Author Topic: Turn #67 - Avanil  (Read 9672 times)

Offline X-Roesone/SG (Shido)

• Former players
  • Scion
  • Regency: 10
  • Count Saender Ghoried
Re: Turn #67 - Avanil
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2010, 08:40:08 AM »
We fight now to gain better cards for negotiation. We all know nothing will stop enemy to crush our army in Taeghas if he decides to. But imagine enemy commander with army stuck in the mountains, bad weather falling and both exits threatened by enemy army. I DO expect some sort of negotiation immediately begins after our strike.
And the last thing - the units on the other side of the mountains swore loyalty to the same lords as you did. Perhaps there will be no prize money but surely you'll be able to stand before your lord and be sure you did the best to save his army for further fights.
Count Saender Ghoried
Crown Regent of Roesone
First councillor of the Spider River Traders
Royal guild of Roesone

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
  • Regency: 51
    • Twilightpeaks.net - Hone of Ruins of Empire
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2010, 08:52:56 AM »
Since the Baron is such a great commander the troops follow him, despite any misgivings about pay.

Upon arrival in Nentril several things have become apparent; the great enemy host have just passed through these lands unopposed. What Avanese forces remains have hid behind their walls and prayed that the enemy would not stop outside their door. Now the bulk of the enemy infantry is crossing the Seamist Mountains. it is late in Autumn and it is no small feat they are attempting. You know, for you made the crossing in fairer weather not too many weeks ago.

The enemy cavalry, however, has not gone anywhere, rather awaits your coming. Perhaps they are merely waiting for last as a security measure. Or perhaps they have anticipated this bold strike of yours. You do not know. What you do know is that you will have to run away like a coward - or face a cavalry army larger than your own in open battle. Unless you can come up with some other alternative of course.

At any rate, the enemy is arrayed against you on the fields of a nameless Netril village. You'd say that they number six knight units, another six lancers, plus at least four dragoons for flank security. You are also certain that there will be at least a small reserve, plus scouts.
DM Bjørn

• Former players
  • Scion
  • Count Saender Ghoried
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2010, 09:10:55 AM »
A messenger under truce flag is sent to the enemy. Baron wishes to speak with the cavalry's commander.
Count Saender Ghoried
Crown Regent of Roesone
Royal guild of Roesone

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2010, 10:24:19 AM »
A meeting is arranged in the early hours of the day. A cold sun shines down on the fields, struggling with the dew that has gathered in the night. Winter is coming to the Heartlands.

His attire is rather common, utilitarian plate and mail, with a simple surcoat bearing the symbol of Haelyn (much like a templar would wear). The same goes for his arms; they seem rather plain, with very little in the way of ornamentation. Perhaps he as taken a vow of poverty? That doesn't quite add up, however, for the enemy leader sits upon a prize stallion who is the equal of any animal you have set your eyes upon. He has removed his helmet for the occasion. He has dark hair and cold eyes. You think he must be related to that squire of Duke Diems...the one who lost his leg...Cereval Shaeme. The family resemblance is strong. His Dieman accent confirms your suspicions:

"I am Moergan, humble servant of Haelyn, Marquis of Thasbyrn, and commander of this army. Now, you called for this meeting...I presume you mean to surrender?"
DM Bjørn

• Former players
  • Scion
  • Count Saender Ghoried
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2010, 10:42:51 AM »
I'm Aruvor Raemel, Baron of Roesone and soldier of Cuiraecen. It's my pleasure to meet you, Marquis. Am I right you led the attack on Daulton?
As you surely know, we Cuiraecenites rarely surrender. I'm instead going to offer you a limited non-aggression agreement. It seems to me that this war is over and none of us has a reason to fight here a lose our men for nothing. Your army is returning home and I want the same for my men both here and in Taeghas.
Count Saender Ghoried
Crown Regent of Roesone
Royal guild of Roesone

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2010, 10:58:27 AM »
"I have heard of you Baron Aruvor Raemel...and I find that the stories actually do you justice. I was a well executed attack on my marching columns, and so I must applaud you skill and daring. Now, however, I think it is time for you to use your experience...to evaluate your own position. Which is not very good. My infantry is on its way over the mountains, where I am sure they will have to fight more of your southerners. But win they will, and in doing so they will doom your entire expeditionary force to isolation and destruction...

Which is reminiscent of your own position Baron...in that it is hopeless. Mine cavalry far outnumber thine. If you fight you will die. If you run you will have no honor...and might still be run down and killed. Or you can surrender and be treated fairly. There are only those three options...there will most certainly be no terms of non-aggression. It is your choice Baron...for although I build my liege a fine funeral pyre out of the City of Daulton my blood still cries out for vengenace upon those who consort with assassins."
DM Bjørn

• Former players
  • Scion
  • Count Saender Ghoried
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2010, 11:34:23 AM »
I don't know which assasins you're speaking about, Marquis. But as You said, youh heart cries for venegance so I fear for fates of those who surrender. And as I said, Cuiraecenites rarely surrender. Do you job, Marquis and perhaps we'll se someday again.

Baron then returns back to his units. His plan : form a wedge from his knights, flanks guarded by dragoons, attack teh center of enemy knights where supposedly marquis might have his position.

Count Saender Ghoried
Crown Regent of Roesone
Royal guild of Roesone

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2010, 12:02:27 PM »
"That would be the ones sent by Prince Avan Whoreson to slay my liege, Brandon of the blood of Boer. But I guess such a petty detail has escaped your notice...but very well, if you insist on insulting my honor I will oblige you. Death it is."

With that he returns to his lines...and the battle commences:

You attack in tight formation at good speed. There is a slight rise before the enemy lines, but not enough for your attack to be slowed. As you reach the point where the charge will be called arrows start flying through the air. Their scouts have hidden in between the flanking dragoons and now fire enfilading fire at you - it could have been very bad, but at your current speed their engagement time is too brief for them to do more than sting. Then enemy horns sound and the Boer cavalry surge forward to meet you. It is like the clash of titans.

You find that your initial charge to the center is quite successful. The enemy is hit hard and pushed into disarray. But your flanks are hit equally hard and your formation starts unraveling - the only option is to keep going forward, avoid getting pinned. That works for a while, until you run into the Boer reserve - mounted armsmen (now on foot) -  form a solid block of polearms and great axes. You find yourself between two hammers and one anvil.

And last minute ideas or orders?

DM Bjørn

• Former players
  • Scion
  • Count Saender Ghoried
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2010, 12:07:30 PM »
Turn left/right (whatever) along the dismounted units and attack the cavalry flank.
Count Saender Ghoried
Crown Regent of Roesone
Royal guild of Roesone

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2010, 12:23:41 PM »
There is little room to maneuver:

ENEMY INFANTRY
ENEMY                 YOU              ENEMY
KNIGHTS          YOU YOU          KNIGHTS
LANCERS       YOU YOU YOU      LANCERS

ENEMY DRAGOONS CLOSING THE NOOSE

Your lead units have some momentum left, however, and you are able to turn to the left and break through the enemy lines. Perhaps fifty men are still with you; the rest are locked into a gigantic melee.
DM Bjørn

• Former players
  • Scion
  • Count Saender Ghoried
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2010, 01:14:33 PM »
... perhaps he gone simply mad, perhaps his heart of a Cuiraecen paladin won the battle with his instincts ...
Baron turned his horse back and charged the enemy line. Few of his fellow soldiers, mostly personal guard, followed him, fear in their eyes, but the banner of Aruvor Raemel still flying high and freely.
Count Saender Ghoried
Crown Regent of Roesone
Royal guild of Roesone

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2010, 01:29:10 PM »
Your mad charge into the flank of the enemy infantry throw them into disarray, opening a gap through which many more of your men are able to escape. But for the brave Baron there is another fate - a felled horse, bloody injury and then blissful darkness...

(some of the units have survived thanks to the heroic actions of the Baron - now they must try to survive the pursuing enemy cavalry...has it all been in vain?)
DM Bjørn

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2010, 11:22:44 AM »
Word of the Baron's death on the field of battle, as well as a lengthy recital of his heroic actions, are sent to Roesone and Tornilen (here the Duchess is away on urgent business, so she's yet to hear) as quickly as possible.

WM 11 begins.
DM Bjørn

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2010, 11:24:49 AM »
Additionally: The capital city of Daulton has been razed (OOC: The province has lost no less than 2 province levels). The Westerners have also foraged extensively and caused general havoc wherever they could. Avanil is, however, a well-fortified realm, so in terms of lost province levels it has done fairly well, but a lot of negative province growth has been inflicted.
DM Bjørn

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2010, 10:12:36 AM »
Turn ends.
DM Bjørn