Author Topic: Follow up on ROE Online - The Programming Effort  (Read 5567 times)

Offline Davout

• Lurkers
  • Freeman
  • Regency: 3
Follow up on ROE Online - The Programming Effort
« on: January 14, 2011, 04:39:33 AM »
Greetings everyone,

First let me introduce myself. My internet name is Louis Davout and I live in Indiana USA. I've played RPGs and wargames on and off (mostly off lately) since 1980 and 1977 respectfully. Birthright has always fascinated me, having purchased it when it first came out. I have had a recent desire to start a new campaign. Unfortunately, running such a campaign is very time consuming. Software to manage much of it would be a most wondrous thing. So my first step was to search to see if anyone else has started anything. I am aware of BirMail but won't my needs. Now I have come across the http://twilightpeaks.net/forum/index.php?topic=998.msg11203#msg11203 which as definitely piqued my interest.

My name is Louis the Shrubber the software developer. I arrange, design, and sell applications.

I am a professional software developer. Currently I work with:

Object Oriented Programming
PHP 5
Mysql 5
Zend Framework
Doctrine ORM
PHPUnit

My particular skills focus on the Model and Controller end of the MVC - in other words the behind the scenes stuff. You don't want me designing interface.

So I ask has anything been done since the post I mentioned was posted?

In either case I would like to provide my assistance.

Please let me know.

Thanks

Louis.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 04:46:50 AM by Davout »

Offline X-Elinie/RiD (Niels)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 19
  • Formerly Star of the East
Re: Follow up on ROE Online - The Programming Effort
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 08:04:06 AM »
Hello and welcome!

Well, beyond the initial thoughts and the general brainstorming, the project has been sitting for awhile.

We have an excel sheet which we call "Provinces and Holdings" which is a database that gives an instant overview of regency and tax income, as well as holding spread and ownership.

When we plan a new turn, we do so in a second excel document called a "Domain Order", where the players, for a single specific document, enter the actions they are performing that turn.

This is then submitted to the GM for processing and implementing into next turns Provinces and Holdings.

The most obvious task for developing would be creating the required tables to contain these two documents and merge new turn orders automatically with the world document.

Graphics and world maps, army moves etc. is secondary to this core functionality, at least in my mind.

For the GM, planning turns for the NPC realms should be quick and easy, perhaps by a bulk editing module or through direct table access in a certain view.
Formerly: His Grace, Patriarch Rashid ibn Daouta, Last Imperial Duke of the Eastern Marches, Duke of Elinie, Master of Sutren Hills, Holy Paladin of Avanalae, Light of Reason.

Offline Davout

• Lurkers
  • Freeman
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 09:11:25 AM »
Thanks for the reply. Question, can the application be web based? Not necessarily online. The GM could use on his own computer provided he has PHP/MySql on his computer - which is easy enough with XAMP or MAMP.

I ask since I my expertise is in web applications.

Another question is the app to be open source or not. I don't care one way or another. But it will affect where we could put the code repository and feature/issue tracker.   

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 02:07:36 PM »
This would be just my personal opinion, but I find it hard to defend that the project should be proprietary as it is developed openly between volunteers.

Of course, everything in moderation. If the burden is shouldered entirely by very few individuals, then it'll be up to those to decide which is better in the long term.
Formerly: His Grace, Patriarch Rashid ibn Daouta, Last Imperial Duke of the Eastern Marches, Duke of Elinie, Master of Sutren Hills, Holy Paladin of Avanalae, Light of Reason.

Offline Davout

• Lurkers
  • Freeman
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 03:06:55 PM »
Anyone have thoughts on the type of app? Web vs desktop?

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 07:33:45 PM »
All for web here. If the tool is online, accessible through a website, then it could, eventually, run entire campaigns at near automated settings. - Each turn processed once a week, certain events that are on timed realm triggers... a few random schemes and presto. But thats getting ahead of where we are. :-)

Offline X-Haelyn's Aegis/RK (Andy)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 42
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2011, 09:06:41 PM »
Although RoE uses a different ruleset, if you look on BR.net you'll find some of the members are putting their own system together at present - I'd expect some sort of overlap between databases would be possible even if some  other rules were different.
Robhan Khaiarén
High Marshal of Haelyn's Aegis
Work hard, walk with honour, be justly rewarded

Offline Davout

• Lurkers
  • Freeman
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2011, 10:44:14 PM »
Yes I saw that. However I have been unable to register on that site. I've tried over this past week. I even contacted the admin. I got a response but now the site seems to be down. Anyone already registered?

Although RoE uses a different ruleset, if you look on BR.net you'll find some of the members are putting their own system together at present - I'd expect some sort of overlap between databases would be possible even if some  other rules were different.

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2011, 12:43:08 AM »
Well... Ideally the setup we build here will be flexible enough to contain any version of BR.

There will be bits that are infrastructure, that will be common across all BR games, and even a few non-BR games. - And then there will be the databases of "stuff" that is used by the system and the "rules" applied when using them.

If we keep the system tidy, and resist the urge to mix rules elements with world elements, then we can get something really amazing.

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2011, 04:52:34 PM »
Yes I saw that. However I have been unable to register on that site. I've tried over this past week. I even contacted the admin. I got a response but now the site seems to be down. Anyone already registered?

Hmm, seems to be working for me.  Mirviriam seems to be running the design work -

Instant Messaging addresses per his user page:

Send an Instant Message to Mirviriam Using...

* Send a message via MSN to Mirviriam MSN theraptor_man@Hotmail.com
    * Send a message via AIM to Mirviriam AIM lestorlizard

Robhan Khaiarén

Offline Davout

• Lurkers
  • Freeman
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2011, 06:37:15 PM »
Hmm, seems to be working for me.

Did you already have an account? When I try to register (I don't have an account yet) I get an error message.

Thanks for contact info.

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2011, 10:53:24 PM »
Hmm, seems to be working for me.

Did you already have an account? When I try to register (I don't have an account yet) I get an error message.

Thanks for contact info.

I did have an account yes, I'll ask Arjan if there is a bug.
Robhan Khaiarén

Offline Davout

• Lurkers
  • Freeman
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2011, 12:25:27 AM »
He just sent me an email saying there was an issue.

Thanks.

Offline X-DM Jon

• Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Regency: 21
  • Slide
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2011, 01:11:02 PM »
Greetings everyone,

First let me introduce myself. My internet name is Louis Davout and I live in Indiana USA. I've played RPGs and wargames on and off (mostly off lately) since 1980 and 1977 respectfully. Birthright has always fascinated me, having purchased it when it first came out. I have had a recent desire to start a new campaign. Unfortunately, running such a campaign is very time consuming. Software to manage much of it would be a most wondrous thing. So my first step was to search to see if anyone else has started anything. I am aware of BirMail but won't my needs. Now I have come across the http://twilightpeaks.net/forum/index.php?topic=998.msg11203#msg11203 which as definitely piqued my interest.

My name is Louis the Shrubber the software developer. I arrange, design, and sell applications.

I am a professional software developer. Currently I work with:

Object Oriented Programming
PHP 5
Mysql 5
Zend Framework
Doctrine ORM
PHPUnit

My particular skills focus on the Model and Controller end of the MVC - in other words the behind the scenes stuff. You don't want me designing interface.

So I ask has anything been done since the post I mentioned was posted?

In either case I would like to provide my assistance.

Please let me know.

Thanks

Louis.

Welcome in our game :)
Good to see a man with a plan! Maybe you'd even consider joining our fair game? There's a few open domains for the connoisseur.

Offline Davout

• Lurkers
  • Freeman
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2011, 08:18:57 PM »
Thanks for the welcome.

I think it would be fun and beneficial to the development effort. The issue is time. On average how much time is spent as a player per turn?