Other Games > Anathema

Prelude: Cadian Dawn (IC)

<< < (66/66)

LordPsycho:

--- Quote from: Dragon Lord on June 20, 2014, 06:10:53 AM ---Azrael turned back to the doors of the bridge.

"If you will follow me, I will show you the extent of the damage and introduce you to our new Captain."

If Rhein was listening carefully he might have noted just a hint of sarcasm when he said the word Captain.

"You may want to ask your followers to remain out here."

With that he keyed the doors to open and stepped through.

As he did so Kremiel looked up at the sound.
--- End quote ---

Captain Kremiel is interrupted in his contemplation and raises the head.
Azrael just returned, accompanied by another persona.

The Space Marine takes a quick look back on the eye, but the latter disappeared, leaving him with a strange sensation, as if waking from a dream.

He sighs and walks slowly toward Azrael and the other man.

--- Quote ---After he had walked forward a few steps, Azrael stopped by the Dark Angel.

"Rhein, allow me to introduce you to Watch-Captain Kremiel of the Dark Angels.  Kremiel, this is Rhein, a tech-adept who recently arrived.  His warband is assisting in holding the main entrance, and I am hoping he will be able to assist me with the repairs to the bridge."

--- End quote ---

"This one does not looks like a tech-adept." thinks Kremiel.

"Glad to meet you, Rhein. No cybernetics, no red robes ?...

His cold eyes behold Azrael, then return to Rhein.

"Anyway, please do your best together to ensure that the ship can leave this doomed planet as soon as possible."

Rhein:
After the dust had settled outside and an eery silence washed over the fields of bodies (except for the occasional agonized screams of the deceasing) the Carbideblest turned on what remained of the formerly big warband of the wulfen. They were not to take chances with this rabble, especially with what remained of his bodyguard openly swearing at the Carbideblest cowardice who obviously used them as their meatshield, themselves only taking a (literally) couple of fatalities. It was a quick, unexpected death - their remains were mopped up while they were yet trying to reorganize, just getting out of their cover, tending to their wounded. They would have had a severe lack of confidence into those that would easily betray Hrothgars warband and their comrades just to join the Carbideblest Newborn - and letting them live to spread word or grow to strength again was out of question.

Rhein gave his warband a call to use some other recruiting methods after his small chat with the Astartes - if one thing was for sure, then, it was that they trusted each other as far as they could throw a dreadnought. Which wasn't too far, speaking for Rhein.

"That is probably why I am still alive, Captain. A carapace armor has some considerable advantages compared to a red robe. Shouldn't you know better to judge a book by his cover, but I guess I am not the one to judge you either. Huh. I admit I did not expect an Astartes out here. Less a full squad of Dark Angels - you wouldn't be full of surprises, too, would you?"

One would guess the fact that the Dark Angel did not outright shoot him for this tease was a good sign. There again, what Rhein could grant the captain instead of judging him was solid help of getting this ship of Cadia faster.. and some personel that could probably help operate the bridge, after the battle would have subsided. He on the otherwise was awarded with the Dark Angels protection for as long as his warband was on this ship. Still, even while their small chat included some smirks, teasing and pleasentries it was clear to both of them that their timely alliance was born out of necessity, not out of trust.

Following Rheins instructions, the Carbideblest began to dismantle armour parts from their warmachines as well as store them in the hall behind the main entrance and send some backup in form of ex-techpriest Trueborn that could prove to be a boon in repairing the ships bridge. Inclusive bodyguards. In the meanwhile the rest of them split up to set up camp in the main floor and make it more defensible and suitable to their needs.. and to loot the battlefield of everything remotely useable and grant the dying the mercy of a quick end. Angelica on the other hand, on Rheins personal orders stalked the battleground for potential recruits to bolster their ranks: individuals that could prove to be a worthwile addition to the Newborn. She found quiet a couple of crippled and mortaly wounded that had shown some courage and skill in the slaughter and, after apologizing in the name of the Carbideblest, offered them the possibility to live a new life under their banner in exchange for medical treatment and bionical replacements, now that their old life has come to an end. It was misfortune that they ended up on the opposing front and thus had to meet their ultimate end, but a select few of those that fought so hard for their survival would thus be given another chance to perform better - and to join ranks with much more advisable company.

Whilst a few of them insisted on harboring something you could call a negative attitude towards her and thus signed their death sentence (quiet knowingly, you could guess), most of those individuals she had noticed in the past slaughter were too canny to reject this offer. Now flooded with injured (and comatose), the Newborns infantry would still grow quiet effectively as soon as these battleproof veterans were able to get properly integrated into their Legionares after their treatment and rehabilitation. Should everything work out as planned, the abundance of time while travelling through space would work for them.

Meanwhile tech-adepts of the Trueborn had reached the bridge and a task schedule had been set up. Chief-Assembler Norr had been sent to the battlefield to harvest some living, organic replacement parts for the damages (and fatalities) of the servitor crew, following the instructions of 'Magos' Azrael. The Trueborns had mostly been assigned to superficial and more crude damages, since their battle armament misfortunately made it impossible to conduct more delicate repairs, leaving them to Azrael and Rhein.

"I must admit", the latter canted smirking, "the pace and fineness of your damage analysis of servitor units CGU-197X and CGF-524H was quiet a joy. It has been a while to work with a.. superior mind."

DM B:
Time to move: You've had the chance for some fighting and interaction. Now the ship will take off, commanded by the newly self-promoted Watch-Captain who's claiming to be acting on the Inquisitor's behalf...

You can of course continue to bicker, plot and explore once the ship is off the ground!

---

The ship has been repaired to the best of Azrael's (considerable) abilities. Moreover the vessel has been pried loose from the ruins of the outpost city, and made ready to take off (not as advanced, but requiring lots of labour). The various warbands have taken their places on board, met violent ends, or simply been left to rot on the carnage fields around the vessel. When the ship finally clears the ground there are a lot of prayers offered to a great variety of gods, saints, and daemons in thanks...

None too soon I might add: As the ship starts to lumber up and away there is a tremendous explosion in the heart of Kasr Hemshin, like a thousand nuclear fires has been lit at the same time. The voidship's shields and hull protects it from the worst of the radiation, the heat pulse, and the force of the blast, but still you are buffered and thrown about. Next there is a sickening feeling of falling, as the explosion suddenly becomes an implosion, sucking everything back in towards the centre. All on board fear you will be consumed, but the moment of dangers passes - the ship, and Azrael's repairs, have held. The Sensibilious soars upwards on roaring pillars of plasma, unconstrained by the limitations of gravity.

Below you the shattered remnants of the once-mighty hive are sucked down into gaping maw of darkness, deep inside the planet's crust. Massive fault lines rip through the lands around the hive, whipping up gargantuan tsunamis, and creating devastating earthquakes. To add a final insult to injury, the very atmosphere around Hemshin catches fire, incinerating everything for hundreds of kilometres.

What could have caused such tremendous damage? A cyclonic warhead perhaps?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version