Author Topic: ROE Project California 2010!!  (Read 5009 times)

Offline X-Elinie/RiD (Niels)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 19
  • Formerly Star of the East
ROE Project California 2010!!
« on: June 29, 2009, 04:58:01 PM »
So I vote the next RoE meet is in California in Greg's pool!

I'm happy to host!  though I think it might be pretty damn expensive for most of you guys to travel over here!  San Francisco is nearby, and for wine lovers, the Napa valley is a "10".  For computer geeks, Silicon Valley is about an hour away, as are the beaches.  Lake Tahoe is about 2-3 hours away, that's also a "10".  Just say the word!  :)

Inspired by the post above, I have set up this thread for planning who is in on it, when we can do it and how we make sure to spend our time in a manner that doesn't only involve completely geeking out in and around Greg's pool.  ;D

Please post in this thread if you are interested in joining and have even a remote opportunity to do so. Suggestions of dates are the most relevant right now, but I plan to make a few "packages" to inspire people to do it.

Fx. noone is going to cross the pond for a weekend, so if I can find a few plans for what people can do for an extended 14 day trip, it increases the chance of this going down.  :)

Also, if someone is lacking a travel companion, to go see the worlds largest ball of yarn, perhaps we can find someone in the ROE community who have similar desires, however woolly that may be.

Watch this space!  ;D
Formerly: His Grace, Patriarch Rashid ibn Daouta, Last Imperial Duke of the Eastern Marches, Duke of Elinie, Master of Sutren Hills, Holy Paladin of Avanalae, Light of Reason.

Offline X-Elinie/RiD (Niels)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 19
  • Formerly Star of the East
Re: ROE Project California 2010!!
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 04:58:17 PM »
Sights to see in California:

Yosemite National Park - http://www.yosemitepark.com/
Travel Time from Greg's: 3 hours

Death Valley
Travel Time from Greg's?

San Francisco:
Travel Time from Greg's: ?

- Alcatraz Prison Island!
- Golden Gate Bridge
- Other?

Los Angeles:
More than a daytrip.
Lodgings:

Sights:

Car rental:
- Price?

Arrival options:

Transport options from Arrival to Greg's:

Lodging options near Greg's:
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 02:36:12 PM by Elinie/RiD (Niels) »
Formerly: His Grace, Patriarch Rashid ibn Daouta, Last Imperial Duke of the Eastern Marches, Duke of Elinie, Master of Sutren Hills, Holy Paladin of Avanalae, Light of Reason.

Offline X-Mhoried/Droene Kavarra (Iasonas)

• Former players
  • Scion
  • Regency: 3
  • The Mhor, Droene Kavarra
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 10:31:09 PM »
California is a great option for me... I might even be in Caliornia during the Christmas period.
Droene Kavarra.
The Mhor.
The land is inherited,
The respect is earned.

Offline X-Coeranys/WD (Greg)

• Former players
  • Scion
  • Regency: 4
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 05:13:14 AM »
Oh, I did leave off another major must see in California, that would be Yosemite National Park.  It's about a 2.5-3 hour drive from here, but one of nature's most beautiful places in the world with incredible hiking trails.  If it's planned far enough in advance, there are rooms in the park to rent out, or we can camp.  I'd highly recommend spending at least one (or two) nights in the park.  :)
William Deaulen
Baron of Coeranys
Count of Caudraight

Offline X-Bellam & BC/TB (Bobby)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 33
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 08:07:50 PM »
Yosemite is beyond beautiful.  I went out there on my only trip to the west coast, and have been wanting to go back for years.

Offline X-Haelyn's Aegis/RK (Andy)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 42
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2009, 11:56:49 PM »
Yosemite is gorgeous, Death Valley is hot, dear god it is hot!  Take along a roll of aluminium foil and fry eggs and burgers on a table using pure solar power - but my haribo melted in the boot so I can never return without a broken heart...

I'd avoid San Francisco, and probably LA (although a few spots are worth hunting down), but can recommend San Deigo and the coastline generally.

The Redwood parks are ok, but to be honest after you get past 'big' they aren't that attractive.

Vegas is just a few hours drive over the border, and always worth a visit.

I'd seriously consider hiring a van, hippy mobile, or recreational vehicle - the extra hire cost will easily be outpaced by the motel savings.

I went last year and can dig out the hire car places, etc, etc, I also have god knows how many photo's if anyone is interested and over in the UK

Oh wait, Santa Barbara, free internet access in the library, and a Cold Stone Creamery, there is heaven on earth, although apparently Neverland is next door so avoid the scary people.

Pick the right time of year as well - I got the June glooms so you probably want later.
Robhan Khaiarén
High Marshal of Haelyn's Aegis
Work hard, walk with honour, be justly rewarded