Author Topic: Follow up on ROE Online - The Programming Effort  (Read 5571 times)

Offline X-DM Jon

• Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Regency: 21
  • Slide
Re: Follow up on ROE Online - The Programming Effort
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2011, 08:31:32 PM »
Thanks for the welcome.

I think it would be fun and beneficial to the development effort. The issue is time. On average how much time is spent as a player per turn?

I guess it really depends on your position in the game and style... We're running a fairly email heavy Pbem, so a lot of the players plot and scheme back n' forth. There are a few who run a more withdrawn game, usually concentrating on the DO's. But if you want the full package you're probably looking at several hours a week, for some of us even each day :)

Offline X-Elinie/RiD (Niels)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 19
  • Formerly Star of the East
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2011, 10:16:35 PM »
Just a little note here.

The whole Regent Guide, our resident rulebook, is in ODF format.

I've opened it and simply saved it as HTML.

This creates a library that around 20 mbs large, zipped, but the feel when using it is just awesome.

I'm going to slice it into pieces and have found the SRD 3.5. rule set online as well.

To begin with, and my lacking routine, I'll be pouring in stuff to the existing framework. Once that has been done, I'll clean out all the stuff that is not mine.

This is not the "right" way to do it, but its how I can get it done. - Any way, once done this can become some added pages somewhere here or in our project. The pages should probably be put into a database and stuff to be modern, but simple html is what I got. :-)
Formerly: His Grace, Patriarch Rashid ibn Daouta, Last Imperial Duke of the Eastern Marches, Duke of Elinie, Master of Sutren Hills, Holy Paladin of Avanalae, Light of Reason.

Offline X-Sea Witch/Aneira (John)

• Former players
  • Hero
  • Regency: 3
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2011, 12:00:04 AM »
A friend of mine (Michael) developed an app to assist with turn processing, wherein players fill in an online form and press the submit button, sending their turn submmission off to the DM.  If you want to take a look at it, the app can be downloaded here: http://lighteffect.net/apps/BRCSv284.zip

Unfortunately this is the runtime version so you can't see the underpinning workings (which Michael tells me is a good thing because they're an embarrassing mess).  He has started writing a brand new app with php and mysql but admits to getting side-tracked and not having done any work on it for a while.

He's happy to share the app and have people use it.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 01:16:01 AM by Sea Witch/Aneira (John) »
Aneira Taren, Sea Witch of the South Coast.

Offline Davout

• Lurkers
  • Freeman
  • Regency: 3
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2011, 07:54:56 AM »
John,

Thanks.
He has started writing a brand new app with php and mysql but admits to getting side-tracked and not having done any work on it for a while.

He's happy to share the app and have people use it.
Yes I would like to take a look at it.

which Michael tells me is a good thing because they're an embarrassing mess

Hey I understand. Been there, done that.