Author Topic: PBEM Building  (Read 11845 times)

Offline X-Tornilen/SM (Alexander)

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Regency: 22
  • Duchess Marya Tanar
Re: PBEM Building
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2009, 09:02:10 AM »
Ok, that bad thing about brainstorming is that you occasionally get some... mediocre stuff out there. Been rethinking the alignment bit and the utter futility of making a do's and dont's list for every alignment. Not going to do that, it would also turn the whole thing far too board-gamey. This is supposed to be a rpg, not only a strategy game.

Anyway, the core remains:
Character alignment is a roleplaying tool and only has an effect on the area of play. Good roleplay often means occasionally going against your alignment and having to fight to stay within the bounds of it. I don't want negative consequences for either direction you take it in.
Domain alignment has an effect on the domain level. Breaking your domain's alignment can lead to regency loss, as the mystical connection between you domain and you weakens. Breaking your domain alignment publicly can lead to stability loss in addition to regency loss.

The do's and dont's... I'll keep them off the table. Most of us know the alignments and what they mean anyway. Evil is about being selfish and powerful, good is about being egletarian and just. Lawful is about sticking to a code and playing within the rules of society, chaotic is about personal freedom. Pure neutral is about preserving the status quo and not bothering others, nor let them bother you.

That being said, I think I'll be warning players when they are about to break their domains alignment. Sometimes the players and I can have different ideas about what an alignment means - it's best to tell people when they're stretching the bounds, so they don't feel blind-sided when they suddenly take stability or regency loss. (Like Bjørn has been warning a few of us by now).
Marya Tanar, The Sword Mage
Duchess and Mage of Tornilen