Author Topic: Characters and skills  (Read 11415 times)

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
  • Regency: 51
    • Twilightpeaks.net - Hone of Ruins of Empire
Characters and skills
« on: November 27, 2008, 02:52:03 PM »
The following table will be used for every character-skill that has any bearing on the game (mostly administration, command, warcraft, spellcraft; maybe a few others).

Each character has a level that falls within a specified range; most regents and/or able assistance will be medium or high level.

Unskilled: Character is completely unsuitable for the task. Example: Wizards and Command.
Skilled: Character has some skill, but it's not his primary focus. Example: A fighter sovereign that has never shown much interest in Administration.
Expert: Character is very skilled for his level; this within his area of expertise. Example: A multi-class noble that has maxed out his ranks in Warcraft.
Master: Character has pursued the skill with singular focus; he has max ranks, one or more feats to support it, and a good ability score keyed to that skill. Example: An expert who has maxed out his Admin skill, his Int, purchased Skill Focus (Admin) and a regional feat giving a bonus to Admin.

TABLE 6-2 GENERAL SKILL LEVELS
Character level   Master   Expert   Skilled   Unskilled
Low             1-3         +8   +6   +4   +2
Medium      4-6       +12   +9   +6   +3
High              7-9       +16   +12   +8   +4
Very high    10-12     +20   +15   +10   +5
Legendary 13-15   +24   +18   +12   +6
Near epic     16-20     +28   +21   +14   +7
Epic             21+        +32   +24   +16   +8

Rhuobhe is an Epic level character that is an Expert of Command, Warcraft, and Spellcraft. He's a skilled administrator as well, thanks to his high Int.
DM Bjørn

Offline X-Tornilen/SM (Alexander)

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Regency: 22
  • Duchess Marya Tanar
Re: Characters and skills
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2008, 03:14:35 PM »
So in order to figure out our character's bonus, we just look at our class levels and character levels, right? There is no need to actually spend skill points, feats, etc. to justify our rating or to try and gain a high rating?

Fx. If my regents class levels are fighter 10/rogue 1 I would count him as expert in command, warcraft and skilled in administration - so my bonuses would be warcraft +15, command +15, administration +10.

SOmething like that? Or do I actually need to go in and detail skills, stats, feats, etc. to figure out where my character lies - which I understand this system was designed to avoid.
Marya Tanar, The Sword Mage
Duchess and Mage of Tornilen

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
  • Regency: 51
    • Twilightpeaks.net - Hone of Ruins of Empire
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2008, 03:22:26 PM »
So in order to figure out our character's bonus, we just look at our class levels and character levels, right? There is no need to actually spend skill points, feats, etc. to justify our rating or to try and gain a high rating?

Fx. If my regents class levels are fighter 10/rogue 1 I would count him as expert in command, warcraft and skilled in administration - so my bonuses would be warcraft +15, command +15, administration +10.

SOmething like that? Or do I actually need to go in and detail skills, stats, feats, etc. to figure out where my character lies - which I understand this system was designed to avoid.

You're absolutely correct.

You're still free to write out your regent in detail if you'd like, but we're using the above figures.
DM Bjørn

Offline X-Roesone/ARR (Robert)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 18
  • Arvour Raemel, Baron of Roesone
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2008, 08:36:56 PM »
How do we "guess" whether our character is a master of a particular skill, an expert ot skilled?

Will there be any guidelines as to how many of each particular degrees of skill one can choose?

I.E. Can a fighter be a master of warcraft and skilled in command or expert in both or...
Arvour Raemel, by the Grace of Haelyn Baron of Roesone etc, Champion of Cuiraecen

Offline X-LPA/Gaerred Khaiarén (Gray)

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Regency: 10
  • High Hierophant Gaerred Khaiarén
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2008, 11:43:26 PM »
How do we "guess" whether our character is a master of a particular skill, an expert ot skilled?

Will there be any guidelines as to how many of each particular degrees of skill one can choose?

I.E. Can a fighter be a master of warcraft and skilled in command or expert in both or...

I was thinking about this a bit as well.  For the most part, I think most of this is already inherent in the particular character history and/or character concepts.

For instance:
The young man once known as William Moergan has always been charismatic, a trait uncommon amongst what was once House Moergan.  While a fugitive from Duke Raneach, it was only by hope in his character and his ability make allies (on a personal level) that allow him to oppose and evade the Duke's men for some many years.  As he came into manhood, this manifested even more. (Heightened Ability: Charisma/Major)

After the his death at the hands of the Sworn Lovers and subsequent resurrection, William became Osoer.   Through the aid of allies, William inflicted a string of defeats upon Duke Raneach, showing abnormal talent in warfare and while this was largely unexpected, it became apparent that William had manifested one of the legacies of House Osoer. (Battlewise/Major)

When Osoer & Jaison where reconciled, Osoer spent most of his time in campaigning on behalf of the Iron King -- serving as a general against the Goblin hordes. 

William continues to show great brilliance at warfare, nearly dealing a tragic defeat to House Diem during the Southern Alliance/Ghoerean Kingdom war.

William is Master of Warcraft and Command, even more so due to blood.  He is utterly unskilled at matters of administration, relying almost wholly on a slew of well-trained administrators.  And while he is charismatic, he had a tendency to alienate domains, even though he is often well-liked and considered personable; he is only skilled diplomacy.

This was all to say, that most characters already seem to have their skill levels partly, if not largely, dictated by the actual character history.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 11:45:07 PM by LPA/MH (Gray) »

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2008, 12:03:37 AM »
I like the description but I'm not sure that any character should be allowed to be master of 2 different skills. Even Rhuobhe from Bjorn's example is expert of 3 skills and master of none.
Arvour Raemel, by the Grace of Haelyn Baron of Roesone etc, Champion of Cuiraecen

Offline X-DM Jon

• Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Regency: 21
  • Slide
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2008, 12:19:01 AM »
I like the description but I'm not sure that any character should be allowed to be master of 2 different skills. Even Rhuobhe from Bjorn's example is expert of 3 skills and master of none.

Well that part is already part of the master description. "The character has pursued the skill with a singular focus"

Apart from that it's actually hard to make accurate distinctions, because it's so very dependant on character levels. Rogues and nobles are awash in skill pts, but a rogue doesn't have warcraft as a class skill. Etc. etc.

But it's clear enough that this rule needs to be syncronized with the hire help action.

F.e.x
Professional: Max Expert skill, variable skilled.
Elite: Max master skill, variable skilled.

• Former players
  • Noble
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2008, 01:27:09 AM »

Just an example, wasn't meant to be the truth -- particularly since I have no idea what Osoers levels are like.

On a side note, it is probably very unlikely to find someone who is a master of warcraft -- it basically entails constantly going from war to war, etc.  Seems a little hazardous, I think.

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2008, 01:41:54 AM »
Just your typical Cuiraecenite, actually :)

As far as I understand it, the level only figures in the table for the purposes of determining the exact numbers. Thus Rhuobhe's epic expertise equals the mastery of a legendary character (both +24).

• Former players
  • Noble
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2008, 01:56:33 AM »
Just your typical Cuiraecenite, actually :)

As far as I understand it, the level only figures in the table for the purposes of determining the exact numbers. Thus Rhuobhe's epic expertise equals the mastery of a legendary character (both +24).

Battle and Warcraft, are severely different.  While I might agree that Cuiraecenites range from battle to battle, that doesn't mean that that they wage war well. 

Isn't Haelyn the God of War?

Offline X-Haelyn's Aegis/RK (Andy)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 42
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2008, 05:05:19 PM »
I would expect that both faiths study war and the art of being a general - not merely battle skills.  Likewise some nobles could have gone to a military academy rather than had personal tutors. 

Schools like Winchester (1382) and Eton (1440) and universities like Cambridge Uni (1284) and Oxford (1598) go waaay back in the UK so some equivalent in Anuire is quite possible - likely in the city of Anuire, Avanil, Dieme or Boeruine.  Given the cultural emphasis on war I'd expect it to be taught at such places.

Of course, whether it is taught well is another question.  :P

In terms of danger, the general may be relatively safe - they likely avoid much of the direct fighting, are likely to be captured and ransomed not killed out of hand (Brandon Boer aside), etc.  I'd expect generals to have a better life expectancy than champions...
Robhan Khaiarén
High Marshal of Haelyn's Aegis
Work hard, walk with honour, be justly rewarded

Offline X-Osoerde (Alan)

• The Dragon
  • Former players
  • Sovereign
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2008, 07:16:09 PM »
I would expect that both faiths study war and the art of being a general - not merely battle skills.  Likewise some nobles could have gone to a military academy rather than had personal tutors. 

Schools like Winchester (1382) and Eton (1440) and universities like Cambridge Uni (1284) and Oxford (1598) go waaay back in the UK so some equivalent in Anuire is quite possible - likely in the city of Anuire, Avanil, Dieme or Boeruine.  Given the cultural emphasis on war I'd expect it to be taught at such places.

Of course, whether it is taught well is another question.  :P

In terms of danger, the general may be relatively safe - they likely avoid much of the direct fighting, are likely to be captured and ransomed not killed out of hand (Brandon Boer aside), etc.  I'd expect generals to have a better life expectancy than champions...

I think Gray is thinking more in terms of alignment.  I don't really imagine chaotic-natured entities doing so well had organized warfare.  In a number of cases, RoE also seems to portray this, such as is the case with goblins armies, gnoll armies and the like.  They have viciousness, they have cunning, but they don't often have well-constructed battle-lines, etc, etc.
Yes, wyrmling, the meat is made all the more tender by armor...

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2008, 11:18:44 PM »
I could imagine Leman States being a master of command and Robhan Khaiaren a master of warcraft with both of them being experts or skilled in the other of the two war skills.

Offline X-Osoerde (Alan)

• The Dragon
  • Former players
  • Sovereign
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2008, 03:18:39 PM »
I don't imagine any regent being a master of any skill really.  I would imagine that the dedicate neccessary for such is well-outside the realities for any regent, whom always have a need to cross-specialize or at least be knowledge in the basics of many things.
Yes, wyrmling, the meat is made all the more tender by armor...

Offline X-DM Jon

• Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Slide
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2009, 08:28:27 PM »

Bjørn we need some guidelines to go with on this.