RoE Archive > Courts of Anuire

Goblins as citizens, challenges of modern realms

(1/4) > >>

X-Elinie/RiD (Niels):
Patriarch Rashid ibn Daouta invites the lords of Anuire to air their opinions on the topic; "Goblins as citizens, challenges of modern realms."
The form is by open letter, that is, a copy is made available to all regents that have diplomatic channels open to Elinie. - The debate takes place over several months of the spring and may continue well into summer.
Rashid is the Duke of Elinie, and along with Mhoried, Osoerde and several other regents, he has holdings in the goblin realm of Markazor. He begins the debate with an open letter;

"By the Grace of Haelyn, the human race have expanded everywhere, across the surface of Cerilia. We have had dealings with dwarves, elves and halflings and these races have integrated into our realms and live peacefully in mutual understanding.

The orogs are beasts with a culture steeped in violence, too far gone for peaceful relations. The goblins have historically been treated as pests, vermin to be driven out or destroyed.

However, with the taming of Markazor, goblins now swear fealty to human masters and present us with a conundrum aswell as an opportunity.

This is the reason for this discussion. A noble is obliged to protect his people from the predations of monsters, but when the "people" are what passed for monsters, mere years ago, what then, does the good regent do?

More pointedly, what does the regent do, when the people are preyed upon, not by monsters, but misguided but wellmeaning forces of good... Say Paladins for instance."

X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper):
The goblins have been treated as pests because they behave as pests and have always done so. Inherently they are creatures of evil nature.

For the sake of argument I will carry on with this, in my eyes, rather derailed discussion.
One could argue the orogs, should they swear fealty to a human master, should be protected by said human masters.

Myth has several examples to this; among those the story of the Drake comes to mind. He was master of the Orogs who in turn worshipped him as a dark good sacrificing plunder and slaves to him. I believe he protected them when it suited his own dark ends. Orogs seems not to be particularly happy about other humans though and besides their rumored worship of the Drake the orogs worship a fell demon; an ancient demon of some sort, summoned by Azrai. These nice creatures worship demons much as do the goblins who now call you their master.

I wonder what sort of master you is calling these creatures your citizens and I believe that the continued cooperation between “your” goblins and the wild goblins bare testimony to the impossibility of civilized goblins. These creatures are your pawns and you protect them and give them a safe haven where they can regain their former strength.

How does Elinie’s state faith LPA perceive this?
Do LPA sanction Goblins as civilized creatures and count them among their communion?

X-Elinie/RiD (Niels):
I will not speak for the LPA, but note that they have already converted many goblins in Sutren Hills to the grace of Avanalae.

Know also, that the law of Elinie is in effect in the Hills, not the laws of Markazor that was.

Anyone able to call themselves sentient and live within the rules of said law, will be given sanctuary.

Obviously, monsters such as undead that cannot sustain themselves without causing the misery of other people are illegal, as they are in all of Anuire.

Indeed, Elinie is blessed with a multitude of species. We should not, and will not, go about slaying them out of hand. what about the Great Dragon in Hope's Demise? - The lizard folk that works and worships it?

The dwarves, elves and halflings?

Any bully will be treated evenly, orog, goblin or human. Actions, not heritage, will decide if you are monster or friend.

This does not mean that a citizen of Elinie, can do crimes in another country and then flee back, to escape just prosecution. There are rules and regulations for these things, and they must be respected without exception.

If we do not, then all that will remain is Chaos.

Many humans fought for Azrai. Many declared their allegience to the Dark. We have not slain all descendants of those who did this. Indeed, to assume that the crimes of their forefathers are carried by the children will begin a spiral of ever expanding violence and suffering.

Some, that live today, even carry the taint of the Azrai blood, but are well functioning people that do not do more evil, than any other man. It is not until a man allows himself to succumb to his dark side, and acts upon it, that he should be punished for his deeds.

This should not be interpreted to mean that due dilligence and observance should be neglected. Indeed the opposite.

Does the holy Pontiff speak for Osoerde and Mhoried? - Is his words to be taken as meaning, that goblins peacefully living in the Markazor provinces invaded by these two proud nations, are due to be hunted down and slain?

Although few in number, there are bound to be goblins blessed with blood of Holy derivation. Are they to be slain too? - Simply for being goblins?

What of Vosgard oh Holy Pontiff? - They are hard men of a hard land, and many of their traditions are harsh to the pampered eyes of civilized Anuire. Should they be slain as a matter of principle too?

X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper):
Please will the Duke of Elinie point to where I said to slay all goblins outright?

Do not quote me for things I have not said. I said "The goblins have been treated as pests because they behave as pests". I was not specific as to who have been treating them as pests.

LPA having goblins in their church is new to me and give cause for greater scrutiny of LPA’s Modus Operandi. This matter however will not be dealt with here.

X-Elinie/RiD (Niels):
My sincerest and deepest apologies High Pontiff. It is now clear to me, that you do not consider goblins pests, but courageously, only as creatures of inherently evil nature.

The distinction is most subtle your Holiness, I missed the nuances of your good and chivalrous opinion.

I will convey the just feelings of the High Pontiff to all the people of Elinie, that there be left no doubt on the rulership of the combined churches of Haelyn, for whom only the High Pontiff may speak.

Most noble Pontiff, by the Grace of Haelyn, may reason ever light your path.

Does anyone else wish their voice be heard?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version