Author Topic: Chapter 4: The Domain Turn  (Read 17867 times)

Offline Stjordvik/Varri (Greg)

• Varri Haraldsson
  • RoE3 (Rjurik)
  • Scion
  • Regency: 1
  • Of the crown by the bondi
Re: Chapter 4: The Domain Turn
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2013, 03:41:30 AM »
Adepts clearly have an advantage by getting two full regency gain domains, when all of the other NPC classes get only one. Seems a bit out of balance, unless there is something offsetting that I am missing?

In looking at TABLE 4-5: CHARACTER CLASSES AND DOMAIN POWER, something that has always bothered me is why most PC classes add up to "2", while Wizards and Sorcerers add up to 1.5, and Druids add up to 2.5?  Again, it seems out of balance, unless there is something offsetting that I am missing?

It also seems that the reference to multiclass XP penalty in calculating regency is now outdated vs. 3.5+ rules.

I would suggest that at some point, re-look at Table 4-5 with the 3.5 (or Pathfinder) rules in mind, and maybe reallocate some of the domains with the classes.  Or, knowing you guys, you probably already have done that!

Just my 2 cents,
Greg

Varri Haraldsson,
King of Stjordvikers

"Of the crown by the bondi"

Offline X-Points East

• Grand-Maester of the P&H
  • Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 15
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2013, 05:07:10 AM »

Adepts clearly have an advantage by getting two full regency gain domains, when all of the other NPC classes get only one. Seems a bit out of balance, unless there is something offsetting that I am missing?

In looking at TABLE 4-5: CHARACTER CLASSES AND DOMAIN POWER, something that has always bothered me is why most PC classes add up to "2", while Wizards and Sorcerers add up to 1.5, and Druids add up to 2.5?  Again, it seems out of balance, unless there is something offsetting that I am missing?

It also seems that the reference to multiclass XP penalty in calculating regency is now outdated vs. 3.5+ rules.

I would suggest that at some point, re-look at Table 4-5 with the 3.5 (or Pathfinder) rules in mind, and maybe reallocate some of the domains with the classes.  Or, knowing you guys, you probably already have done that!

Just my 2 cents,
Greg

OoC:

A suggestion follows. . . .

Full Domain Power
Half Domain Power
Sorceror
Province & Source
Law & Guild
Wizard
Province & Source
Law & Manor
Druid
Province & Source
Law & Temple

. . . Also, relatedly, here is a quote from Regent Guide v.3.5 Draft 2.25:  "Elves can be druids, but do not rule any temples."

« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 12:00:13 AM by X-Points East »

Offline Talinie & NIT/TD (Linde)

• **-Thuriene Donalls-** Bearer of the Rose Scepter.
  • RoE3 (Rjurik)
  • Regent
  • Regency: 2
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2013, 05:09:48 AM »
I like that one.
Thuriene Donalls.
Thane of Talinie.
Supreme Hierarch of the Northern Imperial Temple of Haelyn.

"Those who hear the word of Haelyn and obey are like plants rooted in rich, fertile soil.
They will thrive, grow and be the most beautiful flowers in the garden of man."

Offline Yggdrasil (DM Andy)

• Demigod
  • Sovereign
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2013, 10:00:00 PM »
Thematically in the Highlands I'd see Druids as more likely to be full law and half source than the converse - but likely the reverse elsewhere in Cerilia.

I'm not sure why they are getting any source though, I have thought that they should have the same collection as other priests given the similarity in role.
Sometimes the gods are neither subtle nor slow to anger

Offline Ruideside/OM (RP)

• Otmar Messer, Lord-Commander, etc., etc., etc.
  • RoE3 (Rjurik)
  • Noble
  • Regency: 7
  • Come let us discuss this...
    • Bob's Worlds
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2013, 11:11:13 PM »
It reflects their connection with nature, since source is a measure of the unspoiled natural environment. It gives the player a non role-playing reason to behave like a druid.
By the Grace of My Own Right Hand, Lord Commander of the Federated Free Companies, Governor-General of the Ruideside, Marshal of the Realm, and Captain-General of the Brethren of  the Black Flag.

My Tollanar blog: https://bobsworlds.wordpress.com/

"If reason won't work - try violence"

Offline Ohlaak (Alan)

• RoE3 (Rjurik)
  • Sovereign
  • Regency: 3
  • The Dragon
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2013, 01:35:19 AM »
Thematically in the Highlands I'd see Druids as more likely to be full law and half source than the converse - but likely the reverse elsewhere in Cerilia.

I'm not sure why they are getting any source though, I have thought that they should have the same collection as other priests given the similarity in role.

Don't druids cast primordial magic?  I think this is why they get source access.

Offline Dhoesone/FD_(Marco)

• Poor little Regent in a big world and in a big game
  • RoE3 (Rjurik)
  • Noble
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2013, 01:56:47 PM »
IMO druids should gain full regency from law and sources and half from province and temple.
They are far more concerned about controlling the woods and the magical forces in those places than to be involved in ruling and in controlling the souls of the flock.
Fhiele Dhoesone, by the Grace of Haelyn Baroness of Dhoesone and Countess of Sonnelind
"You will make all kinds of mistakes; but as long as you are generous and true, and also fierce, you cannot hurt the world or even seriously distress her."

Offline Aeric (DM Matt)

• Demigod
  • Sovereign
  • Regency: 11
  • Bringing the evil into your lives
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2013, 02:10:00 PM »
Full regency from Law for Druids is just crazy to my mind.

Offline Stjordvik/Varri (Greg)

• Varri Haraldsson
  • RoE3 (Rjurik)
  • Scion
  • Regency: 1
  • Of the crown by the bondi
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2013, 03:10:06 PM »
Historically, even when the "real" druids were at the zenith of their "power", warlords, chieftains and/or kings still held much control (=law) over their people, and a case could easily be made that it was closer to zero than 50%.  Translating based on a fantasy interpretation of this historical perspective, their greatest areas of effect IMO would be 1) Temple and (in RoE game play), #2 could be Source (which could be 100% or 50%, depending on what you are trying to accomplish).  I think the real   For game play, 50% for Law seems plenty to me, but as stated earlier, if you go full temple, full source, half law, Druids are/would be the only class that gets/would get 2 full and 1 half.  All others add up to 2, excepts wizards and sorcerers who get 1.5, and from a game balance perspective this should also be considered, if not evened out here, then perhaps in other areas (as suggested on another thread).
Varri Haraldsson,
King of Stjordvikers

"Of the crown by the bondi"

Offline Yggdrasil (DM Andy)

• Demigod
  • Sovereign
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2013, 09:37:46 PM »
IMO druids should gain full regency from law and sources and half from province and temple.
They are far more concerned about controlling the woods and the magical forces in those places than to be involved in ruling and in controlling the souls of the flock.

druids, not necessarily Druids.  How anyone can look at the stranglehold the faith of Erik has on the Rjurik - dating back a thousand years - and tell me that those guys ignore their flock and political power amazes me.  They've kept out Haelyn, Nesirie, Sarimie, etc to a greater degree than any of the other gods has done with their people so the notion that they are stereotype 2e druids from other settings absently wandering around talking to trees simply doesn't fit the setting.  The druids care for the natural world because they care for their flock, not the other way around!

Erik hath pronounced however, his will be done  :)
Sometimes the gods are neither subtle nor slow to anger

Offline Torele Anviras/TA (Niels)

• Xenophobia GM
  • RoE3 (Rjurik)
  • Sovereign
  • Regency: 3
  • Mage of Talinie
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2013, 11:46:32 PM »
If we're to call Matt for Erik, could he please adjust his avatar accordingly, so we mere mortals can remember? :-)

Offline Talinie & NIT/TD (Linde)

• **-Thuriene Donalls-** Bearer of the Rose Scepter.
  • RoE3 (Rjurik)
  • Regent
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2013, 11:58:58 PM »
Or add a signature.
Thuriene Donalls.
Thane of Talinie.
Supreme Hierarch of the Northern Imperial Temple of Haelyn.

"Those who hear the word of Haelyn and obey are like plants rooted in rich, fertile soil.
They will thrive, grow and be the most beautiful flowers in the garden of man."

Offline X-Points East

• Grand-Maester of the P&H
  • Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 15
Stability & Dynamic Domain Size
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2013, 03:29:16 AM »

OoC:

Suggestion:

Stability & Dynamic Domain Size

TINY — relevant levels less than or equal to 25% of regent's bloodline score
SMALL — relevant levels greater than 25% and less than or equal to 75% of regent's bloodline score
MEDIUM — relevant levels greater than 75% and less than or equal to 150% of regent's bloodline score
LARGE — relevant levels greater than 150% and less than or equal to 250% of regent's bloodline score
HUGE — relevant levels greater than 250% of regent's bloodline score

[[[Note:  In this context, province, law, manor, temple, guild, and source levels are relevant, whilst trade levels are irrelevant.]]]

Example:  A domain, whose regent has a bloodline score of 20, is tiny with 0-5 relevant levels; small with 6-15 relevant levels; medium with 16-30 relevant levels; large with 31-50 relevant levels; and huge with 51+ relevant levels.

Example:  A domain, whose regent has a bloodline score of 40, is tiny with 0-10 relevant levels; small with 11-30 relevant levels; medium with 31-60 relevant levels; large with 61-100 relevant levels; and huge with 101+ relevant levels.

Example:  A domain, whose regent has a bloodline score of 60, is tiny with 0-15 relevant levels; small with 16-45 relevant levels; medium with 46-90 relevant levels; large with 91-150 relevant levels; and huge with 151+ relevant levels.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 06:30:47 AM by X-Points East »

Offline X-CJS/Ruormad Coumain (Tristan)

• Former players
  • Scion
  • Regency: 10
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2013, 06:40:07 AM »

OoC:

Suggestion:

Domain Size

TINY — levels less than or equal to 50% of regent's bloodline score
SMALL — levels greater than 50% and less than or equal to 100% of regent's bloodline score
MEDIUM — levels greater than 100% and less than or equal to 150% of regent's bloodline score
LARGE — levels greater than 150% and less than or equal to 250% of regent's bloodline score
HUGE — levels greater than 250% of regent's bloodline score

Example:  A domain, whose regent has a bloodline score of 30, is tiny with 0-15 province/holding levels; small with 16-30 province/holding levels; medium with 31-45 province/holding levels; large with 46-75 province/holding levels; and huge with 76+ province/holding levels.

Example:  A domain, whose regent has a bloodline score of 40, is tiny with 0-20 province/holding levels; small with 21-40 province/holding levels; medium with 41-60 province/holding levels; large with 61-100 province/holding levels; and huge with 101+ province/holding levels.

Example:  A domain, whose regent has a bloodline score of 50, is tiny with 0-25 province/holding levels; small with 26-50 province/holding levels; medium with 51-75 province/holding levels; large with 76-125 province/holding levels; and huge with 126+ province/holding levels.

Why? I cannot see any reason to equate domain size with bloodline score. I can't see the relationship.
Most Sacred Broker Ruormad Coumain, Patriach of the Celestial Jewel of Sarimie.
The wise man invests in times of plenty to ensure plenty in times of hardship.

Offline Ruideside/OM (RP)

• Otmar Messer, Lord-Commander, etc., etc., etc.
  • RoE3 (Rjurik)
  • Noble
  • Regency: 7
  • Come let us discuss this...
    • Bob's Worlds
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2013, 08:12:45 AM »
I was wondering the same thing Tristan.
By the Grace of My Own Right Hand, Lord Commander of the Federated Free Companies, Governor-General of the Ruideside, Marshal of the Realm, and Captain-General of the Brethren of  the Black Flag.

My Tollanar blog: https://bobsworlds.wordpress.com/

"If reason won't work - try violence"