Author Topic: Turn #71 - Knights of Haelyn  (Read 9897 times)

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
  • Regency: 51
    • Twilightpeaks.net - Hone of Ruins of Empire
Turn #71 - Knights of Haelyn
« on: February 20, 2012, 11:35:08 AM »
Guy de Nichaleir has been named Auxiliary Marshal of the Crusade. He leads the forces of the Knights of Haelyn and the IHH. They have thus far concerned themselves with...mustering and gathering outside Kiedel. Forward elements have taken up positions in Alklund, guraridng the flank of the Crusade.
DM Bjørn

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
Re: Turn #71 - Knights of Haelyn
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 04:53:40 PM »
The KoH host is ready to march, mercenary siege train included. Hired last turn these dwarven veterans seem very eager to get going. Their asking prince was very high - but you know that they will fight tenaciously to bring down your target.

War move 1:

The host is delayed by heavy rains.

War move 2:

The host is delayed as the Grand-Maester is forced to respond to urgent messages from the Conclave.

War move 3:

I need to know if the Grand-Maester is going back to Anuire and/or if the KoH host will start moving.
DM Bjørn

Offline X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper)

• Sovereign
  • Regency: 18
  • Pontiff Wallac Isilviere, High Prefect of the IHH
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 10:42:12 PM »
IHH host is lead by Runil “Bloodaxe” Griene (1487 HC), General and lieutenant of the IHH: Male Anurian; Fighter 7; Andurias (Griene), weak; LG. Expert Command, Expert Warfare. General.

A grizzled old veteran who has been served Haelyn for most of his adult life. Has been with the IHH since he came as Martin Royce's captain of guards years ago. Before that he served the reformation as a NIT templar. Runil has served under 3 High Prefects (Armiendin, Royce, and Isilviere). While his name could hint otherwise he is nothing but chivalrous and fair. A soldier and a true believer in the word of the All Father.

Griene is related to Torias Griene, Hierarch of the NIT - Torias is his grand-uncle. Runil's line has only the faintest claim to a bloodline. His elder brother Sir Dorric rules a small fief in Calant. Dorric is a knight of some repute..

1 Knight, Elite
2 Armsmen mnt, Crack
2 Dragoons, Crack
2 Regulars, Skilled
4 Pikes, Skilled
4 Crossbows, Skilled
2 Skirmishers, Skilled
3 Scouts, Skilled

NB. Asked Bjørns permission for change of action since its based on my lack of ability to read a map it seems

NB part II. Permission granted from Bjørn. I wait acting untill JP is back from his illness

« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 09:40:36 AM by DM B »
His Holiness Wallac Isilviere, Pontiff of All Anuire, High Prefect of the Impregnable Heart of Haelyn

Offline X-Endier & KoH/GdN (JP)

• Count and Grand-Maester Guy de Nichaleir regent Endier (JP)
  • Former players
  • Freeman
  • Regency: 4
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 05:34:36 AM »
OoC

I will follow the plan you all have laid out. I made this post a bit vague because there was some back and forth information that I am not sure of are we storming Sendoure and Binsada or are we storming Werthangen.

IC

Guy greets General Runil of IHH warmly and states:

"I have been requested to the conclave on immediate business of the pontiff.  I will leave the start of the crusade in the capable hands of General Artheuer and yourself (Man Fighter 10 Haelyn LG).  If Wallic I, trusts you than so do I and I expect the same of my General.  He will lead the KoH and remaining bodyguards to the battle front as requested by the war committee.  They will insure the safety of the flank until such time as I can return.  I have given the General full instructions on how to proceed in my absence.  I will return as soon as possible to continue this righteous effort.  On behalf of the KoH and myself I bid you safe travels and when I return if you are not among the live then Haelyn has truly blessed you and I will see you in the afterlife.  I must depart with speed so that I may return give my good word to liege."

Sir Guy then with haste leave several instructions with the General and boards the fastest possible ship towards the conclave.
Count and Grand-Maester
Guy de Nichaleir
Regent Endier

"Haelyn himself will be your leader ... Wear his holy symbol as your badge. If you are killed your sins will be pardoned ... Let those who have been fighting against their own brothers and kinsfolk now fight lawfully against the Swordhawlks."

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 10:46:52 AM »
War move 3:

The great host starts marching. Guy may have left, but he's left his capable second-in-command as general of the KoH force.
DM Bjørn

Offline X-Endier & KoH/GdN (JP)

• Count and Grand-Maester Guy de Nichaleir regent Endier (JP)
  • Former players
  • Freeman
  • Regency: 4
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 10:09:12 PM »
OoC  I made minor changes was using turn 65 info instead of 67 when I posted it does not change the amount of troops just their level

IC

The Red Knight has left the following army in control of his LT:

Not sure what mustering has done for us but this is what I know for sure.

Knight-General Artheuer Welling: MAn; Fighter 10; Haelyn; Anduiras (Kaered), Weak; LG. Scion of a minor branch of the Kaered line. Rose to prominence during the reign of G-M Isilivere and later served G-M Anasatiae Daulton. A veteran of many campaigns (Command: Expert, Warcraft: Expert). General.
Knight-Captain Kalien 'Fellsword': MAn, Fighter 7, Haelyn, Unblooded, LG. Young and energetic. Talented battlefield commander (Command: Master, Warcraft: Skilled). He has a bit to learn about strategy. His rise through the ranks will be limited only by his lack of a bloodline. Commander.

Knights (KoH) Legendary Crusade Gen Welling
Knights (KoH) Crack Crusade Gen Welling
Mtd Armsmen (KoH) Crack Crusade Gen Welling
Mtd Armsmen (KoH) Elite Crusade Gen Welling
Mtd Armsmen (KoH) Vet Crusade Gen Welling
Pikes (KoH) Skilled Crusade Gen Welling
Scouts Green Crusade Gen Welling
Artillerists Skilled Crusade Gen Welling
Dwarven Siege train

« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 09:31:38 AM by DM B »
Count and Grand-Maester
Guy de Nichaleir
Regent Endier

"Haelyn himself will be your leader ... Wear his holy symbol as your badge. If you are killed your sins will be pardoned ... Let those who have been fighting against their own brothers and kinsfolk now fight lawfully against the Swordhawlks."

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 09:55:20 AM »
Dwarven Siege train

Commander
Engineers
Engineers
Artillerists
Guards
Crossbows
Crossbows
DM Bjørn

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 10:17:11 PM »
The KoH and IHH forces starts their march East, but their advance is complicated by long discussions over seniority, marching order, the division of provisions and supplies, etc.

By the end of the first week of the campaign the host has not managed much more than to advance along the old Imperial highway into Tinsouf.

The enemy has had more than enough time to flee or to hide inside their fortifications. They've even had time to spirit away much of the harvest that it was hoped the crusaders would benefit from.

This is not a good start.

War move 4 begins.
DM Bjørn

• Sovereign
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 11:33:06 PM »
General Ruunil Griene gazed with fatigued eyes at Knight-Commander General Artheuer and his sub commander Kalien Fellsword. All three being experienced campaigners they knew it was crucial for the morale of the men that provisions and quarters where taken care of. And now this? How had they let it come to it that the infidels had managed to sneak out their provisions right under their nose and burned down the barns that should have sheltered the troops? And for what gain? A little piece of dry land vacant of hostiles but a few holed up in relative safety?

The three veterans new they had not impressed their enemy by the dragging of feet. Now they might have let themselves fall prey to scorched earth tactic but they would try to turn it into their advantage. Perhaps the locals now expected them to move only at the pace of an Avanil noble going to a ball held by someone below their own station. If so they might catch their enemy’s rearguard unprepared.

Warmove 4:
Begin to neutralize all fortifications in Tinsouf and occupy the province. Don’t want to leave nasty surprises in our back that can cut supply I can help it. Assuming manpower allows it at same time pick up pace and push forward with all Knights, Dragoons & mounted Armsmen plus 3 scouts at highest possible speed without taking damage to cohesion along the imperial road towards Ghoudaïa through Shirshet. Would be nice to gain on the retreating enemies before they get regrouped and reinforced by tons of militia. (Oh I miss my outriders). Have the last scout unit make reconnaissance into Sulaïa to get an idea of the opposition there.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 12:38:56 AM by IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper) »
His Holiness Wallac Isilviere, Pontiff of All Anuire, High Prefect of the Impregnable Heart of Haelyn

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2012, 09:33:55 PM »
Nice narrative!

---

General Griene wiped the rain from his face. The weather had taken a turn for the worse and every day saw one or more heavy showers. Beyond the old highway the ground turned muddy and foul, making it difficult to maintain proper column security. Those set to guard the flanks or act as outriders inevitable became slowed down. It was either slow down the main force or abandon security.

And the later wasn't an option. Some local chief - Sheik Yousef-something - had organized the locals and was harassing their advance, every step of the way. Light cavalry would rush in and fire volleys at the column. They'd pushed through the scouts on several occasions. Damage was limited, but it was very tiresome. And catching them was just impossible. Griene had tired to send the scouts after them, but then they'd run into foot-soldiers - again armed with bows - and been forced to retreat. They should have been outside Ghoudaïa by now, but they were still in Shirshet.

It was frustrating. Like fighting goblins in the forests of Boeruine. Hard to find them, difficult to chase them. Briefly he wondered how his kin were doing. It was a long time since he'd come to the South Coast with Martin Royce. Too long. He should go see them sometime. Once this crusade was over...

DM Bjørn

• Sovereign
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2012, 11:22:10 PM »
Amidst yet another heavy shower of rain General Griene’s daydreams came to a sudden stop. “Like fighting goblins in the forests of Boeruine…” Those goblins they finally caught by offering them bait. Griene had been among the men that volunteered that day to dress as peasants and work the fields in the shadow of the looming forest, their weapons digged down in the dirt. They had left their armour in the barracks and that had almost cost him his left arm. It had cost him a clipped ear and earned him his nickname “Blodaxe”.  That grim day the goblins took the bait and though the price was higher than Griene liked he had to admit the charade had worked wonderfully. The real peasants however had paid a heavy toll as they had been forced to do real work together with the soldiers. That was one of the reasons he did not reenlist in the Dukes guards but instead joined the templar’s of IHH and went south with Royce.

Now to the task at hand rain or not. How to find the proper bait for the harassing locals? How to make it look like security was lax and yet make ready for the trap to spring? There would be no involving civilians this time though – he had sworn to that after that grim day. Besides there where but the camp followers and they would never agree to that anyway. He wiped some more rain of his scared face and called for his adjutant to find General Artheuer and ask him to join him. Maybe the baggage train could hold more than just the baggage? It would be a great risk to take because if it failed the scorched earth tactic already so skillfully employed by the enemy would truly take its toll on the army…

JP feel free carry on  :)

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2012, 10:31:46 AM »
OOC: Very nice to see some narrative mixed with the OOC. Keep it up.

OOC: Then the IHH can have 1 scout ranging ahead, 2 scouts guarding the IHH mounted detachment. The KoH has 1 scout guarding their mounted detachment.

Scouting detachment  (to Ghoudaïa through Shirshet)

IHH
Unnamed commander
Scouts, Skilled

Mounted force (to Ghoudaïa through Shirshet)
Two generals, no overall commander

IHH
General Runil Griene
1 Knight, Elite
2 Armsmen mnt, Crack
2 Dragoons, Crack
2 Scouts, Skilled

KoH
General A. Welling
Knights (KoH) Legendary Crusade Gen Welling
Mtd Armsmen (KoH) Crack Crusade Gen Welling

Tinsouf siege force
No general

IHH
Unnamed commander
2 Regulars, Skilled
4 Pikes, Skilled
4 Crossbows, Skilled
2 Skirmishers, Skilled

KoH
Commander Kalien 'Fellsword'
Pikes (KoH) Skilled Crusade Gen Welling
Scouts Green Crusade Gen Welling
Artillerists Skilled Crusade Gen Welling

Dwarven mercs
Commander Heiri Wainier
Engineers
Engineers
Artillerists
Guards
Crossbows
Crossbows
DM Bjørn

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2012, 11:46:55 AM »
Ghoudaïa

Regardless of the difficulties with enemy skirmishers the crusaders push forward and reach reach the capital of Ghoudaïa. It is a large fortified city overlooking the Asarwe river. Taking the city without a siege will be difficult and costly. Taking it with a siege will take months, even with the siege train you've got

Scouting detachment  (scout Sulaïa)

IHH
Unnamed commander
Scouts, Skilled

Mounted force (to Ghoudaïa through Shirshet)
Two generals, no overall commander

IHH
General Runil Griene OK
Knight Elite OK
Armsmen mnt Crack OK
Armsmen mnt Crack OK
Dragoons Crack W
Dragoons Crack E
Scouts Skilled E
Scouts Skilled E

KoH
General A. Welling OK
Knights (KoH) Legendary OK
Knights (KoH) Crack OK
Knights (KoH) Crack OK
Mtd Armsmen (KoH) Crack OK
Mtd Armsmen (KoH) Elite OK
Mtd Armsmen (KoH) Vet OK
Mtd Armsmen (KoH) Vet OK
Scouts Green E
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 03:49:51 PM by DM B »
DM Bjørn

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2012, 11:50:32 AM »
The province of Tinsouf has a castle (3) guarding the approaches from Rohrmarch. It has been invested and siege equipment is being constructed. Depending on how aggressive you want to be it could conceivably be taken within the month. The province also has a for law (2) and fort guild (2).

Tinsouf siege force
No general

IHH
Unnamed commander
Regulars, Skilled
Regulars, Skilled
Pikes, Skilled
Pikes, Skilled
Pikes, Skilled
Pikes, Skilled
Crossbows, Skilled
Crossbows, Skilled