Author Topic: A few questions  (Read 5512 times)

Offline X-Elinie/RiD (Niels)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 19
  • Formerly Star of the East
A few questions
« on: January 21, 2009, 01:18:13 PM »
Hey there

I'm tinkering with building Rashid, and have a few questions that I'd like other players to give input to. Naturally, the DM's are more than welcome too.  ;D

I'm currently using point buy from the DMG 3,5 and using 25 points. Damn that is few. Does anyone know if we should use 25 points or one of the heftier bonus pools?

Secondly, do we use the BCRS optional rules for Paladins or not? - Its a radical change, both in available powers and lvl for spellcasting for a Paladin of Avanalae. - For now I just use the standard rules, where Smite Evil becomes Smite Chaos.

And I have "house ruled" that a Paladin of Avanalae has an Aura of Law rather than an aura of Good. - OK?

I also see that Noble has a power that allows them to call in a favor, basically its an extra income source/mild espionage action. - It has a chance of provoking an Event. What kind of action should this be written as in the DO? (Maybe a Regent question really)

I'm going to use the "select powers" option from BRCS, any thoughts on that, reasonable or not, combo's that should not be done or is perceived as overpowered?

So far my eyes are set on the very flavorful animal affinity. Naturally I can talk with eagles. Makes perfect sense. Just too bad they are all bird-brained.  ;D

Other than that I'm not sure what to pick, other than maybe long-lived of some degree. Am 46 already!  :)
Formerly: His Grace, Patriarch Rashid ibn Daouta, Last Imperial Duke of the Eastern Marches, Duke of Elinie, Master of Sutren Hills, Holy Paladin of Avanalae, Light of Reason.

Offline X-MOC/Leman States (Even)

• Ser Engineer
  • Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 16
  • Patriarch Leman States
Re: A few questions
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 02:10:33 PM »
My first recommendation would be to ignore the BRCS. It is very different to the ethos of RoE.

Have a look at the old FAQ & House rules files over at the yahoogroups (too big to attach to this post). Have a wander arund the Scion's Handbook section there as well. That should give you a flavour of the rules. But remember that the rules have likely changed many times since then, as per the words of the the ever fickle DM himself:
Q: What’s with all this rules tinkering anyway?
A: I suppose it is in part because some of the rules weren’t very good in the first place and in part because this is a PBeM and not a face-to-face RPG I also just LIKE tinkering with the system (just ask Torleif, he has been forced to cope with more rules revisions than any other player in existence…).

And don't expect the DMs to pay much attention to the character part, at the moment at least. They seem busy getting the domains and rest of the game up and running.
"We are RuinsofEmpire now, and when we act, we create our own reality."

Offline X-Tuornen/LF (Geir)

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Regency: 10
  • Laela Flaertes, Duchess of Tuornen
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 02:32:11 PM »
Hi

Sounds fun! :-)

I’m all new to ROE but I have gotten the impression that details for characters are mostly for flavour and a little background.
In short what I get from mails and forum posts is that in-game character skills and feats will not be used. Even exact levels will not be important.
Characters are regarded as units would; they are in the range of Green to Elite, or Epic for a few NPCs.
So, it can be great fun to pick skills and feats for a character, and set up weapons and armour choices, but it will not be reflected in the game. It’s just for flavour.
One can get a few bonus points for actions if one makes an effort in doing background and fleshing out characters, but that’s it.

Maybe I got it all wrong, or not quite right?

- Geir
Tuornen / LF

Hey there

I'm tinkering with building Rashid, and have a few questions that I'd like other players to give input to. Naturally, the DM's are more than welcome too.  ;D

I'm currently using point buy from the DMG 3,5 and using 25 points. Damn that is few. Does anyone know if we should use 25 points or one of the heftier bonus pools?

Secondly, do we use the BCRS optional rules for Paladins or not? - Its a radical change, both in available powers and lvl for spellcasting for a Paladin of Avanalae. - For now I just use the standard rules, where Smite Evil becomes Smite Chaos.

And I have "house ruled" that a Paladin of Avanalae has an Aura of Law rather than an aura of Good. - OK?

I also see that Noble has a power that allows them to call in a favor, basically its an extra income source/mild espionage action. - It has a chance of provoking an Event. What kind of action should this be written as in the DO? (Maybe a Regent question really)

I'm going to use the "select powers" option from BRCS, any thoughts on that, reasonable or not, combo's that should not be done or is perceived as overpowered?

So far my eyes are set on the very flavorful animal affinity. Naturally I can talk with eagles. Makes perfect sense. Just too bad they are all bird-brained.  ;D

Other than that I'm not sure what to pick, other than maybe long-lived of some degree. Am 46 already!  :)
Laela Flaertes, By the Grace of Haelyn Duchess of Tuornen

- Geir
Tuornen / LF

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 03:25:25 PM »
Alright I will look at the old files... Didn't know there were rules for creating scions there at all.  :)

And I completely agree that its mostly for flavor, but one important lesson I've already learned, is that if you have a 16, then most of your other stats are 10-12ish, and you'll probably have at least one 8. - Now, this impacts a character in his dealings with others. you will not find someone who is simultaneously very strong and very bright.

He might be bright and very strong, or very bright and not a weakling. And this means a different approach when he deals with obstacles.

Also, it helps me to see exactly how many skills its feasible to know, and at what levels. At the same time, fitting them into the description given for the character, it makes it appearent where the character can improve, and how much work it will be for him to do so, if he finds reason to try.

Finally, I've been an avid reader of the Wraith adventure, and here its clear that a firm knowledge of your characters capabilities gives a much easier time when trying to describe a valid way to attack a challenge.

It also means I get a stronger connection with my character, and thats always good.  :)
Formerly: His Grace, Patriarch Rashid ibn Daouta, Last Imperial Duke of the Eastern Marches, Duke of Elinie, Master of Sutren Hills, Holy Paladin of Avanalae, Light of Reason.

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 08:20:21 PM »
Can't access the files without someone to approve membership of the group... Narf!

• Ser Engineer
  • Former players
  • Regent
  • Patriarch Leman States
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009, 08:48:35 PM »
Check if you can access them now.

Offline X-Tuornen/LF (Geir)

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Regency: 10
  • Laela Flaertes, Duchess of Tuornen
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2009, 01:08:39 AM »
Check if you can access them now.

me too plz :-)

- Geir
Tuornen / LF
Laela Flaertes, By the Grace of Haelyn Duchess of Tuornen

- Geir
Tuornen / LF

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2009, 08:07:04 AM »
Thanks! - Got access now. Will scan after work.  :)

• Ser Engineer
  • Former players
  • Regent
  • Patriarch Leman States
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2009, 08:46:00 AM »
me too plz :-)

- Geir
Tuornen / LF

Should be done now.

Offline X-Mhoried/Droene Kavarra (Iasonas)

• Former players
  • Scion
  • Regency: 3
  • The Mhor, Droene Kavarra
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2009, 11:34:03 PM »
Could I have an invite in the yahoogroups as well? I could use some background history found there.
Droene Kavarra.
The Mhor.
The land is inherited,
The respect is earned.