RoE Development > Regent Guide

Prepare realm spell

(1/3) > >>

DM B:
I'm contemplating making Prepare Realm Spell available as a realm action; where you'd spend 1 court action per extra spell prepared. This should allow magic-users to recover their spells more quickly, provided they maintain decent courts. In practice this would benefit priests the most, as well as those mages who are also landed and have decent courts. Not sure if that's a good match.

Anyway, this obviously adds to spell-caster power, but in practice spell-casters are limited by available GB - and more important - RP; even a high-level caster has only so many RP income each turn, and realm spells eat up your RP frighteningly fast. So this reduces the utility of regaining spells quickly.

The problem is that this new realm option doesn't require anything; there is no DDC, so there is no risk associated with using it...and that I don't like.

Input?

X-Osoerde (Alan):
I personally I think it is a pretty cool rule.

I don't think it is neccessary to tie a failure rate, but rather associate an additional GB/RP cost to realm spells prepared with a realm action.

X-MOC/Leman States (Even):
There is still the risk of the spell casting itself failing, so it'll counter any tendency for abuse somewhat.

DM B:
And there is still the problem of RP...

X-Osoerde (Alan):

--- Quote from: MOC/Leman States (Even) on December 14, 2008, 03:19:12 PM ---There is still the risk of the spell casting itself failing, so it'll counter any tendency for abuse somewhat.

--- End quote ---

I should say that while the rules state this is true, in all the turns I played, not once did a realm spell I or a LT cast fail...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version