I'm sure that I could have created enough evidence in favor of the latter.

. . . what could have been.

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 01:52:50 PM »
If the OIT wasn't recovering from numerous problems that needed attention, I was about to start changing agendas to root out the murderer of my lieutenant. (which required my lower level regent to cast more than two bless spells to cover Diemed; I could have used a domain power based caster level) 

Every temple could have used a lieutenant who could cast realm spells, unfortunately it was effectively impossible given the DC to recruit one and there was no clear path to building one up.  The only solution was story-based which was somewhat unsatisfying.  My attempt to move towards a looey who could cast bless for me ended when they got eaten by a vampire on their first "do something to gain status/xp/etc action".  I feel marginally guilty for forgetting to tell Even that I'd found evidence of vampires in one of his temples as a result of that one.

The next turn was about to see the beginning of a new inquisition (at home and abroad ;)), and if my suspicions were right, I think it would have led me all the way to the artist formerly known as Pontiff. 8) He was either insane or corrupted by the shadow, and I'm sure that I could have created enough evidence in favor of the latter.

Wallac went off the rails towards the end, albeit with much help from the Conclave.  I wasn't sure if he'd come back from the crusade as a conquering hero demanding fealty or simply not come back at all.
Robhan Khaiarén

Offline X-ETN/Maire Cwyllmie (Libor)

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Regency: 12
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 09:47:32 PM »
OK, I admit it, Maire took in Robhan hook line and sinker.  He thought that she was a nice girl ;-)  That was in part deliberate on my part, I thought it would be more fun to keep Robhan impulsive and emotional in some areas even though I made him calmer and more rational in others, but I confess I had no idea that she was into the world domination game.

I apologize for abusing nice guy Robhan in my lowly scheme. The temptation was too strong, he was such an inviting victim :)  On the other hand you can view it as an opportunity to put Khairren blood on the throne of Aerenwe in next generation ;)

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 10:46:32 PM »

I apologize for abusing nice guy Robhan in my lowly scheme. The temptation was too strong, he was such an inviting victim :)  On the other hand you can view it as an opportunity to put Khairren blood on the throne of Aerenwe in next generation ;)

Whatever came out of Aerenwe's slaughter-fest ;-)  Still it was fun playing him as the loyal knight champion, I figured that as a younger brother turned paladin he didn't get the experience with women that might have protected him there.  Still, small thanks for him carrying Maire off the mountain!
Robhan Khaiarén

Offline X-Avanil/Aubrae Avan (Thorsten)

• Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Regency: 35
  • Princess Aubrae Avan
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2013, 12:37:43 PM »
Major 2 - (developed in play) Gain recognition as a Noble. Ghorien was well on the way to this one it seemed and a decent marriage would secure it for him whcih would hopefully have happened in the next couple of turns. He did not consider the Sword Mage an appropriate match :)

Matt, I would probably both have seen you wed and granted you lands to repay things as Aubrae initially discussed (thus fulfilling that agenda). I would also have made sure, that that wife and those lands would have been on the border to Boeruine-occupied Taeghas, and would be assaulted (by wicked wicked Boeruineans under the sway of Aubrae's arcane arts) the very moment Ghoerean troops arrived to safeguard it. I needed you (and your war-coffers) invested in that war so deeply that you wouldn't be able to entangle yourself easily. It was also the best way to ensure your daggers weren't pointing (solely at least) at me.
Aubrae Avan,
Princess of Avanil, Duchess of Taeghas

Diplomacy is the art of letting someone else have your way.

Offline X-Ghieste & HOT/GH (Matt)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 38
  • Duke Ghorien Hiriele of Ghieste, Guilder of H/OT
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2013, 01:11:42 PM »
Sadly Thorsten Ghorien was all for it - he was empire building and quite fancied being the right hand brutal go to man for the Princess - it seemed like an excellent option ;)
His Grace Ghorien Hiriele,
Duke of Ghieste,
Grand-Maester of the Highland/Overland Traders,
Viscount of Whyrthe.
Down Right Evil Bastard!

• Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Princess Aubrae Avan
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2013, 01:21:52 PM »
Sadly? It's perfect! If Ghorien wants to put himself in between the Princess and hordes of raging westerners, Aubrae won't stop him! :P
Aubrae Avan,

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2013, 01:24:46 PM »
It would mean The Princess would have to deal/talk/be bored by WO but GH thought she would put up with that to get his military and financial aid. All while he expanded his network of trained killers :)
Duke of Ghieste,
Viscount of Whyrthe.
Down Right Evil Bastard!

Offline X-Bellam & BC/TB (Bobby)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 33
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2013, 02:44:07 AM »
Ok, Matt and Thor - how the HECK did you two wind up over by Aerenwe right at that moment?  The timing was remarkable.  And remarkably frustrating.  I go to all that effort to get ONE powerful warmongering lord involved on my side (or at least his less-ethical wife, which was almost as good), and I wind up with TWO of them showing up on the other side.  Rarrgh!

• Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Princess Aubrae Avan
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2013, 10:02:56 AM »
Well that's the thing about having a lot of active military units. Doesn't take too long to set them running. And I did, the moment I got wind of what was going on over there.

It took a bit of behind-the-scenes maneuvering. Notably I sent my men marching before even asking permission to go through Diemed, Ghieste and Roesone (although I had little worries about going through Ghieste seeing as how our armies had worked together for some time). I also only sent five units of dragoons and outriders, because speed was of the essence (although it should be noted that I did muster 5 units of mercenaries in Roesone, who went under the Crown Regents command). Matt provided the bulk of troops at my insistence. I also pushed my men enough so that all five units where Weary the time they arrived. A forced march across the breadth of Anuire. I would have gotten there sooner as well, if not for Baron Geren of Diemed who refused me entry, despite Diem himself giving the a-okay for it.

It will perhaps amuse you (or perhaps not) that I started moving when this was still just a rebellion (ie. an internal matter), and before it was really known if anyone else was behind the coup. I simply assumed that someone was manipulating the scene, and moved to prevent it. At this point orders to my troops where rather simple; seeing as horses are unsuited for climbing walls, my men where really only there to hold the Banner of Avanil up high, and "demand the surrender of the 'rebel scum'" (direct quote from my letter to Bjørn).

When it came to light who where actually behind it, things got a bit more urgent. I couldn't allow the east to grow any stronger, and I most certainly could not allow Osoer to gain Aerenwe as a puppet-state, so I needed to do *something*, and fast. Actually I had hoped to catch you up against Aerenwe's walls so that we might engage in proper dialogue on my terms, rather than with you lot hiding behind castle walls, but that didn't happen.

A lot of what I did, I did based on the assumption that Osoer didn't want to start a large scale war in Anuire. Especially with his operations in the far east, and with Ghieste's holdings spread all over his back yard, not to mention Avanese cavalry at his doorstep, eager to plunder. It'd mean a huge drop in stability and for the Merchant Prince of Osoerde I deemed that enough of a threat to work in my favor. We'd of course stomp around a bit, heckle each other with thinly veiled insults and then sit down around a table to find a solution that would be "for the good of Aerenwe". Basically as I see it, it would have amounted to something like "pull your men out of Aerenwe, allow us to deal with the rebels here and in turn Avanil will assist you in the east" (I had plans to do so anyway - couldn't let Osoer hog all of that glory).

Of course had the queen been alive still following this, I would likely have tried to press her into vassalage myself, seeing as how I was so kind to save her, and how the army of me and my allies outnumbered hers and would possibly be stationed inside her walls.

But in all honesty I just wanted to meddle. I wanted Avanil's political AND military reach to go from coast to coast and for people to know, and this was as good a way to show it as any. I merely capitalized on an opportunity and browbeat others into following me. (Some, like Ghieste, didn't need much persuasion in this area. I think Matt's been looking for a reason to mess with the east since he discovered just how many irregulars he could muster in Osoerde in one turn  :D)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 10:08:16 AM by Avanil/Aubrae Avan (Thorsten) »
Aubrae Avan,

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
  • Regency: 51
    • Twilightpeaks.net - Hone of Ruins of Empire
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2013, 10:07:39 AM »
With allies like Avanil, who needs enemies!? :D
DM Bjørn

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2013, 10:11:11 AM »
Thor and I often giggled ourselves to sleep about how many troops I could raise in a turn :)
Duke of Ghieste,
Viscount of Whyrthe.
Down Right Evil Bastard!

• Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Princess Aubrae Avan
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2013, 10:14:23 AM »
Thor and I often giggled ourselves to sleep about how many troops I could raise in a turn :)

Although my giggles where laced with a tiny hint of panic at times. No common-born thug and (rumoured) assassin should have that many war-oriented resources at hand.
Aubrae Avan,