Author Topic: OOC: General adventure observations  (Read 19757 times)

Offline X-Tuornen/LF (Geir)

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Regency: 10
  • Laela Flaertes, Duchess of Tuornen
Re: Adventures #63
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2009, 10:36:21 PM »
to be honest I did bring an Elf too ;-) and being half my'self and still alive I think Elfs are luck bringers.

I am happy we did not loos our Pontiff, now get back home brefore you catch a cold or something. Don't you have someone to marry off? or some holy book to read up on? oh well, that one was stolen yes, sorry....
I would think the Pontif of all people would have guys to send on such errands as this? Now if there was a big demon walking around the city I would see the need for the Pontiff to get out and about and tell the bad fella to get lost, and dont come back either. But to run out in the bushes? You don't have some servants like guys for that? Templars or such knights? A Paladin maybe? Get home to the library and have some warm alterwine, it's good for the beard too ;-)
Laela Flaertes, By the Grace of Haelyn Duchess of Tuornen

- Geir
Tuornen / LF

Offline X-Mieres & SAS/AV (Mark)

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Regency: 15
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2009, 10:42:36 PM »
Actually I have joined the expediton to Thenial thinking that it will be quite safe and boring, just to keep an eye on Sarae  :-\

Anyway I look forward to my new agendas  ;)

Hell I only went with you guys to keep Mhisticai, Sarae, and Marie from ripping each other to shreds over the damned Obelisk.  Had a feeling we might meet some Gnolls but didn't expect this. 

I was a bit sad though when the Pontiff showed up - had to watch my language in front of His Holiness.

PS. I don't know about you guys but I plan on living through this and fulfilling my destiny - killed mysteriously by 14 stab wounds to the back.
Every man has a price he will willingly accept, even for what he hoped never to sell. 

Offline X-OIT/Narvelon Diem-Avan

• Former players
  • Hero
  • Regency: 4
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2009, 11:11:31 PM »
I'm in total agreement that the adventures are exciting.... they are more than a little dangerous, and the Cardinal would not be on one - particularly in the shadow World - if he had a real choice, I can tell you!!  He isn't dead yet and is trying to keep it that way. Running away a lot seems to work!
Cardinal Narvelon Diem-Avan
Orthodox Imperial Temple of Haelyn

Offline X-Mieres & SAS/AV (Mark)

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Regency: 15
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2009, 11:19:33 PM »
Quick question - now that Kasper has put up the adventure in the forum are we posting our character's actions there or continuing the email thread?
Every man has a price he will willingly accept, even for what he hoped never to sell. 

Offline X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper)

• Sovereign
  • Regency: 18
  • Pontiff Wallac Isilviere, High Prefect of the IHH
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2009, 11:28:28 PM »
I assume in forum thread. everybody not present will only get the info OoC unless having other sources like whats get posted in SR (like the death of a few regents lol!)
His Holiness Wallac Isilviere, Pontiff of All Anuire, High Prefect of the Impregnable Heart of Haelyn

Offline X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper)

• Sovereign
  • Regency: 18
  • Pontiff Wallac Isilviere, High Prefect of the IHH
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2009, 11:31:54 PM »
Actually I have joined the expediton to Thenial thinking that it will be quite safe and boring, just to keep an eye on Sarae  :-\

Anyway I look forward to my new agendas  ;)

Nah dont hold back - the Pontiff is used to grumpy sovereigns with fouls mouths and enormous egos. Use whatever language you feel like; The pontiff really dont mind unless the bad mouthing has Haelyn or other deities as the mark

Hell I only went with you guys to keep Mhisticai, Sarae, and Marie from ripping each other to shreds over the damned Obelisk.  Had a feeling we might meet some Gnolls but didn't expect this. 

I was a bit sad though when the Pontiff showed up - had to watch my language in front of His Holiness.

PS. I don't know about you guys but I plan on living through this and fulfilling my destiny - killed mysteriously by 14 stab wounds to the back.
His Holiness Wallac Isilviere, Pontiff of All Anuire, High Prefect of the Impregnable Heart of Haelyn

Offline X-DM Jon

• Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Regency: 21
  • Slide
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2009, 12:16:22 AM »
A word of advice from my side of the fence.

Back in the day I jumped into adventure with glee - and got imprisoned, got my lieutenant killed,  feebleminded and subsequently rescued by outside forces.... Well that last part seemed to be all part of the EO's maniacal plan. He'd baited us into a trap, and sprung it on us - only in order to give us a clue where he was... You see he wanted access to something we would have to find for him. An ancient prison where he THOUGHT the Keeper of Secrets was still imprisoned... An ancient prison we would be certain he could be trapped forever in...
 Turned out the only future he couldn't see was his own inside a prison made by the Gods for a God that was no longer there...

Sometimes you have to jump blindly, especially in the beginning. HOWEVER, this did mean that I scaled my adventurous actions down substantially and gathered enough support and competent aa's so the second time I went up against the Eyeless One, I tore the bastard to pieces (well not my regent, he mostly scrabbled to keep the group alive, but the group defeated him soundly - loosing only... Oh half a dozen named and known heroes of Anuire)

AND EVEN THEN, even then, I discovered I had been played like a cheap fiddle all along... Lucky for us the EO overplayed his clever hand. He was able to see every possible mortal future, all outcomes of your actions - but not his own inside a divine prison.

So a word of advice for the future of all adventurous spirits; prepare, prepare, prepare! Gather strength as long as you can and strike ONLY when you know what you're up against. I created the bloody Conclave in order to defeat the EO, that took time and alot of effort (and I might add, the bloody Conclave probably wouldn't have been created without an enemy like the EO to unite against, he was a veritable nuclear bomb...)

Offline X-Bellam & BC/TB (Bobby)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 33
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2009, 02:00:10 AM »
Ok.  How about a quick dissertation on what you MEAN by "prepare, prepare, prepare"?  It's a great concept, but I don't always have a good idea how to go about it.

Offline X-Tuornen/LF (Geir)

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Regency: 10
  • Laela Flaertes, Duchess of Tuornen
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2009, 02:05:01 AM »
So a word of advice for the future of all adventurous spirits; prepare, prepare, prepare! Gather strength as long as you can...
ok, and so that is why you ended up as the dragon on the picture?....

;-) sorry....

Seriously!, I hope I learned something in my fight with the Orogs, and now as I know others have had …difficulties, now I am starting to get the message, I hope.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 02:09:25 AM by Tuornen/LF (Geir) »
Laela Flaertes, By the Grace of Haelyn Duchess of Tuornen

- Geir
Tuornen / LF

Offline X-Medoere & RCS/KE (Thorsten)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 22
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2009, 02:46:03 AM »
So a word of advice for the future of all adventurous spirits; prepare, prepare, prepare! Gather strength as long as you can...
ok, and so that is why you ended up as the dragon on the picture?....

;-) sorry....

Seriously!, I hope I learned something in my fight with the Orogs, and now as I know others have had …difficulties, now I am starting to get the message, I hope.

Heck, there's a reason I've nicknamed Kaven "the Maimed Knight". I believe myself prepared somewhat, and still bits and chunks of him are flying hither and fro around Anuire.
(Okay, going toe to toe against the Green Knight was NOT planned. I dreaded that outcome more than any adventure.)

I keep thinking to myself, that everytime Kaven looses yet another piece, it's Bjorn's way of saying "You where thiiis close, buddy! Notch it up the next time" and go back to the drawing table.
This is also one of the reason, I actually read up on medieval warfare and draw maps of battle formations (the one for turn #63 was not my first one)... trying to prepare for as much as I can.

I like being challenged, but I would like to face a challenge I feel myself somewhat certain I will be able to deal with (to the best of Kaven's abilities). Preparing is my way of doing that (though I never gathered an entire conclave to conduct one single adventure action, and I feel pretty sure, that I won't be going on any such adventures in the foreseeable future. Honestly, I'd rather face 5-10.000 gnolls, leading a batered and nearly broken army, than I would like to face... oh let's say for example the Red Wind, with a small group of high-level adventurers backing me up. Safety in numbers!  ;D).

Offline X-Bellam & BC/TB (Bobby)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 33
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2009, 05:10:58 AM »
Bjorn and Jon -

Alan and I spent a little while discussing Manethendar earlier tonight and brainstorming ways to even the odds if/when we go in after the Book of Laws again.  Coming off of that, I'm left with two thoughts. 

First, it'd be great to snag a couple other players who might be involved in such an adventure (off the bat, I'm thinking of some of the guys involved in the FIRST vampires adventure) to do some serious brainstorming OOC.  Alan and I had some good ideas.  A half-dozen of us could come up with some excellent ones if we pooled our brain-power.

And second, following closely on the heels of the first: would that sort of thing be inappropriate for a game like RoE?  I'd love to get some other insights into this, and lords knows that an adventure against someone as BADASS as him needs all the boosts we can come up with to succeed, but if that's the sort of thing that should happen in-character, within the much more limiting bounds of the game's normal discussions, then we'll stick to those.  I just want to know what the bounds are for OOC discussions of the game and plans.

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
  • Regency: 51
    • Twilightpeaks.net - Hone of Ruins of Empire
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2009, 09:29:06 AM »
Bjorn and Jon -

Alan and I spent a little while discussing Manethendar earlier tonight and brainstorming ways to even the odds if/when we go in after the Book of Laws again.  Coming off of that, I'm left with two thoughts. 

First, it'd be great to snag a couple other players who might be involved in such an adventure (off the bat, I'm thinking of some of the guys involved in the FIRST vampires adventure) to do some serious brainstorming OOC.  Alan and I had some good ideas.  A half-dozen of us could come up with some excellent ones if we pooled our brain-power.

And second, following closely on the heels of the first: would that sort of thing be inappropriate for a game like RoE?  I'd love to get some other insights into this, and lords knows that an adventure against someone as BADASS as him needs all the boosts we can come up with to succeed, but if that's the sort of thing that should happen in-character, within the much more limiting bounds of the game's normal discussions, then we'll stick to those.  I just want to know what the bounds are for OOC discussions of the game and plans.

I have no problems with OCC discussions; players do that all the time, and I see no reason to disallow it here. As long as you keep the meta/OOC stuff out of the actual game I'd even recommend it.
DM Bjørn

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2009, 09:30:49 AM »
Ok.  How about a quick dissertation on what you MEAN by "prepare, prepare, prepare"?  It's a great concept, but I don't always have a good idea how to go about it.

Indeed. And sometimes the DM sets up things so that you feel compelled to jump into the well feet first.

On the other hand, if you take the Obelisk adventure, there was little reason to gather the regents of several domains and just blunder down there without really checking out a little beforehand...
DM Bjørn

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2009, 09:32:55 AM »
By rights entering the Shadow World should give players pause and make them reconsider...but I see them jumping straight into the well, so to speak. Me thinks it is the players that just HAVE to know what is on the other side.

In this case, I didn't see that we had a lot of options.  Divinations weren't providing a lot of guidance, and the thieves were systematically cutting their trail behind them at each step, changing couriers and locations.  In the Shadow World, whatever trail they might leave would vanish quickly, and without a trail to follow, we could very well never find them again - and the Book of Laws is too valuable to just write off as a loss.  Maybe it looks different from the other side of the DM screen.

Now, the only thing that is difficult in a PbeM game is to drive the story forward (players are too reluctant to add things to the story) and to evoke a sense of CHOICE in the span of just a few posts...

I'm never quite certain how much to add.  Several times things I've written or seen others write have been interpreted very differently from how they were intended (at times with unfortunate consequences) or ignored/changed due to the needs of the pre-existing story.  I've settled back into doing reactions instead.

Playing by post isn't easy. It takes practice. And in RoE it is intended to be but a small part of the greater whole, so its extra difficult to tell a good/involved story that also have some choices/opportunities for the players to drive the story. We'll just have to keep practicing  :)
DM Bjørn

Offline X-EOM/SS (Marco)

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Regency: 4
« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2009, 09:50:32 AM »

Indeed. And sometimes the DM sets up things so that you feel compelled to jump into the well feet first.

On the other hand, if you take the Obelisk adventure, there was little reason to gather the regents of several domains and just blunder down there without really checking out a little beforehand...

I totally agree with Bjorn. I'm thinking I was too rushy in starting the adventure of the Obelisk.