Author Topic: The 600 lb. Gorilla  (Read 3532 times)

Offline Ruideside/OM (RP)

• Otmar Messer, Lord-Commander, etc., etc., etc.
  • RoE3 (Rjurik)
  • Noble
  • Regency: 7
  • Come let us discuss this...
    • Bob's Worlds
The 600 lb. Gorilla
« on: September 15, 2013, 08:04:30 PM »
Well it has been over three weeks since we last heard from Matt, and it was a month before that that he last posted, so it is becoming apparent that he isn't in a position to run ROE III, so the question is - what do we do?

My suggestion is that rather than just sit in limbo indefinitely, Andy just proceed with the setup and development of things so we can get everything finalized and ready to go if and when he does return.
By the Grace of My Own Right Hand, Lord Commander of the Federated Free Companies, Governor-General of the Ruideside, Marshal of the Realm, and Captain-General of the Brethren of  the Black Flag.

My Tollanar blog: https://bobsworlds.wordpress.com/

"If reason won't work - try violence"

Offline Yggdrasil (DM Andy)

• Demigod
  • Sovereign
  • Regency: 2
Re: The 600 lb. Gorilla
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 10:04:32 PM »
It's only 600 LB?

It's a point that's been weighing increasingly heavily on me - there's only so long I can work on the P&H, draft goals, powers, etc without some guidance from a lead DM.

I'll mail him and see if he responds.  :(
Sometimes the gods are neither subtle nor slow to anger

• RoE3 (Rjurik)
  • Noble
    • Bob's Worlds
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 02:45:10 AM »
Well you're right. 800 lbs minimum. ;)
If he doesn't respond then I say just make the decisions and let's get this thing moving forward.
By the Grace of My Own Right Hand, Lord Commander of the Federated Free Companies, Governor-General of the Ruideside, Marshal of the Realm, and Captain-General of the Brethren of  the Black Flag.

Offline X-CJS/Ruormad Coumain (Tristan)

• Former players
  • Scion
  • Regency: 10
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 02:51:25 AM »
I'm in favor of having things move forward (even if I don't have a domain to play) simply because if things stall too long you shed good players and lose enthusiasm for the game (that I love).
Most Sacred Broker Ruormad Coumain, Patriach of the Celestial Jewel of Sarimie.
The wise man invests in times of plenty to ensure plenty in times of hardship.

Offline Lurk Skywalker

• Senior Lurker
  • Champion of Chaos
  • Scion
  • Regency: 4
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 12:41:59 PM »
So would I.
Assuming Andy would jump into the hot seat, is it realistic to have such a campaign run by only one DM?

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
  • Regency: 51
    • Twilightpeaks.net - Hone of Ruins of Empire
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2013, 02:47:31 PM »
Realistic? Depends. I have years and years of experience running RoE single-handedly. But it is just so much work! And if something happens in RL to distract the sole DM you get all sorts of trouble.
DM Bjørn

• RoE3 (Rjurik)
  • Noble
    • Bob's Worlds
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2013, 03:46:41 PM »
Well at this point I am not asking him to do so, I am asking that he make some decisions so we can get onto the next phase of getting the game ready.

We can have the domains finalized, the characters done, and everything ready to go, and if any of it seriously screws with something Matt had in mind then that particular detail can be fixed but the rest of it will stand.

By then, or ideally before then, Matt will hopefully be in a position to step back into the main DM role then, but if not we can decide how to proceed, but that seems to me to be a more useful course of action than sitting around waiting for Matt when he clearly has no time at the moment to devote to RoE. That is, after all, the whole point of having more than one DM, right?

Offline Lurk Skywalker

• Senior Lurker
  • Champion of Chaos
  • Scion
  • Regency: 4
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2013, 03:59:18 PM »
Well at this point I am not asking him to do so, I am asking that he make some decisions so we can get onto the next phase of getting the game ready.

We can have the domains finalized, the characters done, and everything ready to go, and if any of it seriously screws with something Matt had in mind then that particular detail can be fixed but the rest of it will stand.

By then, or ideally before then, Matt will hopefully be in a position to step back into the main DM role then, but if not we can decide how to proceed, but that seems to me to be a more useful course of action than sitting around waiting for Matt when he clearly has no time at the moment to devote to RoE. That is, after all, the whole point of having more than one DM, right?

Sound reasoning.

• RoE3 (Rjurik)
  • Noble
    • Bob's Worlds
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2013, 05:10:59 PM »
And people like you can be assigned those domains where players have dropped out, or who have not even submitted their domain descriptions.

Offline Yggdrasil (DM Andy)

• Demigod
  • Sovereign
  • Regency: 2
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2013, 10:05:52 PM »
Matt gets the redundancy news on wednesday, one way or the other that tells him what sort of time he has available.

On hot seat, I'm happy to support a DM, but I've never run a PBeM - and am keenly aware that the level of time commitment involved is beyond me not to mention various other qualities :(

Sometimes the gods are neither subtle nor slow to anger

• RoE3 (Rjurik)
  • Noble
    • Bob's Worlds
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2013, 10:09:35 PM »
OK, so we should have some sort of info to go with shortly. Great.