RoE General > The Sage (Questions & Answers)

Shadow Ward

(1/4) > >>

X-CJS/Ruormad Coumain (Tristan):

--- Quote ---Spell Effect: Gives a +1 loyalty modifier, as the common people fear the Shadow, and are grateful for any protection.
--- End quote ---

A +1 loyalty modifier to what?

I can see a couple of likely options:
1) Province prosperity.
2) All actions taken by the caster in the province for the duration of the spell.

Option 1 is the quick and easy solution, however the benefit accrues to the province owner and not the casting temple. Considering that it's a loyalty modifier this option seems wrong to me.

Option 2 seems to be the intent of the spell in my opinion, the people feel grateful to the person who cast the spell and in return make their life a little bit easier when they try to do things.

X-Bellam & BC/TB (Bobby):
More probably prosperity - the populace would feel safer under this protection.

X-Osoerde (Alan):
Prospertiy without question.  The difference being that this isn't a temporary bonus, I believe (so it is like an agitate action occured in the province).

X-CJS/Ruormad Coumain (Tristan):

--- Quote from: Bellam & BC/TB (Bobby) on December 22, 2010, 01:50:40 AM ---More probably prosperity - the populace would feel safer under this protection.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: Osoerde/William Osoer (Alan) on December 22, 2010, 01:58:43 AM ---Prospertiy without question.  The difference being that this isn't a temporary bonus, I believe (so it is like an agitate action occured in the province).

--- End quote ---

Initially prosperity jumped into my head as the most appropriate thing, but after some further thought I'm not sure that it is what is intended. In fact I don't even think that it is the best way to apply the +1 loyalty modifier.

Consider the situation where the spell is cast. The temple regent spends a significant amount of time and effort, their priests are out and about, casting spells and wardings accross the land and gathering the faithful. The spell is cast and there is a pervasive effect of divine magic accross the land.

So obviously the people feel safer, but what it comes down to is who do the people feel loyal towards for this safety?

If you are saying that the modifier is to prosperity then the people feel more loyal towards the province owner as a side effect of a spell cast by a temple?

This just doesn't come accross as being internally consistent to me.

Personally I think the +1 modifier to actions taken in the province by the casting temple for the duration of the spell makes more sense.

This is something that can then be converted to prosperity improvments via (slightly) easier agitates etc if the temple is in good with the province owner.

X-Osoerde (Alan):
Incidentally, the prosperity effect isn't caused directly by the spell, it is more of an indirect benefit (at least as the spell description alludes). 

But to respond to you...

Prosperity, 99.9% of the time, affects all domains within the province equally - not just the province ruler.  Landed regents do suffer from its effects more readily though (land regents are more directly tied to the land and people in a sense), but prosperity is a huge amalgamation of numerous factors all which points towards the general welfare and state of a province.  Domain loyalty is also represented by the stability score.  A negative score to stability often represents a domain that is going to go through some very difficult times.

From the regent guide:

All provinces also have a prosperity level, which is a measure of how well things are going in that province.

Prosperity is a catchall for the many factors that combine to make a province either effective or ineffective. It includes loyalty to the province ruler, but is also a measure of the general well-being of the province.
Prosperity is divided into a number of levels, each of which affects the ruler's ability to govern, collect taxes, and so forth. Prosperity is affected by taxation, wars, random event, and hostile or friendly manipulation (agitate domain actions for example).

Low prosperity means less income and an increase in action difficulty, while high prosperity leads to higher income and lower action difficulty.

Prosperity is applied differently depending on the type of action; often it will apply in equal measure to all domains taking action within the province, not just to the province ruler. For other actions prosperity only applies to the ruler and his allies (such as a state faith). However, in the case of domains that are openly hostile to the province ruler, the DM can rule that a low prosperity may actually aid actions taken against the province ruler or his allies, and vice versa.

Example: The Baron of Roesone has a very low prosperity in Caercas, meaning that the people are pretty dissatisfied. When his enemy, the Duke of Diemed, agitates against him, he actually gets a decrease in the DDC of his agitate action.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version