Author Topic: OOC: The Gray Duke Manethander Elin (planning)  (Read 12362 times)

Offline X-Osoerde (Alan)

• The Dragon
  • Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Regency: 21
OOC: The Gray Duke Manethander Elin (planning)
« on: May 27, 2009, 01:21:19 PM »
While as of yet, very few people have been involved in this particular plot, it is about to blow-up.  In recognition of how important this particular plot is becoming and to hopefully get some productive OOC planning and plotting regarding this particular story arc -- Bobby and I are wondering if anyone wants to speak via email about Manethander Elin, the Gray Duke.

P.S.  Sorry Elinie! I know how long people have been working to keep this arc hidden from everyone, it is about to blow up and frankly, some of us are thinking that 'it is on like Donkey Kong'.

Please post here if you would like to join the fun.  I am thinking that mostly it will be eastern March regents, and realms  surrounding Elinie...
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 09:38:36 PM by DM Bjørn »
Yes, wyrmling, the meat is made all the more tender by armor...

Offline X-OIT/Narvelon Diem-Avan

• Former players
  • Hero
  • Regency: 4
Re: 1st Annual OOC Plot Fest -- The Gray Duke Manethander Elin
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 06:14:36 PM »
For obvious reasons I'm in!
Cardinal Narvelon Diem-Avan
Orthodox Imperial Temple of Haelyn

Offline X-Bellam & BC/TB (Bobby)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 33
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 06:40:06 PM »
In particular, we're looking to brainstorm ways to, as we have been advised, PREPARE! for an eventual effort to retrieve the Book.  Suggested ideas so far are "Bring more guys" and "Don't stab him in the heart to kill him."  As you can see, we're making excellent progress already!

"On like Donkey Kong", Alan?  Really?

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
  • Regency: 51
    • Twilightpeaks.net - Hone of Ruins of Empire
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 07:02:01 PM »
Find out what resources the enemy has; mundane, magical, subterfuge etc.

Find out where the enemy IS

Find out what he's after

etc.

etc.
DM Bjørn

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009, 07:14:37 PM »
Indeed.  We're also discussing the possibility of finding allies in the Shadow World, assuming his tomb's on that side of the Veil, to support us - we need to find out who the folks that showed up during the Vampires adventure were.

Offline X-Elinie/RiD (Niels)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 19
  • Formerly Star of the East
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009, 09:18:09 PM »
What?!

My Curse has the Book?! - ARE YOU NUTS???

WHAT INCOMPETENT IDIOT LET THE GREY DUKE GET THE BOOK?!!!!!  >:(

We are all doomed. Dooomed.  :D

Anyway, I can't act on this before someone tells me what you have gotten yourselves into... My angle on Manethander is that he is an awakening evil that I have to terminate eventually. - Your problems seem more... Pressing.

Seriously though. You let HIM take the BOOK!! - People needs to talk to me.
Formerly: His Grace, Patriarch Rashid ibn Daouta, Last Imperial Duke of the Eastern Marches, Duke of Elinie, Master of Sutren Hills, Holy Paladin of Avanalae, Light of Reason.

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
  • Regency: 51
    • Twilightpeaks.net - Hone of Ruins of Empire
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2009, 09:39:13 PM »
Indeed.  We're also discussing the possibility of finding allies in the Shadow World, assuming his tomb's on that side of the Veil, to support us - we need to find out who the folks that showed up during the Vampires adventure were.

Indeed. The vampires have show they have resources on both sides of the Veil. My bet is you too need resources on both sides too.
DM Bjørn

Offline X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper)

• Sovereign
  • Regency: 18
  • Pontiff Wallac Isilviere, High Prefect of the IHH
Re: OOC: The Gray Duke Manethander Elin (planning)
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2009, 09:49:28 AM »
Count Wallac in. He is, if not a resource, currently on the the other side of the veil  ;D

IHH has around 20 temple level holdings in Osoerde and dont particularly find the thought of a Vampire lord holding the sacred Book of Law entertaining.

Ofcause IHH may not be in a very good position to join the fray should the current regent be dead or permanently trapped in the Shadow World.

Currently IHH know not of the Book being in possesion of the Vampire Lord so I wait getting actively IC involved in the planning untill someone tells IHH or it is public information (like in the SR)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 01:51:12 PM by IHH/Pontiff Wallac Isilviere (Kasper) »
His Holiness Wallac Isilviere, Pontiff of All Anuire, High Prefect of the Impregnable Heart of Haelyn

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2009, 06:57:47 PM »
Yeah - IC and OOC are very different things here.

Offline X-Osoerde (Alan)

• The Dragon
  • Former players
  • Sovereign
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2009, 07:26:39 PM »
We are talking about doing OOC planning. Which may neccessiate some IC actions.

Offline X-Tornilen/SM (Alexander)

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Regency: 22
  • Duchess Marya Tanar
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2009, 07:48:27 PM »
Yeah, spreading this knowledge around may lead to you getting some more assistance, possibly from someone who has some knowledge of the shadow world ^^
Marya Tanar, The Sword Mage
Duchess and Mage of Tornilen

Offline X-Elinie/RiD (Niels)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 19
  • Formerly Star of the East
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2009, 10:53:02 PM »
Well, OOC, its not a good idea to skulk around in Elinie without the Patriarch being informed and approving, which as a minimum means having someone in the group to report back.

Secondly, the Grey Duke is a sore spot for Elinie, and its a delicate matter that he is re-awakened.

Third, if anyone has a pile of old documents and knowledge of where the tomb is, its Rashid.

Lastly, Manethander was not killed. He was confined and "asleep". Now he is awake but maybe still confined. - Charging in can risk breaking this confinement, doing nothing means it will break anyway, eventually.

But the key issue here, is that he could not be killed all those years ago... So, at the height of the empire, a group of trained assas... adventurers, with all their power, was unable to destroy him. - What do we have that they did not? - So far, nothing. So we will fail, if we do not locate a "something" to give us an edge.
Formerly: His Grace, Patriarch Rashid ibn Daouta, Last Imperial Duke of the Eastern Marches, Duke of Elinie, Master of Sutren Hills, Holy Paladin of Avanalae, Light of Reason.

Offline X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper)

• Sovereign
  • Regency: 18
  • Pontiff Wallac Isilviere, High Prefect of the IHH
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2009, 11:14:22 PM »
Exactly - we should go looking for an edge, and if not able to find one at least a way to reinforce his confinement.

I believe it would be wise to make sure Elien is kept in the loop for several reasons; one being it may involve military units moving around Elinie to contest the Gray Dukes controll of his surroundings and secondly because the Patriarch is allready engaged and besides his obvious motivation he may have important informations or easier access to them if not.

I should say involving CoT too would be a good idea since fighting vampires is something temples often have good abilities to do.

Perhaps some sort of court session could be made at some point to make for a smooth cooperation between the interested domains and/or a congress pooling ideas and resources

For IHH to get IC knowledge I intend to probe some of the domains allready hunting the book of law.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 11:36:02 PM by IHH/Pontiff Wallac Isilviere (Kasper) »
His Holiness Wallac Isilviere, Pontiff of All Anuire, High Prefect of the Impregnable Heart of Haelyn

Offline X-Osoerde (Alan)

• The Dragon
  • Former players
  • Sovereign
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2009, 11:55:51 PM »
Well, OOC, its not a good idea to skulk around in Elinie without the Patriarch being informed and approving, which as a minimum means having someone in the group to report back.

Secondly, the Grey Duke is a sore spot for Elinie, and its a delicate matter that he is re-awakened.

Third, if anyone has a pile of old documents and knowledge of where the tomb is, its Rashid.

Lastly, Manethander was not killed. He was confined and "asleep". Now he is awake but maybe still confined. - Charging in can risk breaking this confinement, doing nothing means it will break anyway, eventually.

But the key issue here, is that he could not be killed all those years ago... So, at the height of the empire, a group of trained assas... adventurers, with all their power, was unable to destroy him. - What do we have that they did not? - So far, nothing. So we will fail, if we do not locate a "something" to give us an edge.

Actually, I would wager that the story regarding his entombment is probably not complete.  My guess is that his entombment should probably be taken in a less literal form.  Perhaps he was trapped?

The basic premise is that we cannot be sure that anyone attempted to kill him, or even got reasonably close.

Furthermore, Domain Secrets and Domain Descriptions Lie and Lie alot.

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2009, 12:47:02 AM »
Prisons have an annoying tendency to become fortresses when left untended.  Any modern prison would make a pretty good firebase.  In Lord of the Rings, the fortifications around Mordor were intended for the men of Gondor to use to keep watch over Sauron's old home, not to protect it.  And don't forget the EO's "prison" last game and how IT wound up being used.  The upside is that that it's probable that Rashid can find out where Manethander was locked up, so we'll have a probable location for him.  (Without question, Rashid will get brought into this.  Doing otherwise would be borderline insane.)

We've got a couple things that need doing -
1) We need to find out where Manethander is located, and who is serving him. 
2) We need to find out anything we can on vampires in general and anything we can on Manethander and his capabilities when he was around originally. 
3) We need to see if we can find out if he's truly awake, stirring, or still largely asleep (with others trying to awaken him).
4) Assuming he's in the Shadow World, we need to find a way to GET there that we can control and protect.  Our means of entry will be the main limiting factor on how much Might we can bring to bear.
5) We need to take a look at everything that was done during the theft of the Book - that could give us some ideas of his and his minions' capabilities.
6) We need to find out who the Shadow World folks that assisted in the last Vampire adventure were and if they're interested in cooperation.  I'm not sold on the idea that the mystery figure was the IR, but I'll admit the possibility.  Otherwise, we may need a SW adventure just to find these people. 
7) We need to see if we can find out what his purpose for the book is and (particularly) if he needs OTHER things for whatever he's doing.  Collecting items of power is a major trope for a reason - it makes a good story.  This could be happening here.
8) We need the full story, with all the details attached (and preferably a ritual we can follow!) of what was done to confine Manethander in the first place.
9) Come to think of it, we should confirm that he's really the one behind this.  So far, that's only a guess from an NPC, though probably a good one.
10) We need about a dozen more Sun Swords.
11) We need to find out if he's infiltrated or mindcontrolled more people in Elinie, in the OIT, and anywhere else he's done major work.

Other suggestions of things that need doing, or ways to accomplish any of these goals?