RoE Development > Regent Guide

Hire Help

(1/7) > >>

Yggdrasil (DM Andy):
OK, Bobby's workshop is now open...

My thoughts:  The core problem is in relation to the very high DC hires, where in practice the issue is trying to hire a lieutenant / other key person in one action - it is inherently something that should be done in several stages.

So:
1. Identify the problem - and convince the domain of the need.
2. Find a pool of potential recruits
3. Recruit selected person into an outer position
4. Move person up a tier action by action until they are where you want/need them
5. Hope that they stay there.

Even where the recruitment is internal - which should be fairly commonplace, you are still moving someone from local notable to domain-wide power-player, so a series of actions seems reasonable.

You wouldn't need each stage to be separate for many hires, and a lot of the time you might get an option come out of an adventure, or other domain play which reveals someone who might be great, or gives you a way to approach someone, etc.

A lieutenant's support gives +2 (usually), so I'd expect that on any given action a bonus of -5 to +5 could be expected from role-play, but I'd be happy to be proven wrong by an act of genius - or genius-level insanity.

Ruideside/OM (RP):
That makes sense, after all a Lieutenant is somebody who is empowered to speak for you, so presumably he/she would be somebody you have taken time to get to know and trust, not just someone who happened to see a "help wanted" poster down by the docks.

Yggdrasil (DM Andy):
If you are after an expert one action should suffice, it's only the "specials" who don't work in the written system, and from comments what was actually done was the spark (diplo, adventure, etc) followed by several actions.

I'd allow for a high roll achieving more than one stage, and a low roll getting someone good on paper but possibly with problems, a regent should however always be able to get somebody, it's somebody right that's the hard one (particularly for people with rare talents).

Some degree of fluffiness from DM's will always be necessary, and I'd rather avoid "I need 18+ to get them rolls" as that encourages multiple 1 gb/1RP lottery tickets rather than a solid plan which would be roll-play rather than role-play.

Talinie & NIT/TD (Linde):
Well. I for one find the rules for what you can ask for murky...
The power of your hired help, seems largely to depend on what skills you say he have and your reason for him knowing those skills. And while description should give a bonus it should either enable you to talk the power of the character up, or be a modifier on the DAC, not sometimes one, sometimes the other and possibly both.

Here is a way the rules could be more clear:

Base DDC 5.
For that you get a low level character proficient in one skill

per level increment added + 3 DDC (medium, high)

One skill (proficient) added +1 DDC. Seccond +2 and so on

Skill upgraded from proficient to skilled. +1DDC for the first, +2 and so on

Skill upgraded from skilled to expert +2DDC for the first, +3 for the seccond and so on

Skill upgraded from expert to master + 3DDC for the first, +4 for the seccond and so on.

Realm magic ability: +3DDC per caster lvl

Bloodline +5DDC per step of strength (weak, minor... and so on)

All DDC increases are cumulative.

So a medium lvl unblooded character with 1 skill(skilled) and one skilled(master), unable to cast realm magic would be DDC 17
(Base 5 + 3[lvl] + 1 [skill added] + 8 [Skills upgraded])

This kind of hard number DDC would be more clear. And would eliminate doubt about what you can expect your hired help to do if you succeed your action.
But I don't know if it will solve anything except giving us number trolls peace of mind.

A way to solve the problem of trying to pull powerful characters out of thin air could be to set a time factor(5 times the DDC for instance)
A failed roll gives you your DAC modified result in progress towards getting the character. When you reach the time factor you get the character,  and obviously a successful result gives you the character as well.
(if a player then tries to hire a character who is not available in the setting then the DM can explain that when the first action fail and where little resources are lost)
This approach will make Hail Mary attempts at getting 18 on the dice less attractive if you need a helper right now.

Hope my thoughts can help

Stjordvik/Varri (Greg):
Interesting discussion and proposals here.  I am not a math head, but conceptually (numbers aside) I like what is being suggested.  I could live with the current method, but It seems such a system as put forth would be an improvement, though without an example it might be difficult for the first timer to decipher, so defintely include an example and/or a table for reference.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version