Author Topic: Domain Actions  (Read 3354 times)

Offline Silver House/ClDh (Bobby)

• RoE3 (Rjurik)
  • Regent
  • Regency: 1
Domain Actions
« on: July 08, 2013, 09:09:28 PM »
We've had some brisk discussion of the Hire Help action, as usual ranging from "How can we completely revise this?" to "Is there a need for this action at all?"  I'll be writing a concise summary of that discussion for Matt and Andy to consider, soon.  In the meantime, are there other actions that people would like to have looked at, whether to rebalance them for the new setting, to clarify how they work, or to change/add/remove them altogether?  I know some folks have commented about Rule actions - is there a real concern about whether they need to be rebalanced, or are people just commenting for fun?

Major alterations are less likely to happen, for obvious reasons, but I'd like to give everyone who has a concern a chance to voice it where I can kick it up to the GMs.  Take a look through v.2.21 of the Guide and let me know what you'd like to discuss!

Offline Torele Anviras/TA (Niels)

• Xenophobia GM
  • RoE3 (Rjurik)
  • Sovereign
  • Regency: 3
  • Mage of Talinie
Re: Domain Actions
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 12:01:35 AM »
Once a province is Rebellious there is almost no way to bring it back. The DDC's involved get too high.

Assume a level 3 or 4 province where all relevant holdings have been pillaged.

It is a spiral downwards that can lead to the complete depopulation of a province.

Offline NRCS/LN (Mark)

• RoE3 (Rjurik)
  • Noble
  • Most Sacred Minister, Larra Nielems
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 03:41:43 AM »
Just a quick question.   Can we assume that most actions have the proviso that 'direct' action Ie. adventure, rp, etc. by the regent may have an affect on the landscape as well?
Industriousness is the virtue needed to better the lives of others.  Wealth is the reward for working to better your own.

Offline Silver House/ClDh (Bobby)

• RoE3 (Rjurik)
  • Regent
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 04:48:42 AM »
Adventure actions are by far the most common Supportive actions.  Regent/domain Supportive actions that are sensible and appropriate should give at least a +4 bonus, more if the action goes well or it particularly well-planned or well-written.  Supportive actions by hirelings, again, primarily Adventures, give at least a +2 as long as the hireling is suited to the task they're given.  RP is used as Influence - I don't know of any other normal way for it to assist actions.

Offline Ruideside/OM (RP)

• Otmar Messer, Lord-Commander, etc., etc., etc.
  • RoE3 (Rjurik)
  • Noble
  • Regency: 7
  • Come let us discuss this...
    • Bob's Worlds
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 07:35:18 AM »
I wrote a set of rules for adjudicating adventures without playing them out. It was designed to handle those players who had some down time and decided to "go on adventure" which would ruin the session for the other players.

Here is the link I posted to it a while back
http://www.twilightpeaks.net/forum/index.php?topic=2209.msg18735#msg18735
By the Grace of My Own Right Hand, Lord Commander of the Federated Free Companies, Governor-General of the Ruideside, Marshal of the Realm, and Captain-General of the Brethren of  the Black Flag.

My Tollanar blog: https://bobsworlds.wordpress.com/

"If reason won't work - try violence"

• RoE3 (Rjurik)
  • Noble
    • Bob's Worlds
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 11:26:34 PM »
I would also like to propose that the Administration action be allowed to reduce taxes paid. basically allowing one of the Administrator positions to function like an accountant to find loopholes and/or hide assets from the tax man.
By the Grace of My Own Right Hand, Lord Commander of the Federated Free Companies, Governor-General of the Ruideside, Marshal of the Realm, and Captain-General of the Brethren of  the Black Flag.

Offline Yggdrasil (DM Andy)

• Demigod
  • Sovereign
  • Regency: 2
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 09:48:27 PM »
I would also like to propose that the Administration action be allowed to reduce taxes paid. basically allowing one of the Administrator positions to function like an accountant to find loopholes and/or hide assets from the tax man.

That would be a pain to code, cutting your domain running costs has much the same result for the non-law-holder and is much easier to do.  We could of course always create an action "windfall taxes" which would be the usual opposed roll and a means by law holders to try and collect money by more creative means, it could of course backfire, and I suppose we culd have a court action going the other way "evade taxes/extract payments" if you wanted, I can't help thinking that the responses on both sides would be somewhat sanguine though - and not in the gentle sense.
Sometimes the gods are neither subtle nor slow to anger

Offline Torele Anviras/TA (Niels)

• Xenophobia GM
  • RoE3 (Rjurik)
  • Sovereign
  • Regency: 3
  • Mage of Talinie
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2013, 11:43:18 PM »
It could be argued that some fudging with taxes is already part of the returns on succesful adminsitration checks.

Withdrawing expenses before reporting harvest result and whatnot.

Offline Stjordvik/Varri (Greg)

• Varri Haraldsson
  • RoE3 (Rjurik)
  • Scion
  • Of the crown by the bondi
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2013, 04:28:53 AM »
I wrote a set of rules for adjudicating adventures without playing them out. It was designed to handle those players who had some down time and decided to "go on adventure" which would ruin the session for the other players.

Here is the link I posted to it a while back
http://www.twilightpeaks.net/forum/index.php?topic=2209.msg18735#msg18735

Thanks for sharing, that is an interesting concept that you put together - well done!
Varri Haraldsson,
King of Stjordvikers

"Of the crown by the bondi"

• RoE3 (Rjurik)
  • Noble
    • Bob's Worlds
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2013, 07:56:54 AM »
Thanks.

• RoE3 (Rjurik)
  • Noble
    • Bob's Worlds
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2013, 07:58:40 AM »
That would be a pain to code,
This is true.