Author Topic: #69 Court in Elinie / Domineering Temple  (Read 12578 times)

Offline X-Haelyn's Aegis/RK (Andy)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 42
Re: #68 Court in Elinie / Domineering Temple
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2011, 12:49:09 AM »
Robhan turns to the assembled nobles.

"I know that the nobility has concerns over recent events and the Patriarch's intentions.  I understand that you likely wish to0 receive assurances that once the LPA has been prevented from further aggression that your lands and rights will be honoured and respected."

"I would hear your concerns, and will ensure that any which are fair are answered fully and to your satisfaction.  Well your lordships, what are your concerns?  What do you need to know of the future?  What questions do you have of me?  what concerns d you have over the reduction of the LPA?"
Robhan Khaiarén
High Marshal of Haelyn's Aegis
Work hard, walk with honour, be justly rewarded

Offline X-Points East

• Grand-Maester of the P&H
  • Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 15
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2011, 01:30:05 AM »

IC:

Having learnt, from one of her aides, of the High Marshal's march toward the library, Elamien returns.  She arrives at the doorway, during the early part of his speech, and listens to the rest of it in silence.

Offline X-Osoerde (Alan)

• The Dragon
  • Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Regency: 21
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2011, 02:35:38 AM »
Messengers from Osoerde, enroute to Morocoser, arrive in Solias curious to the welfare of the Patriarch.  They seem to think him ill or worse, if Ansien is occupied by Ghoriens, as they were told in their travels.
Yes, wyrmling, the meat is made all the more tender by armor...

Offline X-Points East

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2011, 06:51:34 AM »

IC:

In the surprise and confusion, which follow the arrival of the Osoerdean emissaries and their sudden words, the Amira-Zawja of Elinie seems to be focused, not upon the news, but upon certain hand-written messages:—two sent and two received.  Then, as calm returns to the minaret library, a prominent aide appears beside her in the arched doorway, which she has not yet left.  He hands her a scroll, which she unrolls, briefly, and the words upon which she peruses, carefully; and she proceeds to entre the room, with an authority to her gait, which she does not often manifest.

And she speaks, holding the scroll in the hand of her upraised arm, for all to see:  “I hold, here before you, a sacred thing:  for the words upon this parchment represent peace.  Ignore them, dismiss them, or squabble over them:—and all of you may soon look back upon this sacred thing and upon this sacred chance with more than a mere regret.

“I am an Avanalite.  And I have never strayed from this faith, even in the days of joy and sorrow, when I was married,—which was joyous,—outside the cathedral, wherein I have worshipped, during the entire course of my adult life:—a most sorrowful circumstance.  However, this personal sorrow of mine pales in comparison to the great and many sorrows, which Elinie has known, of late.  But will religious schism ameliorate our situation?  Will civil war? . . . We, all, know that only further sorrow will come of these things.

“I hold, here, the draft of a Tripartite Treaty.  The acting High Hierophant, Mohammad al-Rasshad, is ready and willing to sign it.  I, Guildmaster and Amira-Zawja, am ready and willing to sign it.  But will the third party, the Last Imperial Duke of the Eastern Marches, sign it with us and bring prosperity, by the stroke of a quill, to his Imperial Duchy?

“Reconciliation is not easily realised:  to-day’s happenings are proof enough of that.  But the Life & Protection has agreed to many points, which, in my mind, clearly demonstrate concern for the people of Elinie and for their lords.  Firstly:  to give up all claims to the law of the land.  Secondly:  to bestow blessings upon at least three provinces of Elinie, without fail, henceforth . . . and to do so without any monetary compensation for a period of several months.  Thirdly:  to recognise the legality of the Patriarch’s marriage and the legitimacy of any heirs, which might come of that union.  Fourthly:  to agitate on behalf of the Patriarch in at least one province of Elinie for eight consecutive seasons . . . without requesting any form of monetary compensation.  And, lest there be any doubt in your minds, Mohammad has assured me that, whenever possible, this agitation will extend to multiple counties.  So, I ask:  are these not signs of a temple, which cares deeply for the commonweal?

“In return, the Life & Protection asks but one thing of any consequence:  that the Patriarch embark upon an holy quest of pilgrimage, to explore and to recall the origins of his faith, which I know to be stronger than my own.  The former High Hierophant, Gaerred Khaiarén, would accompany him; and their joint travels would be a symbol of, both, the end of strife and the restoration of concord, in the lands, which are our home.

“Words can have a certain edge; an edge can offend; and offense can stir up dark emotion.  But are we not the masters of our emotions?  So, let us forget the edge and the offense and the emotion; and let us strive for a future, in which the prosperity of Elinie will have been restored to its natural condition.  Such a future will come, not via war, not via destruction, and not via religious strife:  such a future will come only via concord and coöperation . . . which are inherent in this sacred thing, which I hold, still, in my hand.

“Read it, my dear husband; and tell me if it be not peace incarnate.”

In a relatively quiet but still clearly audible voice, she then adds, as she offers the scroll to the Patriarch, “My tongue grows weary.  Perhaps, to my relief, the time for ink and quill is arrived.  Mohammad will come, if you will sign.”

Offline X-Elinie/RiD (Niels)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 19
  • Formerly Star of the East
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2011, 08:08:53 AM »
"The clause of good intent has been stricken from this treaty, this is exactly the poison that caused the break in negotiations."

"LPA gains, PETG gains, Elinie suffers her liege to be sent away to quest by dubious design. A suggestion last seen when I returned from the S&C where I saved the life of the Baron of Roesone, much to my own mortal peril."

" - And yet still, the simple words to promise that the LPA will work as if the people of Elinie were part of her is absent, instead reduced to 8 seasons of specific agitation."

"I do not need those words in writing. I needed them to my face and in earnest."

"No. I will take my stand with Robhan and those loyal to Elinie."

"With news of our neighbors troops in parts of Elinie, I ask now my vassals that you stand with me. The LPA will be recast in the image of ArA"

"Those who will accept the one premise that not I, but the people of Elinie, are their charges to be protected and nourished, should turn to ArA now lest they be purged."

"Let it be so."

Patriarch Rashid looks expectantly at his nobles. This is probably one of those times where one practice the old kneebend or start running for the door.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 08:22:17 AM by Elinie/RiD (Niels) »
Formerly: His Grace, Patriarch Rashid ibn Daouta, Last Imperial Duke of the Eastern Marches, Duke of Elinie, Master of Sutren Hills, Holy Paladin of Avanalae, Light of Reason.

Offline X-Points East

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2011, 09:30:50 AM »

IC:

Calmly, Elamien addresses her husband, "Of course my guild would gain from that treaty.  Every domain in Elinie would gain from that treaty.  And your domain would gain the most.

"But, aside from these facts, it was I, who chose to include the item on agitation, that you might read it with your very eyes.  It was originally a promise, in simple words, from the acting High Hierophant, who is presently too concerned with self-preservation to speak to you, in person."

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
  • Regency: 51
    • Twilightpeaks.net - Hone of Ruins of Empire
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2011, 09:45:11 AM »
Baron Blaede: "And this you want us to believe? That all parties were in agreement when suddenly a quarrel erupted over some pieces of gold? That the disagreement was such that your face has turned red and that of the Hierophant white?"

The Baron gets up from his seat.

"And there are no other hidden agendas and other foulness going on behind the scenes? Nothing at all? Because if some gold is all that stands between ruin and salvation, then I shall gladly pay out of mine own pocket! And Marquis Rashid will take his wayward son and beat some sense into him."

He stops and looks at Elamien.

"But if this is yet another trick, another attempt at humiliating your proud and loyal nobles...then rest assured, we will know, and then you shall learn that you are not alone when it comes to fits of righteous wrath.

So how is it going to be? Is there still hope, or has all reason fled these lands?"
DM Bjørn

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2011, 09:46:51 AM »
Count Dhon: "If I may add; had the Archduke of Osoerde been here right now...he would have laughed heartily I think. My House has lands in Aerenwe...we well known the 'friendship' that Osoerde offers. And do not forget - our alliance with Mhoried has grown cold of late, while I hear that William Osoer and this new Constantine Mhor have recently forged a new treaty."
DM Bjørn

• Former players
  • Regent
Re: #69 Court in Elinie / Domineering Temple
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2011, 12:44:49 PM »
”Baron Khaiarén, Count Dhon, the fault lies not with Points East.”

“You have heard the words of the High Marshal. There is nothing to stop the LPA from continuing this behavior.”

“Even if Interrim High Hierophant al-Rasshad were to come here this second, and speak soothing words and promises that LPA will care for the people of Elinie, how can we trust them?”

“The point is their many past betrayals and continued refusal to recognize that this behavior is not going to be accepted by Elinie.”

“You would have a State Faith that agitates the surrender of Elinie to foreign lords?”

“I have invited neither Ghieste nor Osoerde to send their troops here. They are here for something, smelling blood in the water. Will one counter the other, I know not.”

“Why either would be here without someone inviting them, is even harder to fathom. They would not be here to aid a temple. Either could be here if they had been encouraged by nobles promising fealty or lands.”

“I believe the LPA and their supporters came here with an agenda to get this matter ‘sorted’ so that they can continue their work to undermine my rule in peace and quiet.”

“Osoerde still seeks someone to punish for the death of Gerad and the rape and slaying of Count Riordians daughter tears at my sense of justice. As long as the LPA has an interest in protecting those guilty, this will never be resolved.”

“Should we close the doors and talk more of this then?”
Formerly: His Grace, Patriarch Rashid ibn Daouta, Last Imperial Duke of the Eastern Marches, Duke of Elinie, Master of Sutren Hills, Holy Paladin of Avanalae, Light of Reason.

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2011, 01:48:46 PM »
Rashid al-Rasshad: "It is perhaps you who should be interested in closing the doors to the past Patriarch. We, the nobility, have agreed between us, after much persuasion by Blaede, to let the past be the past. Which is hard, seeing as how you have a long record of working against your loyal followers. But by all means, if you wish to explore the death of Gerad and the ignoble fall of House Riordian...then by all means do so.

And furthermore my son will do as we dictate, or we will find another leader who will, there is no question about that. And Blaede will cover what petty coins you feel cheated of, though heavens know your wife has aplenty. So why is it that you cannot trust the LPA? Surely the actions of High Hierophant Haensen, and Gaerred's misguided attempts to follow in her footsteps, cannot damn all the temple? Ah, save that one Hierophant which conveniently let you create your little pet 'temple'.

Yes, buy all means, let us open the doors of the past...but the loser will be you, Patriarch, none other."
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 02:51:06 PM by DM Jon »
DM Bjørn

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2011, 05:32:38 PM »
"I am surprised Marquis. Not that it is Baron Khaiarén that has urged this, but that you seem to indicate that they have been fully briefed by yourself."

"It might have been prudent, if your Excellencies had included me in your agreement or even discussion. I have nothing that will not stand under scrutiny and proper explanation. Better suited for a private discussion yes, but nothing to regret."

"Indeed this 'working against my loyal followers' rings false to me. If I have shown caution it has only been because the trust to me seemed scorned in the opposite direction."

"As for Count Riordian, the man was utterly convinced that I was responsible for his daughters death. He swore to my face that Elinie would forever be his foe and that he could not be my loyal vassal under any circumstances. - While the people of Osoeriene was suffering, the LPA refused to divest Teried. I asked the HA for aid, and they sent Marshal Riordian who interviewed Count Riordian before finally divesting him."

"No other solution was available at the time."

Rashid looks each man in the eyes. "I did not have a hand in the rape and murder of Count Riordians daughter and while Gerad was condemned to death, I had no stake in the plan to murder him at the Riordian's castle."

"I mourn his death. I wish things could have been different. By Elinien law, an outlaw is to be hunted down. I had people looking for him. - But never would I seek to dishonor his and my family name, nor to estrange myself from a loyal vassal."

"The Osoeriene landscape was ruined. By who? - Baron Tshalen, a ghoul, laid siege to Chalsedon and later vanished north. Did Gerad's men, Elinien soldiers, burn the country they were here to invade?"

"In fact I think we speak too little of the past, and too many details remain hidden in it."

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2011, 06:22:16 PM »
Blaede cuts of Rashid al-Rasshad from replying: "You pick you words very carefully Patriarch. Perhaps you should be even more careful. I have spent a great deal of time finding out what has transpired in this fair land, and not all of those findings reflect well upon you. As I have already repeated; we are willing to put everything behind us, for the betterment of Elinie. Even the fact that - regardless of who might have done what - we are now one great lord less, and the Marquis al-Rasshad, who fought most valiantly to defend Elinie, is gravely weakened...while this wife of yours now wields far more power then she should. For Elinie are we willing to do this.

Now, about the LPA...the LPA, under Haensen and Khaiarén, did a great many things they should not have. You will not find any man disagreeing with you there. And if the al-Rasshad is of the same persuasion, and Marquis Rashid cannot control his son, then a new one can be found. The LPA WILL follow the lead of the nobility and the Patriarchate - there can be no other way. Is that not enough? What more does the Patriarch need? What does he truly want? I hope not it is with the new temple you put your hopes? It will never take - if the LPA withers, then the Militant Order, or the Aegis, or some other temple will grow stronger. Is that the path you seek?"
DM Bjørn

Offline X-Points East

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2011, 08:24:07 PM »

IC:

"I do know my share of tricks, good Baron", states Elamien.  "But I do not employ them in an inflammable atmosphere, where the least spark might cause a great conflagration.

"My power, however, is not so great:  or there should be peace already."

Offline DM B

• Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2011, 09:01:53 PM »
Count Dhon nods sagely in support of that comment; clearly, where he in charge, there would also already be peace...
DM Bjørn

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2011, 09:41:32 PM »
"This is all news to me."

"When I entered those negotiations, I did so under the belief that there was a schism between my nobles. That there were explicit posturing being performed."

"When the hearing began, Mohammad declared the matter settled before we have even begun."

"If you tell me nothing, then I will assume and sense that things are afoot that is kept hidden from me!"

"How could I do less for the sake of Elinie? - For you? - All I knew was that apparently the LPA was forcing yet another concession from Elinie."

"As I sense we are united in a desire for peace, and that your Excellencies will monitor the LPA, I agree to return to the negotiations."

"As for the PETG and Elamien's personal estates, I know my wife is aware of your concerns."

"With your permission I will bargain as if you are each willing to increase the tribute to my court slightly. These monies will be earmarked towards paying a fair remuneration to the temples for blessing the land."

"I believe the LPA is present most strongly in Ansien, Osoeriene, Soileite and Hope's Demise. These therefore are most beneficial for LPA to bless."

"The remuneration I have in mind will be balanced to favor the LPA most, when the people are steady. This should motivate to bring that end about."

"Do I have your support along these lines?"