Author Topic: The future of the Anuirean nobility  (Read 19775 times)

Offline X-Roesone/ARR (Robert)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 18
  • Arvour Raemel, Baron of Roesone
Re: The future of the Anuirean nobility
« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2009, 12:15:47 AM »
Arvour nods at both the patriarch's and the pointiff's statements

"No one here doubts the validity of Lord William's title. There was always a debate on whether it is a particular bloodline or being the natural offspring of a dynasty that grants one the right to rule and to bear the accompanying title. In the case of Osoerde, it is clear that an exception has been made, by Haelyn's divine grace, blessed be his name, but regardless of the name change made by the archduke or his altered bloodline, he is the natural son of the late archduke and thus the legitimate ruler of Osoerde. I believe we can all agree on that."
Arvour Raemel, by the Grace of Haelyn Baron of Roesone etc, Champion of Cuiraecen

Offline X-Osoerde (Alan)

• The Dragon
  • Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Regency: 21
« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2009, 12:17:40 PM »
Does this, more than other vague examples, not exemplify that it is the man, the stature, that defines the title one can take?"

"How so, Patriarch?  By your very implication, it is not by the blood, the divine right granted by the gods, but rather...what?"
Yes, wyrmling, the meat is made all the more tender by armor...

Offline X-Elinie/RiD (Niels)

• Former players
  • Regent
  • Regency: 19
  • Formerly Star of the East
« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2009, 12:46:35 PM »
Does this, more than other vague examples, not exemplify that it is the man, the stature, that defines the title one can take?"

"How so, Patriarch?  By your very implication, it is not by the blood, the divine right granted by the gods, but rather...what?"

Patriarch Rashid turns, slowly, to face the Archduke. "Blood will tell, as the saying goes. I do not recall having said the unblooded should rule. Are you reading my mind good Archduke?"

Disarmingly he makes a flourishing bow and continues; "Please, we are not before the Chamberlain, and were you reading my mind, you would not make such suggestion as you do.

Indeed, what you seem to confirm, is that any man with blood has the divine right to rule. Or woman, in the case of many rulers.

And I have never disputed this. What seems to lie close to heart in this room however, is who gets to call themselves what, and by who's authority.

The Chamberlain has refrained from making comments in, well, forever, and even so, we have several new dukes showing their face all over Anuire.

I do not want to tell them they can't call themselvess what they like. And neither do you, or the Pontiff seem to." A short pause before he continues.

"Thus, the matter remains, that the loud instigater of this discussion, seems to be the only one with enough ire and persuasion of spirit, to point out that modern noble titles seems to degrade into how much land swears fealty to you.

And yet, we do have a minimum of two, new, dukes with no more land under them than an average Baron."

Rashid eyes the Pontiff, before going on; "Fortunately, with the mandate of Haelyn so vocal and active, we are assisted, us mere mortals, as to the divine will of mighty Haelyn by his voice on Cerilia, the most Magnificient Pontiff.

And if he says, that dukes are dukes, and archdukes remain archdukes, beyond the gates of death, then it must be true. Verily, the will of Haelyn.

Or would you argue against the will of Haelyn, Archduke Osoer?"
Formerly: His Grace, Patriarch Rashid ibn Daouta, Last Imperial Duke of the Eastern Marches, Duke of Elinie, Master of Sutren Hills, Holy Paladin of Avanalae, Light of Reason.

Offline X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper)

• Sovereign
  • Pontiff Wallac Isilviere, High Prefect of the IHH
« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2009, 12:55:35 PM »
With ice in eyes the Pontiff rise.

"Patriarch Rashid do not turn my words around. I said Archduke William Osoer is by the will of Haelyn rightfull Archduke of Osoerde as proven by his resurrection from dead. Whatever I mean besides that I said only that. I did not in anyway speak on rightfull titles elsewhere or not.

Choose your words with great care or be silent. Take heed of this warning and show the propper respect for Haelyn's miracle"

A briliant light shimmers from the Pontiffs right fist. The fist remains clenched
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 12:57:38 PM by IHH/Pontiff Wallac Isilviere (Kasper) »
His Holiness Wallac Isilviere, Pontiff of All Anuire, High Prefect of the Impregnable Heart of Haelyn

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #49 on: March 18, 2009, 01:41:01 PM »
Rashid takes quick strides to place himself before the Pontiff, he then bows deeply and speaks in his raspy voice; "My Pontiff, I have shown nothing but proper respect for the miracle of Haelyn!

If you construe my words as anything but, it is you, who turn my words around, and not I turning words on you!

But I will give apology for having disturbed your Holyness' sense of propriety, if that is what I have done.

But help us then, I plead of you, most Benevolent Pontiff, what Do you feel on the titles of Ghieste and Tornilen? - Are they dukes or not?"
Formerly: His Grace, Patriarch Rashid ibn Daouta, Last Imperial Duke of the Eastern Marches, Duke of Elinie, Master of Sutren Hills, Holy Paladin of Avanalae, Light of Reason.

Offline X-Osoerde (Alan)

• The Dragon
  • Former players
  • Sovereign
« Reply #50 on: March 18, 2009, 02:04:13 PM »
"Patriarch, twice you have charged that I read minds -- a minor offense. Apparantly, one should not apply reason to your words; this is troubling, I admit, when you do not seem to say what you intend to mean," William says.

"Perhaps, Patriarch, you can inform us by what your words should be measured?"

Offline X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper)

• Sovereign
  • Pontiff Wallac Isilviere, High Prefect of the IHH
« Reply #51 on: March 18, 2009, 02:26:14 PM »
The Pontiff nod in approval to Osoers words.

"Yes Patriarch please inform us?"
His Holiness Wallac Isilviere, Pontiff of All Anuire, High Prefect of the Impregnable Heart of Haelyn

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #52 on: March 18, 2009, 02:48:03 PM »
Facing both the Pontiff and the Archduke, Rashid speaks; "Now, now, gentlemen. The first was retracted, the second a humorous reference to the first. This is not the Conclave, but a gathering of nobles in amicable discourse. If humour has no place here, are things not grim in Anuire?

Surely we cannot let the discussion be derailed by mere semantics.

I believe I asked the Pontiff what his view were on Ghieste and Tornilen. Are their leaders dukes before the eyes of Haelyn?"

With a hand raised, Rashid continues; "And if you wish to, again, make accusations on my honor or respect for Haelyn, do, I implore you, hold your ire until the asked question is answered. I believe it to be critical, as the Pontiff so clearly is the voice of policy spoken aloud."
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 03:24:59 PM by Elinie/RiD (Niels) »

Offline X-DM Jon

• Former players
  • Sovereign
  • Slide
« Reply #53 on: March 18, 2009, 02:54:47 PM »
Lord Dosiere can merely watch while his original thrust degrades into a verbal melee. Alot of nobles who'd never done so before suddenly jumping on the bandwagon of self-proclaimed dukes... It seemed indeed like the Empire was as good as fallen completely into ruin.

Offline X-Osoerde (Alan)

• The Dragon
  • Former players
  • Sovereign
« Reply #54 on: March 18, 2009, 03:45:00 PM »
"Patriarch, perhaps you should leave humor to the Fools." Osoer says.

"The Sword Mage, she is clearly NOT a Duchess, and wholly unfit to bear such a title.  Were she to claim the title, Marquis, or perhaps Baroness, I would have no issue or regard, as such can be deemed appropiate for her actions with regards to the Lost," he says, before the Pontiff responds.

"Guildmaster Ghieste is another issue altogether.  Unlike the Sword Mage, I do not know the extent of his bloodline and lineage, as such, I am unprepared to make such a statement regarding his title."
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 03:49:27 PM by Osoerde/William Osoer (Alan) »

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #55 on: March 18, 2009, 04:34:56 PM »
"Indeed," the Patriarch rebuts; "I do not know the descent of the Swordmage either.

I am at an impassé. Either you, somehow, know more than the rest of us, or you are speculating and simply certain in your conviction.

Please," Rashid says, his tone hard; "explain how you judge who is fit for title, if not by descent.

Do only those, whose bloodlines were appointed by the last Emperor, or before, have the right of Anuirean duchal titles?

Yes or no, Archduke, if you please."

Offline X-LPA/Gaerred Khaiarén (Gray)

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Regency: 10
  • High Hierophant Gaerred Khaiarén
« Reply #56 on: March 18, 2009, 04:39:15 PM »
"Good Patriarch, the Sword Mage is Vos.  This alone should be enough, I would think for most."

Offline X-Tornilen/SM (Alexander)

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Regency: 22
  • Duchess Marya Tanar
« Reply #57 on: March 18, 2009, 04:40:11 PM »
At the exchange between the Patriarch, the Pontiff and the Archduke the Swordmage simply smiles, making no comment.

Then she speaks after the Archduke's words.

"My Lord, you have a tendency to declare your opinions as fact. You have previously declared the intention of other, as you saw them, and then called it fact. Now you on one hand claim that only the Gods and imperial authority can grant titles - deeming if people are fit to have them or not. On the other hand you claim the authority to declare people unfit."

She regards the Pontiff.

"Your Holiness, after I became Duke I went before the Conclave to be judged. Pontiff Aurlien or anyone else never made protests against my title - is this not true?"
Marya Tanar, The Sword Mage
Duchess and Mage of Tornilen

Offline X-LPA/Gaerred Khaiarén (Gray)

• Former players
  • Noble
  • Regency: 10
  • High Hierophant Gaerred Khaiarén
« Reply #58 on: March 18, 2009, 04:53:55 PM »
"Because, he IS an Archduke, Sword Mage.  Lacking an Emperor, I look to the Archdukes and His Imperial Excellency, Chamberlain Dosiere, to determine who amongst the Peerage, they consider 'Duke'."

"Frankly, just because a man calls himself a 'Paladin' does not mean that he is recognized as such, there are clear qualifications for such, and a body to make the determination and adhere to it. It makes prefect sense that such is true of a Duke," she says.

"And it seems fitting that the Archdukes of the Anuirean Empire, deem such, whether tacitly or explicitly."
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 05:14:41 PM by LPA/MH (Gray) »

• Former players
  • Regent
« Reply #59 on: March 18, 2009, 06:13:58 PM »
The Patriarch looks at the High Hierophant, it is not surprise on his face, but disappointment, then he rasps; "A little more Faith most Holy High Hierophant, in me. There is a reason you support me and my father.

I would not see you descend to the disease of mindreading that seems to plague this gathering. I, have not been asked to choose a side, nor have I any inclination to. The only one here, who seems adamant in so doing, is the Archduke.

Do you believe it is for my own amusement, that I take up the mantle of battered Reason? - I am a Paladin, and as you correctly declare, this is not something any man can call himself. More!

I am a Paladin of Avanalae, goddess of Reason and Philosophy, and my questions serve only to further Mans understanding, and, as my wicked, wicked goal is the eventual prosperity of All of Anuire."

Rashid turns, looking each noble in the eye; "Once we see, that we can work together, sovereign realms, instead of instigating a new period of hostility and abuse of power, to grasp what remains of an ancient empire, only then!

Will we be able, to truly become that Empire once more. Only when liege do not harry vassal, but realm accords realm due validation and rights, will we have a foundation that will last centuries.

See the realm created by Lord Raenech! - It is shattered, in pieces, with the ending of the life of one man.

So when I ask the Archduke, whether he believes bloodline or lineage carries the right to title, then it is to but remind him, that he himself carries a burden heavier than most. Yet he does not carry it evenly, but uses it, to burden those that could be his staunchest of allies.

Thus, here we are, throwing words."

Rashid looks about him, then says, with a laugh. "I have spent my words for today." He then begins to leave the room, his bodyguards following.