Author Topic: Dragon Age: Origins  (Read 5725 times)

Offline X-Osoerde (Alan)

• The Dragon
  • Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Regency: 21
Dragon Age: Origins
« on: November 10, 2009, 06:41:21 PM »
I am loving this game.

Dark. Twisted. Wrong. Difficult (I am playing on Nightmare difficulty).  Requires Tactics.

And being the "good guy" can absolutely S-C-R-E-W you (though being evil seems to screw you at least as bad).
Yes, wyrmling, the meat is made all the more tender by armor...

Offline X-Bellam & BC/TB (Bobby)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 33
Re: Dragon Age: Origins
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 06:50:37 PM »
I've heard the plot/style is good; how does the gameplay feel?

Offline X-Mieres & SAS/AV (Mark)

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Regency: 15
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 09:52:15 PM »
My wife and I have a deal that will net me a PS3 on boxing day.  My thought is that this is the first game I get - good idea/bad idea
Every man has a price he will willingly accept, even for what he hoped never to sell. 

Offline X-Osoerde (Alan)

• The Dragon
  • Former players
  • Sovereign
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 02:45:40 AM »
I am playing on the PC. I really can't say how the interface for the PS3 will feel.

I actually really like the gameplay feel.  The game has a little of everything. If you like to micromanage, than you can. If you like to set plans then you can.

Additionally, the game is such that the game experience is totally different if you are a different class or even if you are a different race.  I am greatly enjoying the game, honestly.

Offline X-Medoere & RCS/KE (Thorsten)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 22
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 10:08:08 AM »
I thought about getting it (once my wallet actually has anything but dead moths in it) - And knowing myself and the morale dilemma I sometimes face swatting a fly, I'm guessing I'll end up as the good guy...

But then again... Modern Warfare 2 just hit the shelves... *sigh* the choices

Offline X-SASI/Orthien Tane (Rune)

• Former players
  • Scion
  • Regency: 12
  • Maester Orthien Tane
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 01:36:41 PM »
I also want to try this on my PS3... but then again, I just bought Uncharted 2 and Fallout 3 so I'll probably be quite occupied for the coming weeks anyway.  ::)
Orthien Tane, Maester of Southern Anuire Shipping and Imports

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2009, 01:33:55 PM »
I bought it, and have currently been playing it a bit on PS3 - being used to PC's myself I opted for the "normal" difficulty (no freindly fire, which is good or I'd had had my but singed a couple of times.)

The game says I'm 50% done, and I've been playing for the better part of this weekend. I like that.

One thing I don't like are the mages - every single enemy mage I meet seems to find it overly amusing to stun-lock me through different methods. And if one mage isn't enough pester like that, he usually has a buddy.
I've tried playing with the tactics - but for some reason the girl I upgraded to be bad-ass archer thinks it's funnier to switch to her meleé-weapons and run into the fray to die screaming. This is in spite *all* the tactics with her being archer-stuff, and her mode changed from default to archer. Bah...

It is really twisted though - yet I've yet to be screwed completely by being the good guy. My main char (Kaven, original, eh?) is a master persuader, with a high cunning in spite of being a warrior - that seems to help me loads.

Offline X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper)

• Sovereign
  • Regency: 18
  • Pontiff Wallac Isilviere, High Prefect of the IHH
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2009, 01:06:16 AM »
So you guys dont have any issue with the "invisible wall" world? That there are effectively some set paths to follow; see that fine castle out there? Well you can not go there - you get stuck at this "invisible wall"  ???
His Holiness Wallac Isilviere, Pontiff of All Anuire, High Prefect of the Impregnable Heart of Haelyn

Offline X-Osoerde (Alan)

• The Dragon
  • Former players
  • Sovereign
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2009, 03:20:26 AM »
Che?

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2009, 09:12:40 AM »
So you guys dont have any issue with the "invisible wall" world? That there are effectively some set paths to follow; see that fine castle out there? Well you can not go there - you get stuck at this "invisible wall"  ???

I guess that's why we play RoE, no? I finished the game tonight (resulting in an end I often think this Kaven also will meet someday, and honestly I can say that I would like to start again just to try a less goodie-two-shoes approach, and then perhaps lastly play a mage who just is plain out baaaad (though it hurts sometimes)

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2009, 09:31:25 AM »
I actually ended up making a review of this game for the magazine I'm writing for.

I blame you Alan... your praise of this game is what prompted me to buy it in the end  :D

Offline X-Aerenwe/TS (Miloš)

• Former players
  • Scion
  • Regency: 10
    • timeKraft
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2009, 06:57:22 PM »
For me, Dragon Age feels a lot like NWN3 just in different setting and with different rules. It also has parts that feel much like a MMORPG, but I guess that's a trend these days. I like that tactical challenge and the fact that a decent-quality high-budget RPG (and not something like Risen) gets released from time to time. Other than that, there is nothing in Dragon Age that can match older RPGs.
Tasaenae Swordwraith,
By the Grace of Haelyn and Nesirie,
Queen of Aerenwe,
Countess of Calrie,
Protector and High Warden of the Erebannien